PDA

View Full Version : Buy ztr local or from internet and save $$$

brodo374
04-23-2010, 04:24 PM
I would like to buy a new ztr locally so that when problems arise I can get the problem corrected immediately, however can save exactly $1100 if i buy over the internet from a different dealer, add in the sales tax difference versus delivery, the savings total about $1500. I do have a backup for this mower so am leaning toward the internet purchase. I hate that my dealer will take his time with any repairs to my mower if I do not buy from him, but he will not negotiate his price any lower. Any advise on this matter. Is good dealer support worth $1500? Thanks for help

ToroLandscaper
04-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Depending on how busy you are and how often you are in need of dealer support....it can be priceless.

QualityLawnCare4u
04-23-2010, 04:31 PM
If your dealer is anything like mine (Toro) he will NOT work on it if it does not come from him. Yes, dealer support is priceless!!

brodo374
04-23-2010, 04:37 PM
I can understatnd putting someone towards the end of the line if the mower is not bought from them but if they are a dealer of the same brand (i.e. snapper pro) then don't they have an obligation to endorse the company's warranty and product?

williams lcm
04-23-2010, 05:10 PM
I saved about 2k ordering over the internet. I did not have a problem taking it to my dealer for service work. As long as it is the same brand they sell I don't think it would be a problem.

QualityLawnCare4u
04-23-2010, 05:21 PM
I can understatnd putting someone towards the end of the line if the mower is not bought from them but if they are a dealer of the same brand (i.e. snapper pro) then don't they have an obligation to endorse the company's warranty and product?

I took an internet price to my Toro dealer last year and he flat out told me "if you bring that mower to me it will sit around back for a couple of months before I even think about working on it" and the Toro rep was there at this time. Yes, they are suppose to honor the warranty but they can not be made to do so. Exmark dealer here is also the same way, don't buy from them, forget the warranty! I do understand them putting their buying clients first but dang being flat out rude if you don't buy from them.

KarlP
04-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Do you think (through prior experience or local reputation) that the dealer will drop everything to support you if you do buy from them and do have a problem? If so buy from them. Its worth supporting a GOOD local shop that will support their customers in return.

If not, $1500 buys a lot of parts and independent mechanic time. You can even ship it back and forth to the selling dealer once for any serious warranty service and still come out ahead at that price difference.

icobob
04-23-2010, 08:19 PM
what are the online dealerships websites that all of you use.

brodo374
04-23-2010, 08:28 PM
I saved about 2k ordering over the internet. I did not have a problem taking it to my dealer for service work. As long as it is the same brand they sell I don't think it would be a problem.

Did your dealer service your mower right away or put you at the end of the line. I think that will be my only problem

MONTE
04-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Local good dealer for me. Been the internet route not again.

ToroLandscaper
04-24-2010, 12:17 AM
I have only bought one new mower from a dealership, all my mowers have been used with low hours. I have never had a problem with dealer servicing my mower that I have not bought from them, and also they have not ever seem to put me on the backburner to service the machine.

topsites
04-24-2010, 03:57 AM
Same here, they don't want to work, I've got an old Kohler engine that's been sitting at the dealer since January.
All it needs is either valves or rings, it still runs but has compression loss...

Why, they always told me, bring us the work in winter, that's when we're slow!
All I want is for them to look at it, give me the F*&%^'n estimate and more than likely I'll tell them to fix it.

Maybe that's the problem, they didn't like that way of me saying I'm not paying a fortune.
Fine, they could have said as much but they didn't, instead they told me to leave it and they'll take care of it.

They took care of it all right, they ain't going to fix it, bastards just going to keep dragging their feet,
guess they thought that was a might funny way of communicating as much to me, now
I'm sure they ain't even touched it yet, maybe if it rains tomorrow like they're saying
I'll go pick it up and tell them I'm taking it to someone who appreciates the work.
Good thing I know someone who does, guess I failed to appreciate the humor in all of it.

So they don't want my business, that's fine, I'm tired of it too.

Next mower of mine ain't coming from them, they won't be servicing it either.
Matter of fact, they won't be ALLOWED to touch it!

Yes sir, I can play that little stupid game too.

fiveoboy01
04-24-2010, 05:03 AM
I took an internet price to my Toro dealer last year and he flat out told me "if you bring that mower to me it will sit around back for a couple of months before I even think about working on it"

If this is true, your dealer is a ******, I'd buy the mower online just to spite the jerk.

brodo374
04-24-2010, 05:44 AM
I have only bought one new mower from a dealership, all my mowers have been used with low hours. I have never had a problem with dealer servicing my mower that I have not bought from them, and also they have not ever seem to put me on the backburner to service the machine.

Well, the local dealer has already advised me that if I buy from him I get same day service. Buy from another---4 weeks. You have a very good dealer there. I believe that is the exception. You are lucky.

QualityLawnCare4u
04-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Well, the local dealer has already advised me that if I buy from him I get same day service. Buy from another---4 weeks. You have a very good dealer there. I believe that is the exception. You are lucky.

As you can see, dealers are different, some get great service and some expect you to bow down at their feet. I still say buying from your dealer is going to get you faster service if they are anything like mine. It just bites me to do business with a dealer that has the attitude mine has. I expect them to take care of their customers first but to tell me "I will not even look at it for 4 weeks" is being an azz.

tjlco
04-24-2010, 12:33 PM
I'd pay the extra 1500.00. When I can pull in my dealers parking lot at 730. Have the mechanic come into my trailer, in his street clothes (they don't open till 8 but he comes in a little early), and work on my stuff....that is priceless. But my dealer rocks!!!!

ToroLandscaper
04-28-2010, 01:22 AM

I reckon so, today I took in my Toro Diesel that I had in the shop two weeks ago getting the hydro fittings replaced because they were getting a little leaky...

drop the machine off tuesday and picked up the following tuesday (they said that fitting had to be ordered and they were really busy) so I do not feel that a machine in the shop for a week is really getting put on the back burner

then noticed it leaked some still and took the machine back down to the shop yesterday (monday) and they said they will try to get it squeezed in as soon as they could because it was a "bring back repair"

....seems like pretty good service for not buying a machine from them

jspray
04-28-2010, 01:34 AM
Please don't believe that a dealer has to or will work on it. All major ZTR mfg's have very strict rules against internet sales.

Good luck!

RTR Landscaping
04-28-2010, 01:37 AM
I'm not sure what brand mower your looking for, but have you been to Mid South Small Engines in Memphis? They sell Scag,Walker,SnapperPro,Stihl and RedMax.They offer excellent service if you buy from them. I will pay a premium price to support my local dealer. If you can't get your mower serviced, you'll lose that $1500 in lost time you're not cutting. To me it's a no brainer.

brodo374
04-28-2010, 11:43 PM
I'm not sure what brand mower your looking for, but have you been to Mid South Small Engines in Memphis? They sell Scag,Walker,SnapperPro,Stihl and RedMax.They offer excellent service if you buy from them. I will pay a premium price to support my local dealer. If you can't get your mower serviced, you'll lose that $1500 in lost time you're not cutting. To me it's a no brainer.

Mid South was significantly higher. I may regret it but i bought on line. I believe I will try in future to buy locally when possible. Thanks for the input.

Trevor8
04-28-2010, 11:54 PM
local because if you have a problem you can take it to the dealer and they will fix it asap.