PDA

View Full Version : TIred of the rain, again!!!!!!

grassman177
04-24-2010, 09:03 PM
i have not mowed since Thursday and went out this morning despite how wet it is and we mowed in the rain till aobut 2. it finally was raining so hard and the grass was so thick all it did was clog my mower decks. i had to quit and leave those jobs a mess. i hated it, but i called those customers and told them we would be back to finish and they were ok. well, it is still raining and this storm is one of those that swirls around and keeps hitting you again and again.

so now on sunday i will be cutting lawns meant for thursday, oh and it will spill over onto monday i am sure due to the time it will take to make them look decent and how many i still have to do.

already reminding me of last year, anyone else in this boat ????????????:cry:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-24-2010, 09:55 PM
I have learned not to complain about rain. At least there is grass to cut at some point.

No rain.....then you aren't cutting even when the sun shines. That's bad news man.

mowerbrad
04-24-2010, 10:01 PM
We were supposed to get rain today....nothing. We are supposed to get rain tomorrow and Monday, but I'm not holding my breath. We could really use it, but its so dry here that as the rain comes into the area it breaks apart and we don't get any rain.

Just be happy to have rain.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-24-2010, 10:09 PM
We were supposed to get rain today....nothing. We are supposed to get rain tomorrow and Monday, but I'm not holding my breath. We could really use it, but its so dry here that as the rain comes into the area it breaks apart and we don't get any rain.

Just be happy to have rain.

Its frustrating to get into a dry trend, isn't it? You just can't buy a drop of liquid heaven when you are in that poor trend.

clean_cut
04-24-2010, 10:13 PM
I have learned not to complain about rain. At least there is grass to cut at some point.

No rain.....then you aren't cutting even when the sun shines. That's bad news man.

Very true....

What happens for the big companies when they have to change a lawns mowing date due to rain....

For example, you usually mow the lawn on Monday, but it rains and you can't mow until Thursday, do you mow Monday of the next week (only 2 days later) or do you mow the lawn on Thursday from then on?

yardguy28
04-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Very true....

What happens for the big companies when they have to change a lawns mowing date due to rain....

For example, you usually mow the lawn on Monday, but it rains and you can't mow until Thursday, do you mow Monday of the next week (only 2 days later) or do you mow the lawn on Thursday from then on?

i'm solo but i find a way to get back on schedule. as of yet i haven't had that much rain where my monday wouldn't get cut until thursday but if it were to happen i'd either go ahead 2 days later or more likely skip it until the following week.

MikeKle
04-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Same here, didnt mow yesterday or today, so backed up, i cant even begin to estimate how many I have to do when it finally drys out! Hopefully it will stop tonight, but not looking good, it is thundering and lightning and raining like crazy as I type this. It started earlier just as I was finishing up the trucks oil change, and been coming down ever since. Oh well, nothing anyone can do about it.

grassman177
04-25-2010, 08:37 AM
nope, still raining right now. according to radar it will be donw in about an hour, but it rained since noon yesterday so i am unsure if i want to actually try to go out right after it stops or not. i usually dont complain about rain, and we were in a dry spell for about 2 weeks, but it is pretty darn over wet right now!

now it is sunday and i am mowing thursdays lawns, still...... and i wont get it down today either, but to answer the question of scheduling, sometimes it straight does get moved to a different day for a while and eventually due to rain again it gets worked back to the intended day, but if i can(depending on how the rest of the week goes) get it back on thursday or even friday the following week i will, and it wont be shy of needing cut either! it more than makes up for the fact that i had to spend way too much time making it look good the week b4 and the monthly average is still the same and no one has ever complained about it when we do this due to rains.

McEwans Lawn Service
04-25-2010, 09:10 AM
I know what your saying. My son is going to help me today. Fort Scott is in the clear so maybe in hour or two I hope it will be done. I have radar on my phone and I checked it so much in the last 2 days they might charge me for another month ha ha. There has been enough here I think that it is going to track in the yards I sure hate that but have to get back on schedule.

buttaluv
04-25-2010, 10:38 AM
grassman, I know what you mean, I'm up in St. joe, I got to mow yesterday until about 4:30, got rained on a couple times, after 3 I just started mowing some of my crappier yards...ground was like a sponge, everything looked horrible..but what do you do!

just remember, a bad mowing job is like a hair cut, this time of year in 3 days you won't be able to tell....now you just have to convice the customer of that too!

Good Luck

topsites
04-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Yup, just be glad you have rain, around my necks it's been a bit sparse
for the past 4 years so now even if it's all wrong it's good!

Be prepared to work a little over time when it stops, then it's all right.

ashgrove landscaping
04-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Must be a rookie. Rain is normal. Cut in the rain. That s what you gotta do in the spring if you want that money.

