PDA

View Full Version : Painted concrete patio conversion to stone

GreenLight
04-24-2010, 01:23 PM
veneer.

The job is fairly simple, existing 400 square foot concrete poured patio about 5 years old. Has one marginal crack towards left edge but overall looks to be done well , good grade slope pitched away from house and my understanding is the slab has grid in it. Customer would like to have flagstone laid on top of the existing slab which is generally an easy job and music to my ears. The problem is the slab has been painted with 2 coats of some type of paint/sealant and I certainly don't want to lay on top of that.

My question is what do you guys recommend? I really don't want to come through and score the slab, but I was wondering would a coarse sander work if any of you have experience with something like this? Some type of walk behind belt sander that wouldn't leave the the slab smooth as a babies butt, but rather coarse and would strip the majority of the paint. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and feel free to tell me my sanding idea is stupid, it's just my initial thought.

shovelracer
04-24-2010, 03:47 PM
I good pressure washer will strip bad paint. If it is more of an epoxy coating than you probably need to sandblast it. Pretty miserable work, best to hire it out.

Bru75
04-25-2010, 01:00 AM
For paint, I've had good results with a pressure washer, but you might need a surface grinder for stubborn spots.
If it is some type of sealant that the concrete absorbs I would grind the whole thing.
Just be glad nobody put outdoor carpet on it, the adhesive for that crap is the worst.

GreenLight
04-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the insight Shovel and Bru,

Definitely going to try the heavy duty pressure washer first, my fingers are crossed that it will do the job. If not, I think the sand blasting would be out of my realm, but the surface grinder will probably be my next step. Im really rooting for the pressure washer!