PDA

View Full Version : Short GREEN Coastal Grass

Fernando
04-23-2010, 11:17 PM
I had written on how I can cheat on St. Augustine, I would prefer to water alot more, but clients wont pay but still want there grass green. So now my next question is what kind of seeds can I buy to seed into St. Aug. that will stay green all year long and does not grow to high, but stays green and survives on the coast???? Responces are appreciated....

LLahwen
04-23-2010, 11:38 PM
i'm in florida, and 'real lawns' here have st. augustine as well. now, i've seen a lot of lawn guys sow rye grass into a variety called bahaia grass here, and thats only during winter times. the bahaia dies and that silly rye grass stays green but you need a HELL of a lot of seed for it to count for anything. i've never seen anyone sow into st augustine tho...

Fernando
04-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Hey Thx LLahwen for ur input. Isnt rye grass just for winter? Im looking for a short in size grass that will live in coastal area and stays green....

LLahwen
05-26-2010, 10:44 PM
yeah they sow the rye into the ground in the winter time. the reason is that the rye will green up and fill in while the bahaia goes dormant and turns brown. some of the bahaia dies, and some stays alive, but during the winter months the rye will stay green. the thing is, they have to use A LOT of rye grass seed for it to be worth it.