PDA

View Full Version : top mowing speeds for ZTR

williams lcm
04-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Many companys list the top mowing speeds of their products. Say top speed is listed at 12mph. Is that transport speed or is that top mowing speed while cutting grass? Ferris list the top speed of the 3100 model at 12mph at 80% efficently. Hustler super z can go 15mph but is that the mowing speed? I want to know why companys list top speed of their machines if they can mow at that speed. Thanks

georgiagrass
04-24-2010, 04:01 PM
If I caught any of my guys mowing at that kind of speed, they'd be fired on the spot.

DKJLawnCare
04-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Many companys list the top mowing speeds of their products. Say top speed is listed at 12mph. Is that transport speed or is that top mowing speed while cutting grass? Ferris list the top speed of the 3100 model at 12mph at 80% efficently. Hustler super z can go 15mph but is that the mowing speed? I want to know why companys list top speed of their machines if they can mow at that speed. Thanks

I only go that fast for transport. i would say I mow somewhere around 5-6 mph on large open areas. Slower if need be

mowerbrad
04-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Not all mowers are capable of mowing at their top speeds. I could cut at top speed on my old dixie chopper (13mph) and it would leave a good cut (I'd only do that on large open properties). On my old bob-cat, I could mow at about 6mph (top speed was 8.5mph) and still leave a good cut.

The top speeds are really meant more for transporting the mower and even then the top speed is really only good on large properties or transporting it a "long" distance (ie, down the street to another account).

MrRob
04-24-2010, 04:55 PM
on a smooth large lawn when the grass isnt too long, I have been known to go top speed...I'd guess most guys mow half speed so the whole top speed spec isnt that important to me.

string 111
04-24-2010, 05:00 PM
My Hustler is good for getting away from bees.

AOD
04-24-2010, 05:32 PM
I've mowed at top speed on a Deere 777 in open areas and it still cut good. I mow close to top speed on my Z master, I guess georgiagrass would have canned me by now.

ashgrove landscaping
04-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Yep. I mow at top speed in wide open areas all the time with my ferris 3100 and it leaves a good cut. Of course I slow down just a little if it gets super heavy but even then it s just because habit. If the machine can do it, why wouldn t you. That s what they re built for.

brodo374
04-24-2010, 06:01 PM
It is usually faster to mow in top speed and go over it again if it needs it rathar than mowing slowly throughout yard

rcslawncare
04-24-2010, 06:17 PM
I mow around 3/4 speed most of the time unless it is in small spaces. I think it depends on the conditions most of the time, a bi-weekly will require you to go slower than a weekly account. Most mowers are fast on transport, but cannot leave a clean cut at that speed.

Uponone605
04-24-2010, 06:24 PM
It is usually faster to mow in top speed and go over it again if it needs it rathar than mowing slowly throughout yard

Thats fine for smaller residentials, but on large commercial accounts its impossible. I mow as fast as the machine will let me with keeping RPM. As the motor slows, i slow.

topsites
04-24-2010, 07:19 PM
If I caught any of my guys mowing at that kind of speed, they'd be fired on the spot.

Good answer.

RTR Landscaping
04-24-2010, 07:49 PM
I do not want my guys mowing at top speeds. You start losing cut quality on any Z when you get over about 10 MPH. It seems that the general public is MPH and horsepower crazy, wanting the biggest fastest mower around. Any manufacturer could gear a mower to run 25 MPH but when you get over 10 to 12 MPH your mower is out running the deck's ability to cut the grass. The blade tip speed factors in to quality of cut at higher speeds. My customers want a nice looking cut, so I'll run my Scags at a speed to give them what they want.

Hoy landscaping
04-24-2010, 08:02 PM
i run like 3/4 stuck usually in open areas and half in front yards, and small propertys.

Uponone605
04-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Thats fine for smaller residentials, but on large commercial accounts its impossible. I mow as fast as the machine will let me with keeping RPM. As the motor slows, i slow.

i should also add that mostly cut with a walker so my top speed is only 7mph w/ the speed up kit. Although 7mph feels a bit slow at times, i see no reason to be going faster the 10mph.

AOD
04-24-2010, 11:12 PM
The mower will tell you if you're mowing too fast, when you feel and hear your deck RPM's dropping you know it's time to slow down a bit. I usually mow over 3" so I am not taking tons of grass off. It also depends if I am mowing a nice, manicured area or some back 40 someplace where they just want the stuff knocked down.

mowerbrad
04-25-2010, 12:32 AM
I do not want my guys mowing at top speeds. You start losing cut quality on any Z when you get over about 10 MPH. It seems that the general public is MPH and horsepower crazy, wanting the biggest fastest mower around. Any manufacturer could gear a mower to run 25 MPH but when you get over 10 to 12 MPH your mower is out running the deck's ability to cut the grass. The blade tip speed factors in to quality of cut at higher speeds. My customers want a nice looking cut, so I'll run my Scags at a speed to give them what they want.

