PDA

View Full Version : Bought my zero turn mower today

passgas55
04-23-2010, 08:49 PM
I was looking at the Gravely HD, the John Deere 445, the Scag Freedom and also a Snapper. I ended up with....... drum roll..............

a Gravely ProTurn 148. I did spend a few more $ but I figure I would do better with a commercial mower. Got it home, started it up, ran asround the yard a few times to get a good feel before I start cutting grass, pulled the red button, made a 50' pass and smelled burnt rubber and smoke coming out by the left spindle!!!!!!!!!:cry:

Stopped the machine, jumped off and saw the belt rubbing against the guard over the spindle. Called up my dealer and he said to bring her in so he could see what the heck was going on.

Got to the dealer and after looking at the it determined the left pully was the wrong size. All the pullys on a 48" cut should be 5.5". This one was 6" which goes on the 52" model. Now what worries me is this came from the factory like that. Makes you wonder about quaility control at the Gravely factory. I spend extra money for a commercial mower thinking I would be getting a better quality mower but now i aqm second guessing myself. The dealer did change out the pully right away. He had to pull it off another 48" cut unit(the 48"HD home owner unit I thought about buying in the first place)

Got home and it was pouring down raining. Might get to use it Sunday and then I could give you a report when I get to cut 2.5 acres.

MS_SURVEYOR
04-24-2010, 12:16 AM
Oh Man! :cry: Can you go figure! :confused: Makes one wonder! :rolleyes:

I bet that was the only problem! Seems your dealer was on top of that one. That's a nice z rider you got there. She'll be mowing with style as soon as the rains move on.

Good Luck! :cool2:

Give us an update once you get saddled up! :drinkup:

ms

georgiagrass
04-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Gravely makes great, quality, hard-working equipment. Don't worry.

passgas55
04-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Got to cut the 2.5 acres yard at my country house and WOW, that sucker sure is fast. I plan on cutting every 2 weeks with the zero turn and and also with my tractor/finishing mower in between the 2 weeks. I am trying to get the grass to take over the weeds by cutting often. Next year if the mony is right I want to smooth out the front yard.

When I got to my primary residence I ran the z turn on the 1/4 acre lot and was done in no time. i then cut 2 houses down the biggest part of their yard. If I was to do this for a living I would go with a 34" or 40" mower. This 48" is way too big for my 100' by 135' lot

So far I am very happy with thisb z turn mower.

lawnstriper23
04-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Congrats on the new ZTR. Where are the pix? :)

All_Toro_4ME
04-28-2010, 09:52 AM
lawnstriper: how old is your lab in your avatar? I have 2 labs, great dogs.

not trying to hijack thread.... back to OP...

Mr. Babalu
04-28-2010, 12:27 PM
I got the same mower about 2 weeks ago. Cut grass about 3 times with it. Its awesome!