PDA

View Full Version : Flowers?

wattsup
07-01-2002, 10:44 PM
What type of flowers are good for Summer that will get little water and full sun? I have a new customer that wants seasonal color in their beds, and I do not know what will work best. Thank you!

Lanelle
07-01-2002, 11:50 PM
At this point in the season, Vinca would be a good choice and probably still available. There are colors ranging from red to white to violet with lots of pastel hues in between. Since it is already summer time, choose at least 4" or larger pot sizes. These will have a well-established root system and enough flowers to show up nicely.

AGLA
07-02-2002, 06:17 AM
daylilies

AL Inc
07-02-2002, 08:08 PM
I've had good luck with argeratum (blue/purple) and marigolds (yellows/oranges). Nice combination and they don't need much water or care.

AltaLawnCare
07-03-2002, 08:47 AM
I'm no expert, but...

By the advice of friends, nursery people..I planted Petunias (wave, very colorful ground crawlers which will get 12-18" tall), Marigolds, Vincas, and varigated Liriope. It may be too late to plant Petunias.

lawnstudent
07-03-2002, 02:52 PM
What are the site characteristics? Full sun? Partial shade? Full shade? Soil characteristics:dry, moist, wet, well drained, sandy, stoney, clay, loam, high organic content, etc? Is the home owner looking to change every year - annuals? Or install once and enjoy for a lifetime - perennnials? Formal or casual look? What are your native flowers? Native flowers tend to tolerate the heat and dry conditions of your area better than the imports. What zone are you in?

jim

SouthernGardening
07-03-2002, 05:58 PM
For summer color in full sun, I like Lantana 'Miss Huff'. All the Lantanas like our Zone 7b temps in summer and appear to be drought tolerant. They can be planted out when tomatos are planted and bloom brightly until killed by hard frost. 'Miss Huff' is a semi-hardy variety that sometimes lives thru our winters (if NOT cut back) and has the additional benefit of not setting seed. Since the seeds of Lantana are poisonous, I hesitate to use it where young children might be around.