PDA

View Full Version : Soaking Weedeater String??

deereequipment
04-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Anyone ever heard of soaking spools in water to prevent them from getting brittle?

GlynnC
04-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Anyone ever heard of soaking spools in water to prevent them from getting brittle?

Yes, I've read in several different places that soaking line 12-24 hours ahead of use will help prevent breaking for older line. Tried it in a large coffee can, hauled it around for awhile, decided it was too much trouble.

CLARK LAWN
04-23-2010, 09:16 PM
i tried it this spring soaked it for about 2 days and it is still just as brittle

Lbilawncare
04-23-2010, 09:17 PM
It's easier to just keep it out of the sun.

lawnboy dan
04-25-2010, 10:24 AM
it works- there is a diff esp with string that severl years old. i keep an old h20 cooler in the bed of the truck for soaking trimmer string

MikeKle
04-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Ive heard this only works with older line, and has no effect on new line. But if you all are like me, I never have old line around. I buy a 3lb spool every spring and its gone by october, so old line isnt an issue for me, but if you have lots of older line lying around, I guess its good to do?

clean_cut
04-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Interesting, I've never heard of this before, kinda neat idea.

grassman177
04-25-2010, 08:01 PM
we have tons of unused spools for future use, have thought of soaking in water, but can you imagine the funk all that water would become over time, we are talking about a 55 gal drum to keep all our spools in so not an option imo

STIHL GUY
04-25-2010, 08:03 PM
i keep a large spool in my garage out of the sun and a few pre cut pieces for if i run out during the day

lawnboy dan
04-26-2010, 07:55 AM
true=only works on old line.

Richard Martin
04-26-2010, 08:18 AM
It seems that the water trick only works on nylons that were improperly manufactured to begin with. I suspect that you would find this to be an issue with trimmer lines that are manufactured in a certain country that has a history of quality control problems. Let's just call it Red.

http://www.apmtesting.com/faq.php#How_does_moisture_change_the_properties_of_polyamide__Nylon

Pay particular attention to the last paragraph.

BUY AMERICAN!

FastMan
04-26-2010, 09:26 AM
After almost 30 years of landscaping I learned of this last year hear on lawnsite. I guess I'd never really noticed a problem, so never searched for for a resolution. My line doesn't hang around long enough to get brittle. It ends up in little pieces, scattered all over my customers lawns while still a babe.

mbrew
04-26-2010, 09:49 AM
It seems that the water trick only works on nylons that were improperly manufactured to begin with. I suspect that you would find this to be an issue with trimmer lines that are manufactured in a certain country that has a history of quality control problems. Let's just call it Red.

http://www.apmtesting.com/faq.php#How_does_moisture_change_the_properties_of_polyamide__Nylon

Pay particular attention to the last paragraph.

BUY AMERICAN!

Nice Link.

Mike