Bob_n_weave
04-26-2010, 01:43 AM
Lots of rain here in St. Louis, 4 days and more coming :(

Petr51488
04-26-2010, 01:44 AM
We don't work in the rain. If it rains 4-5 days out of the week i just skip that week and just start fresh the next week. It rarely happens, but i have done it in the past. Whats the big deal? you're only going to be pushing yourself further and further behind schedual by trying to do 5 days worh of mowing in 2. My customers wont kill me if i miss one week due to a week of rain.

grassman177
04-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Must be a rookie. Rain is normal. Cut in the rain. That s what you gotta do in the spring if you want that money.

29 yrs in business, nice try my man.

grassman177
04-26-2010, 08:47 AM
mine will be pissed, although most are understanding of it. going out to do fridays mowing today to start fresh tomorrow as i dont scedule mowing on mondays anyway. these are the growingest lawns ever too i am about to go cut. they need it every 4 days and we are on day number 8. i think this will be awesome! at least there is higher dew point and lots of wind to help out today. yesterday there was a light mist off and on all day, but all but a few turned out acceptable.

MOW ED
04-26-2010, 10:18 AM
I can only pray for rain on the weekends and sun all week, season long. It seldom happens that way and it is one of the most frustrating catch 22's of the lawn service.
The other thing that ticks me off is wind when I want to spray.

You just have to bite the bullet and do what you can. The customers that complain can be educated once then dropped if they just don't understand. I understand where you are coming from but there isn't one thing you can do to change nature. We work around its schedule.

August brown outs are worse, as was said you don't make a dime in a drought. At least you have work backed up and money to be made. Take care.

MikeKle
04-26-2010, 10:25 AM
I woke up to another rainy day here today! I actually went out and did a few yesterday before it started, but I havent put in a full day since last thursday. My customers understand this, but when it dries out, they all want it done at the same time.

MikeKle
04-26-2010, 10:34 AM
I forgot to add that it is pretty chilly here today too along with the rain, it got down to low 50s last night, so even though I cant get out to mow, it shoudlnt grow too much since there hasnt been any sunlight combined with the chilly temps. I hope anyway?

TheC-Master
04-26-2010, 10:56 AM
GA was in a drought, now it's raining a ton. I had to do a big job this weekend in the middle of the storm. Not something I'd prefer to do, but I did it.

yardguy28
04-26-2010, 09:03 PM
We don't work in the rain. If it rains 4-5 days out of the week i just skip that week and just start fresh the next week. It rarely happens, but i have done it in the past. Whats the big deal? you're only going to be pushing yourself further and further behind schedual by trying to do 5 days worh of mowing in 2. My customers wont kill me if i miss one week due to a week of rain.

thats how i do it. just skip a cut. clients won't be pissed. it saves them money either way even if you do charge a little more the next time around for the added growth. unless your charging them double.

my bi-weekly prices are usually $10 more than my weekly prices. and i had to skip a week because of rain i'd probably need to charge everyone for a bi-weekly price. but again it still saves them money.

Larson Lawn Care
04-26-2010, 09:55 PM
It rained all weekend here in St. Louis, it was wet this morning so I didn't make it out to mow and I regret it. I trimmed all of my Monday lawns and a few of my Tuesdays today so tomorrow I'll just be mowing most of them. I also hauled off some branches for a customer and I had my bearings greased on my trailer so I feel like I accomplished something. I saw a lot of people out mowing because the sun came out and the ground wasn't too bad, I might have made a bad decision to not mow for the day, but oh well tomorrow will just be a long one.

MikeKle
04-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Well, if it was sunny in St louis today, that means we should be in the clear tomorrow, hopefully, it was really dark and misty all day, felt like a late fall day! I am so backed up, Im not even going to look at the schedule until I see some sunshine!

grassman177
04-26-2010, 10:23 PM
it was quite cold here today IN THE UPPER 40S AND LOW 50S. oops, caps was on, anyways it was ok though for mowing despite the temps and 15+mph winds as the dew point was lower than temps so with the wind the grass was actually pretty dry and never had to scrape the decks though double cutting was completely needed. ground is very wet though as expected and was hard to not smash downt the grass in some areas while turning when using diesel mowers. makes me wish sometimes they were not so heavy, wel always wish that, but had a lighter mower for wet days. but the diesels really power thru some tall thick grass without flinching. gotta love that. rained for a bit and is still light sprinkles after we were done for the day, but makes me think the morning will be wet grass, at least they will be on schedule, but they are still going to be really thick after the days of rain we have had. i feel like just talking out my mind here on LS kinda like a newbie, but just thinking outloud. i think over my work sechdule and plans a few days ahead every day if that makes sense. oh yeah, rain is what we are talking about!! haha