PDA

View Full Version : Help Patriotic Hydrangea's / Vinegar & Baking soda / Red White Blue

robert payer
07-01-2002, 08:46 PM
I have 5 Hydrangea White Annabelle's. With the fourth of July coming I am thinking of making them Red-(Pink), White and Blue. Baking soda will make them one color. Vinegar will make them another color. Acid (Vinegar)= What color? Baking soda (Alkalin)= What color? What proportions should be used when mixing into water? Can I mix to heavy? I love my plants and do not want to kill them. Please help with any tips. Just a few days left.

Your advice is anticipated!

Thank You in advance!

AGLA
07-02-2002, 06:14 AM
We use aluminum sulfate (acid) to blue Nikko Blue, Lace Cap, and Compact Hydrangeas. I did not know that you could pink them.
I don't think you'll make the 4th on this one this year.

LawnLad
07-02-2002, 08:03 AM
Robert - I believe that Annabelle hydrangeas are white. The macrophylla (spelling?) hydrangeas, such as All Summer Beauty and Niko Blue, range in color from pink to blue depending on the concentration of aluminum ions in the soil. This depends in turn on the acidty of the soil. For blue color - pH of 5.0 to 5.5 and for pink pH of 6.0 to 6.5.

Since it takes so long to change the pH of the soil I don't know that you'll be able to change the color of the flower in three days. As well, you'd have to check your species.

You could use food coloring to die some of the flowers on the plant!

robert payer
07-02-2002, 08:33 PM
LawnLad and AGLA for your responses. Your insight is well grounded and insightful. My patriotic venture is being performed on a whim, at my own house, on favorite plants. Hope that they do not die. Did the deed last night. Mixed 3/4 of a box of baking soda and 2 gallons of water for one solution. The other solution was made of 1 pint of distiled vinegar and 2 gallons of water. No change in color as of yet. They are also not dead as of yet. Foolishly poured the solutions over the top of the plants. The plants treated with Vinegar have very LIGHTLY burned from the acid.

There are 5 of these white Annabelle's staggered in front of a red brick wall at the foundation of my house on one side of the front door. Looks spectacular with real high impact. Love them and the look of simple mass plantings. Should have left them alone. Always trying to tweak the way things look and play with every thing. Well I will let you know how things turn out. If they should die: "Time will be tonic "

One day I will learn how to get pictures onto this sight.

Thanks again Doug and ALGA! I will watch for your future threads when I am able to be of help.

robert payer
07-08-2002, 10:05 PM
Well guys, no luck with the vinegar nor baking soda on the hydrangea. Plants are again healthy. "Time was tonic"
I will attempt to learn how to post pictures soon. I would like to show some pictures of the beds and some "gardens?" at my house. They may not appeal to every one but I enjoy them. The keep it simple with mass plantings of high impact philosophy works great. Observation has always been the best teacher.

Your responses were apreciated.

Lawn Lad and Ohio members, Might want to check out a great book entitled "The Gardening book for Ohio" by Denny McKeown (the guy on the radio) 1100 AM Sunday mornings 9 AM? Web page is great also.
Check the book out. It is like no other. It is not comprensive on all plants just Dennys favorites and why. Three books all Ohio scapers should own: Dirr's, Ortho Problem solver and Gardening Book for Ohio. Think they can all found at the public library or most book stores.