PDA

View Full Version : Stuck In Mud

thomask
04-24-2010, 06:02 PM
I was out mowing today on my Everride Stander and got too close to a swampy muddy area and got sucked in! I made quite a mess getting out as my tire was sinking down and spinning the tires didn't help much. Has this happened to anyone else and what became of it? The owner wasn't home, so I dropped him a quick email and explained the situation and took $ off the mowing charge. Should I be looking for another yard to replace this one in your experiences? Thanks!!:dizzy:

KPW LawnCare
04-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Got stuck 2 this year once 2 weeks ago ( was too close to a creek) and once toady, both time the home owners pulled me out the didnt care at all.

rcslawncare
04-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Shouldn't be a big deal. But it happens!

sfddelta1
04-24-2010, 07:22 PM
should not be a big deal

we got stuck mowing a commercial property 2 miles from our shop last week. I had to go the honda rubicon out and ride it over and pull the mower out lol.

I guees it was good to run the 4 wheeler since it has not moved since duck season

E

robertsturf
04-24-2010, 07:26 PM
I have gotten stuck 3 times this year, before that about 7 yrs ago. Too much rain.

topsites
04-24-2010, 08:13 PM
You're probably all right since you did tell the home owner what happened,
granted it all depends now what they think but as a general rule it's when
someone doesn't say a word about it, that's when they get pissed.

So I think you're fine, it happens, I've already got stuck at least once this year.

Hoy landscaping
04-24-2010, 08:57 PM
nothing ya can do. if they get mad say sorry and youll fix it free. i made a mess at a customers house, stuck 2 times at 1 house. i told them the cut was free becasue i only made a pass or 2, an that i would fix it free.

rjh4758
04-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

rjh4758
04-24-2010, 11:04 PM
Thursday was my day from hell with getting stuck. I got stuck in a customers back yard with my ztr. No biggy right? Ground was solid to with in 15' of the mower so I will just back my truck over and use my 30' tow strap and pull it out right? Sunk the &$@& 4X4 truck to the axles. Had to have wrecker pull me out. $100 later I had to do what I should have in the first place leave the mower and run home and get a come along and chain to winch it out. Not to mention that it was now a free cut and I will spend a half a day this week fixing it. Lady was very cool about it and said it was no problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

shade tree landscaping
04-24-2010, 11:07 PM
been stuck a few times myself, always make the homeowner/property owner aware andthen stop by within a few days, through some fill in rut(s), some seed on top. This keeps everyone happy, simple solution with supplies you already have.

Hoy landscaping
04-24-2010, 11:10 PM
after i get unstuck and finish my work for the day i go right home, get some dirt and seed to fill in those ruts. its very important

USFGUY
04-25-2010, 12:28 AM
The condo complex I do I get stuck at LEAST once every time I am there. With "preserve" areas (SWAMP) and several ponds that they expect mowed to the very edge (trimming makes too much noise and takes too long for them).

I carry 60+ feet of tow strap so my truck can pull out my ZTR when I get stuck. Ohhh and I cant forget the 2-3 acres that if it rains more than 1/2 an inch in a day has 2-3 standing inches of water over it for 3-5 days.. but that grass still needs to be cut....

the Ruts do need to be filled/seeded though... it can get annoying though when you try to say "listen this area needs to be filled in and french drains would help too" and be told nahhh rather spend the money on white sand for around a drainage pond....

Shane100
04-25-2010, 01:36 AM
I've been stuck in the mud twice this week!:hammerhead:
I was on a 2+ acre account (last one till Monday) about 5 miles from anything and got a flat. Loaded up, went to 7-eleven, plugged the hole, and headed back. I wasn't back for 5mins when I got stuck. I was berried up to the frame. Luckily, I was able to drive my truck out into the yard without doing any damage to the lawn and pull myself out. What should of taken 1.5 - 2 hours took almost 4.

ajslands
04-25-2010, 01:38 AM
I git stuck in a ditch the second the day after I got my firt ztr (only a few weeks ago) pulled it out with my truck. But almost got stuck last week going through water (about 4") I came back this week and saw huge ruts 1-2' deep where a 4x4 truck had been stuck, he had mowed what I didn't cuz there was a mini pond, so I got a little laugh out of it, wish I was their to see it!
Posted via Mobile Device

MikeKle
04-25-2010, 10:14 AM
I have got my exmark tthp and tt stuck more than a few times, and it sucks due to the wheel brakes, when they are stuck in mud, it pushes that metal brake bar into the wheel, thus engaging the brake, and they wont move if that is on, so they must be pulled out manually. I helped out a guy who had a Kubota F2400 4x4 stuck in mud, the 4wd was not helping at all and he was also running dual tires up front, and it still got stuck! To get it out, we had like 5 guys putting their weight on the drive tires, it worked , but it was a tight fit for 5 guys on the front of that thing!

topsites
04-25-2010, 10:21 AM
If your Z ain't dirty it means you're not working.

I've been stuck in the mud twice this week!:hammerhead:

Yeah now that's what I'm talking about!
Looking good, looking mighty fine there.

Other than that Rops, but I ain't getting into it.

KPW LawnCare
04-25-2010, 10:35 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2175/4511573491_0f3251a8af_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4061/4512214030_f7e39b6766_b.jpg

Hoy landscaping
04-25-2010, 01:36 PM
on monday i pulled a guy that had truck, trailer and ztr stuck behind my house. my truck was loaded down with 1/2 ton of dirt so i couldnt pull him out. i called my buddy and we got a 25 foot tow strap and pulled him out.

thomask
04-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Wow, now I don't feel nearly as bad! Thanks guys for the encouragement. I don't like making a mess of someone else's lawn, but it's good to hear most are understanding about it. I've never had this situation before, so it's good to know others have already been through this this spring already. Guess I'll just have to be more careful and avoid the muddy areas!

Hell on Blades
04-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Didn't get stuck, but slipped on a hill and had to catch my wb from sliding backward down on top of me. Nevermind the cost - it was a freebie for my sister.

Oh don't forget, this was yesterday in Cincinnati!!! The rain started pouring the minute the mulch arrived on the job.