PDA

View Full Version : Lesco 52" walk behing - problem with the drive belt

daniel1132
04-24-2010, 12:37 PM
I just bought a used Lesco 52" hydro with a fixed deck. the belt was a little bit raggedy so I installed a new one. I then dropped the deck to the lower setting, and less than 10 hours later the new belt was all chewed up.

I know I should have paid more attention to how the belt was doing. I did adjust the tension after the first couple of hours, but I'm wondering what to do now.

it seems like the problem is that the top edge of the belt rubs against the lip on the tension pulley when the deck is in the lower setting. I'm not sure if there's a way to raise that pulley (maybe with spacers?) or what.

I have searched around on the site and found a few other people complaining about their lesco mowers chewing up belts. I did look at the suggestions that envy posted a few years ago about them, but it didn't seem to apply to this situation.

any help would be appreciated.

lawnboy dan
04-25-2010, 11:19 AM
why buy from a company thats out of biz and parts support was never good to start with

brodo374
04-25-2010, 12:00 PM
52" walk behind on a fixed deck. You will not be happy with that. Sell it and get a floating deck.

metro36
04-25-2010, 12:49 PM
I just bought a used Lesco 52" hydro with a fixed deck. the belt was a little bit raggedy so I installed a new one. I then dropped the deck to the lower setting, and less than 10 hours later the new belt was all chewed up.

I know I should have paid more attention to how the belt was doing. I did adjust the tension after the first couple of hours, but I'm wondering what to do now.

it seems like the problem is that the top edge of the belt rubs against the lip on the tension pulley when the deck is in the lower setting. I'm not sure if there's a way to raise that pulley (maybe with spacers?) or what.

I have searched around on the site and found a few other people complaining about their lesco mowers chewing up belts. I did look at the suggestions that envy posted a few years ago about them, but it didn't seem to apply to this situation.

any help would be appreciated.
Well I have a 36" lesco hydro and I have not had this problem but I did replace the idler (tensioner) pulley on the hydros a few months after I got it. The bearings on the original plastic pulley started to go so I bought a metal pulley that had better bearings. I also noticed decreased belt wear once I changed the pulley.

why buy from a company thats out of biz and parts support was never good to start with
You can still buy parts for the mowers as cub cadet commercial still manufactures the same walkbehinds. Lesco never made there own mowers they were always made by mtd who owns cubcadet commercial. Parts are easily available through any cub cadet commercial dealer and many parts on the machines are common ones that any dealer will stock.