PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Trimming?

Matt Hermann
04-23-2010, 06:35 PM
can you guys give me some tips on trimming? and tips on edging with a trimmer? i see some other professional buisnesses go so low along the edges...why do you guys do that? thanks for the help!

Matt Hermann
04-23-2010, 07:20 PM
anybody have any tips?

ed2hess
04-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Take the guard off and go to work. A trim guy takes about a month before he gets to the point of edging as fast as he can walk. I prefer walking forward on hard surface if I can. But you have to be able to walk in both directons and both sides.

Matt Hermann
04-23-2010, 09:42 PM
thanks, i took off the guard so i can see more of what i am doing. so far i am a one man show, and mow with a 21" and a trimmer. Planning on getting a better trimmer for under 200 soon, and next season getting a 42" walk behind or whatever size they are. any ideas on how to get good stripes on the 21" mowers?

coxslawncare
04-23-2010, 09:44 PM
typically walking backwards is faster for me and helps the line not miss as much. The rotation of the head is not pushing into you but away from you allowing you to kind of lock your arms in place and keep the trimmer more steady if that makes sense. If not try it and you will feel the difference

topsites
04-23-2010, 10:53 PM
ALWAYS wear safety goggles and hearing protection!

Merkava_4
04-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Keep the spool head flat - don't tilt it.

ajslands
04-23-2010, 11:09 PM
It you take he guard off and hit your trimmer on th ground a few times you can get the trimmer line out a couple feet and won't have to get as close to buildings and retaining walls and stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

GlynnC
04-23-2010, 11:16 PM
It you take he guard off and hit your trimmer on th ground a few times you can get the trimmer line out a couple feet and won't have to get as close to buildings and retaining walls and stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I love it!!!!

ajslands
04-23-2010, 11:23 PM
Sarcasim? ^ I don't do it but theirs some guys around here that do. I don't wear saftey glasses either, they don't fit around my ear muffs,
Posted via Mobile Device

AOD
04-23-2010, 11:25 PM
I hate rimming without a guard, it drives me nuts, I dunno how you guys can do it.

I used to have an old Homelite trimmer that had a tiny guard, I hated that thing!

clean_cut
04-23-2010, 11:39 PM
can you guys give me some tips on trimming? and tips on edging with a trimmer? i see some other professional buisnesses go so low along the edges...why do you guys do that? thanks for the help!

Try searching for the topic, I remember a few good threads

I personally hold the trimmer vertically (around a 45 degree angle) and I usually walk backwards on either concrete or grass side. I would say go slow and make sure the line is staying right against the concrete when you edge.

Hope I could Help! God Bless

kemco
04-23-2010, 11:59 PM
Edging with a trimmer: I flip my stick edger up to more around a 15 degree angle (I hope Im not thinking backwards - almost straight up and down). Im right handed, and if I am facing the place that I am going to edge straight-on with my body, I have a reverse grip on the grip of my stick edger so that the engine is up near my head (but away from my body), the web of my hand between my thumb and palm keeps the safety held in "on" position, my pinky finger and ring finger together control the throttle. With my left hand I grip the shaft about 10 inches or so below the loop grip bar towards the business end of the edger. I keep my guard on (for safety as well as preventing damage to the engine). I normally edge more with a backwardish walk, but I'll walk forward sometimes too, what ever is quicker. But I agree that walking backwards with the spin of the line tends to be easier to control.

I just always try to remember which way the head is spinning to avoid launching towards a glass door or window. So sometimes I'll change sides to make that easier. Probably took me all of a week to really get good doing it this way (a number of years ago), but now it is like second nature, I dont really even have to think about what I am doing.

dishboy
04-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Keep the spool head flat - don't tilt it.

