PDA

View Full Version : Zero Turn for Tough Home Use?

kypeep
04-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Probably discussed a thousand times but here we go again....trying to help husband decide what mower to buy. Tough conditions - all types of ground from flat to hilly, rough, high grass, heavy use, fire ant mounds, the works. We have 10 acres of our own, former terraced cotton field now a lawn, and also will use the mower tfor a 12 acre horse pasture we lease, another smaller 5-acre horse pasture, and finally a flat spot around a polo field that amounts to probably 5 acres total. Basically, if it's tough on a mower terrain-wise, we got it.

So, what's a good mower out there and what price should we shoot for buying new? Husband is buying either 72" or 60" cut, not sure which. One of his important criteria is comfort - he's been beat up by the old 72" Hustler that came with the farm, and he would rather not repeat that (can't blame him, it's whupped me too).

trook
04-23-2010, 05:51 PM
It sounds like you might want to invest in a tractor with a brush cutter. However, if it's a ZTR you want, I think everyone here will say to definitely go with a commercial ZTR from one of the many well known companies such as Toro, Deere, eXmark, Ferris, Scag, etc.

I think you should go with whatever brand is sold locally. It seems that as a general rule of thumb, all true commercial quality ztr's are good.

kypeep
04-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Trook, thanks. We have the tractors and bushhogs- came with the farm. Husband hates the tractor ride, what can I say. Agree it will have to be commercial quality. He looked at Hustlers today. Any thoughts? Also, what negotiating room are we talking with most dealers???

Razorblades
04-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Probably discussed a thousand times but here we go again....trying to help husband decide what mower to buy. Tough conditions - all types of ground from flat to hilly, rough, high grass, heavy use, fire ant mounds, the works. We have 10 acres of our own, former terraced cotton field now a lawn, and also will use the mower tfor a 12 acre horse pasture we lease, another smaller 5-acre horse pasture, and finally a flat spot around a polo field that amounts to probably 5 acres total. Basically, if it's tough on a mower terrain-wise, we got it.

So, what's a good mower out there and what price should we shoot for buying new? Husband is buying either 72" or 60" cut, not sure which. One of his important criteria is comfort - he's been beat up by the old 72" Hustler that came with the farm, and he would rather not repeat that (can't blame him, it's whupped me too).

Most everyone says that the Ferris ztr's are the best riding mid mount out there, they have the 4 wheel suspension. I'm not sure of the cut quality on rough ground but then I doubt if any brand will leave a cut that is real even on your rougher ground.

there are at least four other brands that have some sort of dampening to either the front wheels (castors) or all four wheelsand are listed as follows;

Hustler Super Z--- has optional fles forks on front ,as well as a premium set option that has front to back movement ,as well as up and down movement. But some people have had a few problems over time, with the hydro's running hot and using up alot of power on hilly terrain.

Bad Boy AOS or Lightning series---, these mowers have the four wheel rubber blocks for some shock absorbsion.

Dixie chopper--- they have a few models that have a springer front fork option to help with the ride.

Landpride--- has a new model with a "telecaster fron fork setup and pivoting axle, both will help smooth out the ride.

There are a couple of brands (at least) that have operator platforms that have some type of absorbbin ability to help cushion the bumps. I think that Scag and Husqvarna has a series or model that has this type of feature. Maybe the scag Turf Tiger and the Husqvarna PZ series.

There are at least five brands that have a pivoting fron axle model which will help smooth out the ride on rougher ground, among these are; Everride Warrior, gravely Pro master series, country Clipper boss and charger models, Kubota series and Cub Cadet commercial Z's.

There is also a brand called Lastec that has a true articulating deck, which means that there are three deck sections and the outer deck sections articulate independently (they pivot) over uneven ground and contours. This also helps smooth out the ride. They also make mowers with 80" and up to 100" cut.

All of these mowers mentioned have a suspension seat of some kind...some better than others. If you have a little time, do a google search on these different brands and read up on their features. Then see which brands will have a dealer at an acceptable distance to you and then go look them over and try them out.

I know that this reply might not help you narrow your choices down any but I wanted you guys to know that there are alot of options out there, if available in your area.:rolleyes:

kypeep
04-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Razorblades - thank you. All very helpful information. I will pass to my husband, who will understand the lingo. Me, I'm the horse lady. And thus the cause of all this mowing....

Razorblades
04-23-2010, 10:52 PM
OK, good luck with your search!

kypeep
04-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Local dealer offering us Hustler Z4 60" with suspension seat, 125 hours, for $6500. Supposedly traded in by somebody who bought it for commerical use and then got out of lawns. Will include full 2 year warranty. Thoughts on price???

kypeep
04-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Oh, and the Hustler Z4 is a rear discharge. Not a problem for us that I can think of, but any input you have there is appreciated.