Blade tip speed does have alot to do with how fast a mower can cut. Most mowers have blade tip speeds of 18000-19000 FPM. My dixie chopper did allow me to cut at the top speed of 13mph because it has a faster blade tip speed than other mowers, it was running at around 20,000 fpm, so it gave cut better since the blade tip speed was 5%-10% faster than the competition.

Lawn by Deere
04-25-2010, 12:40 AM
I mow as fast as the terrain and cut quality will let me. Usually wide open

topsites
04-25-2010, 01:38 AM
I reckon some of you'll keep cutting at full speed until one day you go
to pull back on the sticks but the mower doesn't slow down.

It's not as unusual as one might think, I dare say even a part timer would experience this at least once in their first year.
Why it happens I'm not sure but it's a little bit like losing traction on a hill, only a matter of time.

It's a lot like taking a car on a gravel road or onto turf at good speed, stepping on the brakes
but instead of slowing down the wheels lock up and slide as if it were on ice, it actually feels
almost as if it was still picking up speed!
It's the same way on a Z, especially on turf.

Once that happens I can almost guarantee it will slow some operators down,
for those who keep going rest assured it was no freak accident, it will happen again.

JohnBanks
05-19-2010, 11:35 PM
I have the super z I mow at full speed and double up. Customers do give you **** for flying through their yard, but if you double it up, which I had to do with my 9.5 mph Deere anyway it saves a lot of time. Also with the 31 HP Kawasaki you can mow sh)T grass that is 12 inches tall and knock it down at full speed enough to keep code out of the yard.

15 is way faster than the Deere's 12 Mph, I am not sure if it is needed but boy it is fun. And all you guys that say you don't go that fast probably own Walkers and small ZTR's and walk behinds. Some of us like to get done and relax.

Sammy
05-20-2010, 12:44 AM
Some that like to go fast are just kids.

When they take Suzy Rottencrouch to the prom they can brag
about how fast their mower goes.

"Hey Baby, my mower goes 15 mph, wanna go for a ride ?"

cbkc
05-20-2010, 01:59 AM
Sammy that was the strangest comment I've read in a long time...lol

topsites
05-20-2010, 02:01 AM
The top rated speed of the mower is considered transport speed.

15 is way faster than the Deere's 12 Mph, I am not sure if it is needed but boy it is fun. And all you guys that say you don't go that fast probably own Walkers and small ZTR's and walk behinds. Some of us like to get done and relax.

Don't worry, at high speed it's only a matter of time before you'll smack into something one day, and it should help slow you down.

Shane100
05-20-2010, 02:14 AM
I cut as fast as I can. Which is different from one property to the next. If I can go at full speed and leave a great cut I do. Most of my accounts are not large enough, flat enough, or open enough to do so though. That being said I do also have a few that are 2+ acres, wide open, flat, and weekly which allows for 10mph mowing. Going any slower would be a waste of time.

So to answer your question I would say It is mowing speed with an asterisk*. Meaning under Ideal conditions.
Also I don't know why they claim the same mowing speeds with different hp on the same size decks. It only makes sense that you would have to mow slower with less hp under the same conditions if you were at the machines limits. But I could be wrong.

Shane100
05-20-2010, 02:34 AM
For example, this early April property which hasn't fully greened up and was sprayed with post emergent. Full speed ahead!
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/131/l_7aa3c1743c784b1abd5222779047db8b.jpg
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/129/l_58331f1d70ab4b8fa42c4fd2a8bfa3d0.jpg

Ron's TLL
05-21-2010, 11:54 PM
My Wright standers cut ok up to 5-6 mph (not full speed) on smooth ground. My Exmark new z (stolen last week) would give the same quality of cut on the same property at full speed, 10.5mph. I demoed a Hustler Super z with the 31 Kaw, and it also could cut the same property at full speed, 15mph. Smooth ground=good cut. As the ground gets bumpy and you start to bounce, you have to slow down to maintain quality of cut. I do have to say that I was surprised to see how fast the mowers would cut as long as the ground was smooth. Enough so that I am thinking of offering severely discounted prices on lawn rolling in the spring to be able to save time the rest of the year.

JohnBanks
05-22-2010, 01:09 AM
those new scag standers go 9mph. that might be a good mix. I mow a lot of large lots, and once you get you pattern down, you know which runs you can go fast on, and which have roots and things. The Hustler is something else, I dont' think it hurts it has that massive engine. They tried to get me to buy a deep discount 25 hp, but I don't think it would have gave the cut or speed the 31 gets. Not even close

Ron's TLL
05-29-2010, 11:45 PM
My personal experience so far with the Hustlers is the 60" with the 31 Kaw is a good mix. The 66" with the same 31 Kaw is not enough to keep the blade speed up. 34 may be?

dgw
05-30-2010, 07:30 AM
i cut a handful of sports fields with my gravely at full speed, as soon as i figure out how to get pics from my phone on here i will show it cuts just fine