I guess you haven't mastered trimming on two planes or trimming on the back stroke of the revolution. Keep practicing, advanced weed eating happens only after years of practice or with the help a good instructor.

topsites
04-24-2010, 01:57 AM
I guess you haven't mastered trimming on two planes or trimming on the back stroke of the revolution. Keep practicing, advanced weed eating happens only after years of practice or with the help a good instructor.

Ahhhh I was starting to feel left out, I knew there had to be other folks who
knew a little of something about how to trim.

Yup, I think of it as left and right side trimming, I guess you might call it front and back...
Then there are all sorts of in-between angles as well.

Say...
Ever use a trimmer as a blower?

Doesn't work for real heavy stuff, but sure clears paved areas when it's only light debris.
I love clearing small areas like that, saves me a trip with the blower.

fiveoboy01
04-24-2010, 04:08 AM
Depending on what's being trimmed, I try to keep the plane created by the spinning line parallel to the surface being trimmed, but not always.

Trimming bed edges, I tilt the disc downwards into the edge. Same with a pole, post, etc.

For bed edges I always move right to left(this is assuming your trimmer spins counterclockwise as viewed from above), this throws the trimmed clippings away from the bed.

Other than that, practice, and be easy on that throttle. Not many situations require full throttle.

Alan0354
04-24-2010, 04:27 AM

Slow??!! I saw a guy edge with a trimmer at walking speed!!! It came out. Of cause it was a well maintained lawn, just touch up on new growth of one week. But still it was fast and trimmed good. He held the trimmer almost vertical to the side and walk. I never get to pratice this because I don't have vertical edging to do.

I think if you want to do a lot with the trimming, best is the Echo type of small guard because you can tip in all different angles where the bigger guard will get in the way. I am not going to suggest taking the guard off. I had to trim my Shindaiwa guard on both sides.

dishboy
04-24-2010, 07:06 AM
Ahhhh I was starting to feel left out, I knew there had to be other folks who
knew a little of something about how to trim.

Yup, I think of it as left and right side trimming, I guess you might call it front and back...
Then there are all sorts of in-between angles as well.

Say...
Ever use a trimmer as a blower?

Doesn't work for real heavy stuff, but sure clears paved areas when it's only light debris.
I love clearing small areas like that, saves me a trip with the blower.

I will use the trimmer to unstick lush tire marks from mulching and then driving across concrete.

Larson Lawn Care
04-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Basics: Right hand on trigger, left hand on handle. Think of the trimmer line spinning as a disc (when you have the guard off, it is usually a 6-8 inch diameter) and only the end of the disc will be what is cutting. You usually want the left side of the "disc" to do most of the work, especially when edging. When you use the trimmer for flat work (trimming areas that you can't get with a mower, more of the "disc" will be cutting, not just the left side. It's all about the angle you have the trimmer tilted, the direction you walk. I find walking forward and the trimmer to my right side when edging the easiest and to my left side for walking around houses and other obstacles. When trimming, do not look at the head, look where the end of the line is spinning and you will do a good job. Good luck hope this isn't too confusing

Matt Hermann
04-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Slow??!! I saw a guy edge with a trimmer at walking speed!!! It came out. Of cause it was a well maintained lawn, just touch up on new growth of one week. But still it was fast and trimmed good. He held the trimmer almost vertical to the side and walk. I never get to pratice this because I don't have vertical edging to do.

I think if you want to do a lot with the trimming, best is the Echo type of small guard because you can tip in all different angles where the bigger guard will get in the way. I am not going to suggest taking the guard off. I had to trim my Shindaiwa guard on both sides.

i didnt mean slow, i ment they trimmed the grass around the perimeter so low, it seems like its going to burn out! like you can clearly see around the perimeter of some houses in my neighborhood where the trimmer got so low to the ground...do you guys do that so you only have to trim every other week?

jvanvliet
04-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Here's a tip, buy an edger... much faster and in the long run neater, cleaner & cheaper. Heck, even a cheapo ECHO will do a reasonably good job.