Razorblades
04-24-2010, 04:51 PM
What state are you in, if you don't mind telling? Do you have many commercial mower dealers around you? Do you know and like the dealer that has the Hustler Z4?

kypeep
04-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Alabama. No, not crazy about the dealer because they have dealership wrapped up for several counties, means you have to buy or service from them.....

Rear discharge not idea, after some thought, so still looking for side discharge. 60" or better cut but husband says 72" bigger than he wants to manuever in our yard.

Same dealer also offered Hustler fastrak super duty 60" 25HP for $6500. Still seems steep to me.

Private email kypeep@yahoo.com if anyone wants to bypass forum and chat directly about quality, prices, etc.

MS_SURVEYOR
04-24-2010, 05:25 PM
That's a nice z rider at fairly good price. As long as the first owner took care of it. Did they change the oil and filter on schedule. The same thing with the hydro system. Hows the paint look around the leading edge and sides of the deck for paint loss. Look under the deck for the condition of the metal, blades, and spindles. The same on the top of the deck. As the dealer if the oil and hydro filters are the originals from the factory. Pull the dip stick and look at the oil. Pull the air filter. Ask the dealer to grease the front zerks on the front caster wheels. If he just pumps and and pumps grease before it bottoms out, that rig has never been greased before. Those zerks are the easiest to get to. Look at the hydro lines and fitting where they connect from the oil reservoir to the hydro pumps, to the wheel motors for leaks. Test drive on pavement in a straight line for wobble in the front caster wheels. Look at the belts for heavy wear. The tires also. Test mow in some fairly heavy grass. See if the engine smokes. Do check the color of the hydo oil and level.

That should get you started. Like I said, a nice mower. It is listed as a 10 mph rig. I for one wouldn't want a rear discharge deck. That's just me. I mow my own grass in Mississippi, being mostly Bahia grass. I would have wind row after wind row of heavy grass being ready for hay baling.

Here's a link on your mower.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=285024&highlight=Hustler+Z4+is+a+rear+discharge

This should get you started. Warranties are good. I just hope never to use it.

ms

betmr
04-24-2010, 08:21 PM
I did not notice anyone advise a diesel engine. With the rough terrain and heavy mowing, the torque that a diesel puts out might be a good investment for you. They are typically more rugged than a gasoline model. Toro and Kubota make some very strong Diesel ZTR's. The less maintenance of a diesel, is another selling point, No Ignition system to give you trouble, less fuel consumption, and plenty of toque to mow through that tuff tall grass. And if it's weedy, that's even harder to mow. And a diesel engine will out last a gasser, two fold easily.

PS: I believe a rear discharge deck tends to "Wind row" the grass, whereas a side discharge spreads the clippings more evenly, In my opinion.

MS_SURVEYOR
04-24-2010, 08:34 PM
http://www.badboymowers.com/view/diesel-commercial-pricing

http://www.badboymowers.com/locations.php/mode/list

413golf
04-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Razorblades is right,the pivoting axle does help.I mow 65acres of pure hell with the everride brand and I'm pleased with it's ability to cut multiple grass situations with ease,I have a 54" Warrior with 80 hours on it.Well kept after the first 40hrs(thats when I bought it)Almost perfect condition.Built in 2009 straight from factory.I would sell for 5000.00.It has a 27 Kohler on it thats run perfect.I'm in Rainbow City Alabama;what part of the great state are you from?Wasn't just trying to sell a mower<I was excited to see a BAMER on here

kypeep
04-26-2010, 11:10 AM
I can get a new 61'' Ferris 26HP ENGINE MODEL# IS500 for $5799, no tax. Worth it?

We're up here in north Alabama. Plenty of terraced former cotton land to mow:hammerhead:

413golf
04-26-2010, 10:18 PM
As long as the ferris doesn't have a Briggs ELS engine on it,you should be in very good shape at that price.We're from north Alabama(Lookout Mountain)So howdy neighbor!The briggs Vanguard is the only Briggs that will hold up on the mowing you have to do.The Kohler will run you a thousand more but there will be no regrets, I promise.You will regret the Briggs on anything other than a half acre yard.You've been warned!!!!!!!The air filtration system is not enough for a big zeroturn:if it doesn't have a donaldson canister system on it,do not buy.ROLL TIDE!

