PDA

View Full Version : I just got fired by my dad

bln
04-24-2010, 01:21 PM
I have been mowing his commercial property for 7 years and never raised my rates once. The price I was charging was $55 per cut and it would of been $75 for anyone else. He just hired a company for $26. They just did their first cut and it looks horrible. Not striped, burned where they whipped, and He up charged A $30 a month weed maintenance program that I was doing for $100. I know the economey is bad but to get fired by my dad, it sucks.:cry:

MikeKle
04-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Geez, that is pretty bad to get canned by your old man! Did you all have a falling out or some kind of argument before this? I cant help but think something brought this on, other than only cost.

bln
04-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Nothing like that at all, as a matter of fact we are driving an hour togther to get some wings, yes they are that good. I give him heck about it because the company drives around with a sign on their truck that states " Mobil home lots $10."

MS_SURVEYOR
04-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Good Grief! :dizzy:

He'll be back once the heat starts killing his grass this summer! :laugh:

What can you say? :waving:

Charles
04-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Congrats! First thread on Lawnsite saying "my dad fired me":drinkup::clapping::laugh:

bln
04-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Hey thanks a lot charles, I appreciate the recognition of what this fine economy has come to.

zturncutter
04-24-2010, 02:32 PM
I would say he should buy the wings!!! :drinkup::drinkup:

Charles
04-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Wasn't laughing at your loss. Just the fact something never before posted has come up.
When your dad gets very old and needs you for something. You remind him of the day he fired you. Maybe when his auto breaks down on the road and he calls. You will get to do it sooner:usflag:

whosedog
04-24-2010, 02:49 PM
As long as you're still named as beneficiary of his estate the money he's saving will come back to you,so don't let it bother you.

ponyboy
04-24-2010, 03:57 PM
why would you charge your dad? Did he charge you for all the meals growing up and rent? Family should be free

Glenn Lawn Care
04-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Congrats! First thread on Lawnsite saying "my dad fired me":drinkup::clapping::laugh:

LOLing!:laugh::laugh:

davidcalhoun
04-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Warning: sarcastic bad joke to follow.

So when you dad is older and craps his pants and ask you to help change him, tell him it all "depends".

WHIPPLE5.7
04-24-2010, 04:28 PM
why would you charge your dad? Did he charge you for all the meals growing up and rent? Family should be free

Thats ******ed. First of all parents have obligation by law to feed, cloth, and house their kids. Second should we all expect free things from what other family members do where they work? Many of my family owns their own biz and I always pay just as I would expect to get payed for services rendored. Don't mix family/friends with business.

Mahoney3223
04-24-2010, 04:30 PM
time to whoop your old man's arse!

ponyboy
04-24-2010, 04:43 PM
I guess I'm ******ad I gave my patents over $10k in landscaping for free they gave me my life I owe at leat that to them
Posted via Mobile Device

deereman
04-24-2010, 04:53 PM
So you got me wondering...................Who bought the wings?????;)

ringahding
04-24-2010, 05:07 PM
At least you still talk that's good...he'll hire you back the minute the prop. mgrs. start complaining...Time to pass out flyers' LOL

sfddelta1
04-24-2010, 05:29 PM
i dont care who you are thats freaking cold

CanesFan
04-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Man, that's awful! I took over my parent's yard last year. The people before were charging $80 a visit, I do it for $50. It's the easiest $50 ever! They were getting ripped before. I offered to do it for free, but they insisted on paying.

rcslawncare
04-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Yea, it will come back to you when the old guys screw it up! You should snap a couple of pics of there work on this property.

bln
04-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Guys, I don't charge to mow their house ($35), trim the shrubs ($300), Spring and fall cleanup ($500), install the water fall ($10,000), The 25 tons of stone (#3,375), or any of the other things I do around the yard. I don't live there any more either. The property was a commercial property that the tennants and him shared in paying the maintenance for. Personal is for free commercial is business. Gotta keep the 2 seperate.

