PDA

View Full Version : Deal or no Deal??

Lawn RX 10
04-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Hey guys...looking to buy my first walk behind and am a little nervouse on prices and getting ripped off. Does this seem like a fair price? and what should i look and ask about when buying the mower. I plan on giving the machanic at the golf course 50 bones to go with me and make sure im not getting ripped off

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/grd/1687463830.html

THANKS GUYS!

mowerbrad
04-24-2010, 05:44 PM
It appears to be a pretty good mower. Scag makes a great product and you shouldn't have any problems with it. Having the mechanic come with you actually is a pretty good idea if you trust him.

When you go there, get the serial number off the mower and confirm with a scag dealer the age of the mower (it does appear to be only a year old though from the pictures). Also, start up the mower and run it. Make sure the engine runs smooth, make sure the blades engage properly and make sure the hydros are responsive. Check over the condition of everything (belts, blades, general upkeep of the mower). Make sure to check the oil level and air filter. Just check it over good.

Lawn RX 10
04-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Wow thanks man great tips! I was expecting ten negative comments about how dumb i was befor i got a good one like this!

brodo374
04-24-2010, 06:33 PM
I could not tell if that was indeed hydro. If so than it is a great deal. If not than just ok

TREEGUARD
04-24-2010, 07:24 PM
don't forget to check the spindels on it as well.

Lawn RX 10
04-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Hmm ok ok great info...had to go google spiindels! Ha Im guessing thats a commen fix?

clean_cut
04-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Looks like a fair price to me, maybe offer a little less, maybe $2,000 or $2,100 and see if he'll take it, if not offer a little more. Make sure to check everything, I bought a mower and had to spend another $75 - $1000 on a discharge chute. Mine also has mismatched blades, so make sure to check everything thoroughly. It'd would be great if you also have a mechanic that you trust and could take with you, I'm sure he will make sure you get a good deal (and he'll probably be able to find things to take the price down for too :))