413golf
04-26-2010, 10:31 PM
OK I just looked up the 500 series mower.I put 90 hours on this engine and it blew a main gasket,bought another one, same thing after 90 hours gone!I then got the kohler and put 400 hours on it and no problems.This mower is rated at 2.9 acres per hour.The 54" Everride will mower 6.5 acres,thats a huge difference!Stay away from the Briggs for you mowing needs.

kypeep
04-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Good to know about the engine. Our other option is a new 60" Hustler Fastrak super duty, 25HP, $6500 out the door. Painfully expensive. But dealer is 3 minutes down the road, probably an advantage there.

We can't go fast on the ground here. Would kill ourselves....I wish we could, but it's not happening unless we fill about 15 acres' worth of horse hoof divots, varmint holes, terraced fields. etc.

413golf
04-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Sounds much better than the other.Good dealer support is the MOST important thing.You can also check out Snapper PRO 200 series.But the hustler is is a safe bet.Oh see if they will put on some flexforks for free, it will smooth the ride out.

413golf
04-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Also keep in mind I have the 54" Everride warrior for sale for 5000.00.Warranty is up but it only has 75 hours on it!

KNIGHT81
04-27-2010, 02:42 AM
[QUOTE=kypeep;3539692]Good to know about the engine. Our other option is a new 60" Hustler Fastrak super duty, 25HP, $6500 out the door. Painfully expensive. But dealer is 3 minutes down the road, probably an advantage there.[QUOTE]

KYPEEP, I bought a Hustler Fastrak super duty, 25HP/60 inch w/ Kawasaki motor Saturday last. I am retiring from Arm this summer and getting started now lining up few clients. Plan to do this P/T in retirement to supplement retirement pay and to get away from the boss's "honey does" ;-).

I have put 8 hours on mine....its a beast. Best mower I've ever owned. Seemed like every duty station (ft Knox, sill, Erwin, benning, hood to name a few) I mostly saw Grasshoppers and Hustlers. DOD really does their homework when purchasing durable goods. Plus my dad has a Hustler Fastrak super duty, (i think) 48inch.

I paid $6,630.00 for mine and got the flex forks and light kit at cost plus 100 bucks labor pushing the price just under 7 grand. love the warranty, ROPS, top speed and the cut is awesome.

You won't regret your Hustler Fastrak super duty.

kypeep
04-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Decided to go with the Hustler 60" Super Duty. Wouldn't say we got a bargain - $6600 out the door delivered to us, including flex forks installed. However, it is about the best we could do locally, and as indicated, like the fact the dealer is within just a few minutes of house. Not crazy about fact that dealer has all the dealerships within miles wrapped up, but they have given good service on our older mowers. Something to be said for that - they have been here for years and can't imagine they won't be for many more years, family business.

KNIGHT81
04-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Decided to go with the Hustler 60" Super Duty. Wouldn't say we got a bargain - $6600 out the door delivered to us, including flex forks installed. However, it is about the best we could do locally, and as indicated, like the fact the dealer is within just a few minutes of house. Not crazy about fact that dealer has all the dealerships within miles wrapped up, but they have given good service on our older mowers. Something to be said for that - they have been here for years and can't imagine they won't be for many more years, family business.

You hit on my biggest concern.....in Topeka, Ks.....only one Hustler dealer - "Topeka Power Sports" which mostly deals motorcycles - Honda, Victory & Polaris quads and didn't seem particularly enthused by my business and their service concentrates on bikes. Next closest Hustler dealer is Lawrence, KC or Emporia. Thought about just running down to Heston to get one. But I wanted the best....I will look for a better local service center if theirs doesn't pan out. Good luck with your Hustler! I know I almost look forward to my grass growing now.

MS_SURVEYOR
04-27-2010, 05:07 PM
You hit on my biggest concern.....in Topeka, Ks.....only one Hustler dealer - "Topeka Power Sports" which mostly deals motorcycles - Honda, Victory & Polaris quads and didn't seem particularly enthused by my business and their service concentrates on bikes. Next closest Hustler dealer is Lawrence, KC or Emporia. Thought about just running down to Heston to get one. But I wanted the best....I will look for a better local service center if theirs doesn't pan out. Good luck with your Hustler! I know I almost look forward to my grass growing now.

I know what you mean about dealers. I've had my fill with them. Nothing like standing in line at the parts counter just to meet someone who hates their job. :hammerhead:

Or dealing with cheap mower owners! :rolleyes:

alanauer
05-09-2010, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't get a fancy mower just yet. The zeros are agile but not so good on hills and terrible for towing. You've already got tractors -- get a box-blade and use it to even out the hills, switching to a rear mower for trimming. After a year or two when your land is flatter, seed it and then look to a quality mower.