PDA

View Full Version : Expanded Metal Sides

AkRowdyA78
04-24-2010, 11:55 AM
I have a 5x10 trailer with 1 foot sides looking to add expanded metal/mesh sides to it. I was wondering what thinkness I should get. I called someone today and they told me that a 4x8 sheet was $110! :hammerhead: and then I called somewhere else and they told me it would be around $45 precut but it was a thinner type of expanded metal. I think he called it half 16. I will mainly be hauling brush, mulch, and my mower.
Thanks Andy

MikeKle
04-24-2010, 12:43 PM
You wont need very thick expanded steel for the sides, since it wont be supporting any weight, Expanded steel that is on a typical trailer gate is (3/4"- number 9-raised), the first number, 3/4" refers to the size of the opening in the slits, in this case they are 3/4" wide. The second number refers to the thickness, #9 is about 1/8" thick, the lower the number, the thicker the steel, for a trailers sides, you could get away with a #12 or even higher. they also have raised and flat, which the raised has grip to it as to prevent slipping on it, thats why they put it on gates, but for trailer sides, you could go with flat. Hope this helps. Around here, the 3/4 #9, is about $50. for a 4x8 sheet.

JRSlawn
03-27-2011, 01:14 AM
I know this thread is kinda old but where did you buy your mesh from in akron ohio? I am looking for some for a trailer gate.

AkRowdyA78
03-27-2011, 11:28 AM
I know this thread is kinda old but where did you buy your mesh from in akron ohio? I am looking for some for a trailer gate.

I thinking the place I called was Falls metal on Home ave. They wanted $125 for a 4x8 sheet. But Friess welding also has the samething for about the same price.