Charles
04-24-2010, 08:24 PM
I could see if I had a business I got rich off of then you could work for family members for free. But come on, when it comes to lawn care there is no way I would work for free. My family never expected me to. This was never a issue or talked about. They wanted to pay and help me survive. Now if they were poor then that would be another story.

grassman177
04-24-2010, 08:52 PM
this is a pretty sad moment in your relationship imo. i work for my dad, but he is also the originator of this lawn business so....... if he fired me i dont know what!!!!! at least i have credentials and could continue in this field.

orlawncaresvc
04-24-2010, 09:02 PM
We do two customers for fee. One is my father in laws home which I do myself. And the other is our brothers home which is in a nice gated community. Reason we do him for free is we are trying to get some customers in his neighborhood and we are using his lawn as an advertisment.

EvenCutLawnCare
04-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Don't take it too personal. If he is one of a number of tenents in a complex, your dad was probably under pressure to cut costs where they could. If your dad was the only tenent in this building, or owned his own building, I would venture to say that you would still be cutting his lawn. When the heat of the summer gets here, you will be back to cutting it.

Take Care.

MajesticUSA
04-24-2010, 10:10 PM
In this business you get what you pay for... he will be beggin' you to come back in a few weeks after they ruin the property. Also dont forget to give him coal for fathers day this year :rolleyes:

Darryl G
04-24-2010, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't think of charging my parents to do anything for them!!!!!!

N.TX
04-25-2010, 02:39 AM
He should fire you because you should be doing his lawn for free or next to nothing to cover your costs

topsites
04-25-2010, 02:43 AM
I have been mowing his commercial property for 7 years and never raised my rates once. The price I was charging was $55 per cut and it would of been $75 for anyone else. He just hired a company for $26. They just did their first cut and it looks horrible. Not striped, burned where they whipped, and He up charged A $30 a month weed maintenance program that I was doing for $100. I know the economey is bad but to get fired by my dad, it sucks.:cry:

I always say, there is a reason for cheap.

Hopefully once the heat sets in those guys will realize how badly they underbid, and maybe they won't show up no more.

So what I would do real soon like is make mention that if things don't turn out with those guys,
you would gladly take back over anytime... And say it in a nice way.

Peace out
Oh, and good luck!

Sammy
04-25-2010, 08:53 AM
"Hey son, you are fired....Now, let's go get some wings".

1993lx172
04-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Good wings make most bad situations better.

rob7233
04-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Hand your Dad a piece of paper with this written on it:

" The bitterness of Poor Quality lingers on long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten"

Well, it's not mine but I borrowed it from another LS member and if I could recall who, I'd give them the credit. BTW: don't work for family, friends or neighbors since it's also been said, " No good deed goes unpunished". Good luck!

JB1
04-25-2010, 03:13 PM

i'm sorry but thats funny.

mowisme
04-25-2010, 05:58 PM
I would mow his own personal home free..but the rental property is income..That its a different situation. I wouldn't expect my kid to mow my 'clients' property free ( while I pocket money off it)..and thats my income-so he shouldn't mow dads rental property free. But if pop's wanted his personal home mowed free..not a problem. Just away of showing your Love and appreciation. Personally..I wouldn't let my Kid mow mine unless I was Ill or something..just wouldn't feel right as long as I was able to do it. Thats just the way I feel anyway.

bob
04-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Sounds like an episode of Orange County Choppers.

cozymonkey
04-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Maybe you should steal some of their business and offer mobile home lots for $9. :confused:

Punton3rdDown
04-25-2010, 08:29 PM
That sucks...were the wings good?

FastMan
04-25-2010, 11:31 PM
It's called tough love.

ajslands
04-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Family is free, but they do pay for materials, just not labor, ithink that is a fair choice, i am 17 and will be renovating my parents back yard this summer, and I make their front yard look the best on the block, usually by double cutting it and cutting twice a week.
Posted via Mobile Device

AI Inc
04-26-2010, 08:12 AM
I guess I'm ******ad I gave my patents over $10k in landscaping for free they gave me my life I owe at leat that to them
Posted via Mobile Device

No, your not ******ed. There is nothing wrong with taking care of the people who took care of you for 18 yrs. You should be proud!!