khutch
04-24-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm the only guy I have ever seen use the Edgit - I am a true believer in it as a better, faster way to edge using a string trimmer. Stick edgers have their place, but if you have an established edge, why do you need two pieces of equipment. If you have not seen or used the Edgit, you really cannot comment on it or understand how well it workd and saves you time. The few posts from Edgit users here are all the same - THE THING WORKS GREAT. We aren't lying or saying we are better than you, it just really works. It seems overpriced in some ways, but I have two and they are both going strong after 5 years, and I'm sure they will last at least a few more. I'm thinking about buying a couple of more just in case that guy who makes them goes bust. I can really say best overall investment I have made in the business.

GlynnC
04-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Edging with a trimmer: I flip my stick edger up to more around a 15 degree angle (I hope Im not thinking backwards - almost straight up and down). Im right handed, and if I am facing the place that I am going to edge straight-on with my body, I have a reverse grip on the grip of my stick edger so that the engine is up near my head (but away from my body), the web of my hand between my thumb and palm keeps the safety held in "on" position, my pinky finger and ring finger together control the throttle. With my left hand I grip the shaft about 10 inches or so below the loop grip bar towards the business end of the edger. I keep my guard on (for safety as well as preventing damage to the engine). I normally edge more with a backwardish walk, but I'll walk forward sometimes too, what ever is quicker. But I agree that walking backwards with the spin of the line tends to be easier to control.

I just always try to remember which way the head is spinning to avoid launching towards a glass door or window. So sometimes I'll change sides to make that easier. Probably took me all of a week to really get good doing it this way (a number of years ago), but now it is like second nature, I dont really even have to think about what I am doing.

This is the way I do it also!

Uponone605
04-24-2010, 07:13 PM
always walk to your left, beds with nice defined edges i trim a little lower then the lawn with a slight slope. picture it as a clock about 12-14in in diameter. tilt the trimmer slightly clockwise so your doing most of your cutting with 2 to 5 oclock and give it a nice fade into the lawn. Now trim your bed left to right then walk back to the begining. Rotate trimmer 180deg counter clockwise. Your throttle should be under your thumb like a thumb throttle on a quad. Now tilt it so your head will make a 90deg edge and egde the bed walking backwards. The faster you go the straighter the edge will be when u get the hang of it.
for other parts of the lawn i like to make it look like it was never trimmed at all and the mower got everything.
Also a stick edger is unbeatable on hard edges like sidewalks, twice as fast 100 percent better looking but dont even bother taking it on the lawn, you need a trimmer to edge the beds. Hope this helps.

fatboynormmie
04-24-2010, 07:19 PM
look it up on youtube .I bought one and there like 80.00 around here but they make the job alot easier. If it broke tomorrow I would go out and buy another one right away .

anotherturfgeek
04-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

A couple of feet? I have a Stihl FS 130 and can only let mine out maybe 10" before it goes crazy with vibrations.(it may be the stihl .105 line though)

When trimming, wear all safety glasses and be very careful around vehicles, pets or other people. I always stop and let the area clear before going back to work. Also, limit use around gravel...

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
04-24-2010, 07:48 PM

walking backwards for both edging with the trimmer and trimming around beds works best for me and it takes time to move quickly...take your time and go slow until you get used to edging with the trimmer because the faster to do it, or the more throttle u give the faster and furture the rocks will fly

Merkava_4
04-24-2010, 10:27 PM

I keep the spool head flat and in contact with the ground at all times.
Pretty much the same way as a rotary mower blade. Works excellent.

freshprince94
04-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Everyone in Florida uses stick edgers, in my opinion they are much faster and easier and I think their edges look better.

As far as actually weedeating, just try not to scalp and keep it even without making divots. Don't overuse the throttle, keep enough line out, and be careful. Weedeaters are very dangerous around cars and people.

