PDA

View Full Version : Lawn renovation question - new lawn

Eaton_mtl
04-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Hi
I need to lay sod at some client house and I am wondering If I have all the right step figured out well.

It is a small lawn and the soil is really hard

1. I will remove any old lawn with a sod cutter or a shovel depending on the area.

2. I will remove any big debris and rocks from the surface , I might also remove some of the soil already there.

3. I will use a tiller and till the whole surface. Here comes my first question, for a tiller is a unit like the echo st210 or a stilh MM55 are good choice, remember i mostly do small lawn for and it is not tha biggest part of my business for now so a unit that can do the job for a few year and small area will be fine. If those units are not good enough i can rent one for now.
I can justify spending 400-700 $ but not 1000 + $.

3. After tilling I will had new topsoil but I am cluless on what to had. Should I just use Compost, a compost and black hearth mix or simply a regular gardening mix :confused:

4. then I will till again and equalize the soil with an empty grass roller

5. add fertilizer

6 lay the new sod and make a pass with a full grass roller

7 Tadam!!!! add water and wait for it to grow

Anyways , what do you guys think of that plan , if you have any suggestion they are more then welcome. I am only starting now to do full lawn renovation and I want to make sure I do everything the right way

Thanks alot I will let you know how it goes

Etienne

Eaton_mtl
04-27-2010, 11:45 PM
anyone know an answer
thanks alot in advance

bigslick7878
04-28-2010, 01:46 AM
Regular top soil will be fine.

Sounds like a plan.