Hoy landscaping
05-09-2010, 08:39 PM
i trim walking forward. i cant walk backwards and trim at the same time. let alone walking backwards without falling

Dodge4x4
05-09-2010, 08:52 PM
yea if you take the guard off it works like magic

redmax fan
05-23-2010, 12:29 AM
when your edging with whip vertical keep lips together so if a stone kicks up itll hit lips as opposed to maybe cracking a tooth

some spots , like around trees , its better to not try getting perfect because youll burn lawn if do . so theyre better left scraggly at times as scraggly grass looks fuller / greener than burnt up grass

use square string , i run 80 as i do all residential and the lighter string gives me more finess in tight spaces and detail work

when take cap off see the area between cap and spool where they touch . keep dirt from building up there or itll make feeding out string harder

spary your spool of string with furniture polish as itll help it feed out of spool easier

put spool of string in 5 gallon bucket with hole for string to feed thru in lid , then every time need string pull out a length without fumbling with spool

carry your next batch of string in back pocket so where ever run out you can refill quickly

tilting the head slightly on an angle to the left when moving left makes the string cut better , as opposed to holding head flat

adjust the handle on shaft so it fits your arm length

dont whip a yard in same direction every week as youll lay the grass down in that direction making for a weaker grass blade

after you whip around trees you many times leave mega clipping , blow them away with blower as these clippings will lead to grass death

run ' seafoam ' thru your 2 cycle say once a week to fight carbon build up in carb . but dont quote me on how often you should use seafoam as im not mechanical much

edging i walk on lawn moving to left with left arm down low on shaft for best control

after or before edging walk on sidewalk and whip the grass / dirt off the sidewalk edge for a sharper edge

run it on low throttle as possible around big peices of glass like door walls etc

if a punk lawn mower jockey gets you pissed off use whip to whip a rock and put a nick in the fat s.o.b. :laugh::waving:

bobcatnj
05-23-2010, 07:01 AM
Im selling a redmax trimmer $150.00, Im in NJ. Send me a pm if interested

dgw
05-30-2010, 10:32 AM
to answer the question if you should trim low to only do it every other week

no unless you want your obstacles to be surrounded by crab grass in a few weeks

redmax fan
05-30-2010, 03:42 PM
for sure agree as trimming / mowing lawn too short harms lawn

longer grass holds moisture in soil longer / blocks out more weed growth
than short , plus creates less turf killing thatch

ive whipped 100 lawns a week past 9 years and every day im focused on not letting whip cut grass down too low even though sometimes it would temporarily look better without straggler blades

but when you cut down too low many times to get those last few stragglers you burn turf at its long term cost

better to whip high and leave some stragglers . and from a distance the longer stragglers make lawn look greener / fuller / better most of time anyway

i explain that to customers and they all agree when i leave the trimming on the long / straggly side for a week . and their lawns look better for it

dishboy
05-30-2010, 05:10 PM
for sure agree as trimming / mowing lawn too short harms lawn

longer grass holds moisture in soil longer / blocks out more weed growth
than short , plus creates less turf killing thatch

ive whipped 100 lawns a week past 9 years and every day im focused on not letting whip cut grass down too low even though sometimes it would temporarily look better without straggler blades

but when you cut down too low many times to get those last few stragglers you burn turf at its long term cost

better to whip high and leave some stragglers . and from a distance the longer stragglers make lawn look greener / fuller / better most of time anyway

i explain that to customers and they all agree when i leave the trimming on the long / straggly side for a week . and their lawns look better for it

Ya right! mediocre work to hide lack of skill.

redmax fan
05-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Ya right! mediocre work to hide lack of skill.

**** off joke , you can tell me nothing about whipping

theres a million times when unless you use scissors
your way better off leaving stragglers because its impossible to
get them without burning surrounding grass down to low .
you must not be bright enough to grasp that and burn
the hell out of many of your lawns but think they look
great because no stragglers . theres all kinds of idiots
across america that do that every day and think they know
what theyre doing but the long term affect is a weaker lawn