PDA

View Full Version : 2 or 4WD

Mr Distinctive
07-02-2002, 04:20 AM
I am new to the lawn care business and need to buy a new truck AND a family car. I was wondering about combining the two and going for the Chevy Avalanche.

Two questions:-

1. Do I really need 4WD for a residential based Lawn Biz? and
2. What does anybody think of the Chevy Avalanche?

with thanks

ADLAWNCUTTERS
07-02-2002, 05:43 AM
im no expert it depends on what you are going to do. if you just do cutting then you could just do fine by using a larger trailer that will hold all your mowers and tools etc.if you do a little landscaping once in a while just use your open trailer.here in buffalo 4/4 is a must. if their is not that much difference in price get the 4/4. but in florida i don't think you will need it.

Mowingman
07-02-2002, 08:07 AM
Generally a 4x4 is more expensive to buy and more expensive to operate and maintain. I can not see why you need one for residential work if you are not plowing. You could better spend the money on a two wheel drive with heavy suspension and a diesel engine. I always get a laugh here when I see these new LCO's driving around in big fancy 4x4 pickups. They never get near a mud road and we have not had a good snow storm in about 8 years.:D :confused:

rkbrown
07-02-2002, 09:55 AM
I have a 2001 Ford F-250 Crew Cab Diesel for the business and also as a family vehicle. We tow a 21' Aljo travel trailer and at times I tow a 16' boat to the lake. Rather than the 4x4, I have limited slip differential. For my applications it works fine. Even on slippery boat ramps, the limited slip works just fine. If I was in snow country, however, a 4x4 would be a must for me.

I am not brand loyal to anyone. I have had Ford and Chevy (gassers) in the past and actually preferred the Chevy over the Ford out of the ones that I have owned. I drove all 3 full sized diesel pickups. The wife said "You may buy a new truck, but it must be a crew cab". I loved the Dodge with the Cummins, but no true Crew Cab, so it was out. I drove the Duramax, but 2001 was the first production year, and I didn't want to be a beta tester. Also, my wife is only 5' and in the Chevy se sits lower than in the Ford (yes, she does drive it from time to time), so she preferred the Ford. Thats what we wound up with and I love the truck.

As far as the Chevy Avalanche, I am sorry, but I think it is the butt ugliest thing on the road. And if they want to market this thing as a truck, they should do the conversion to the truck, load the bed to the brim with cow manure, get up to 60 mph then slam on the brakes. We'll see what kind of truck it is then. :)

cat320
07-02-2002, 10:17 PM
Your right Rob the chevy advalanch is a peice of sh*t and the uglest truck that they have built yet.To bad that chevy is pushing to make all there tucks look like that MAKE s IT EASY TO WANT TO BUY OTHER BRANDS.:angry:

Turf Technologies
07-20-2002, 11:17 PM
Since you live in Florida as i do 2wd is fine. I have a 2000 GMC 15004.8 2wd .I dont see many 4wd LCO trucks this far south.We dont get much snow here.

Brickman
07-23-2002, 06:09 PM
When was the last time FL saw enough snow that stayed to need 4 WD?

For this country you can hardly find 2 WD. As far as the Avalanche it is a BUTT ugly vehicle. The only people that buy them got to be die hard Chev guys. I would think that most people in their right mind would not change to one because they liked it.

Gravel Rat
07-29-2002, 01:43 AM
For me I'am looking for a 4x4 F-350 cab and chassis to replace my F-Superduty which is 2wd and its not cutting the mustard for getting in and out of these places I go. I never did have a 4x4 1 ton trucks before as I never needed it but now I'am getting more small soil delivery jobs out to these lake side cabins that have goat trails for roads getting to them. The people that own these cabins like the tough access roads because its a adventure getting to the summer cabin :rolleyes: . They ALWAYS tell me oh its fine you shouldn't have no problems you should make it with no problems at all Ya right. I always have made it but barely one day I won't make it and walking a mile to two miles to the main road to get some help isn't gonna be fun. A tow truck call out fee isn't cheap and even then they won't come and get ya your stuck because most of the tow trucks here are 2wd.

I know you are gonna ask why I go to these places and its one answer GOOD MONEY plus sometimes a guy sees some real good eye candy (Good Looking Women) at these cabins. Plus with these cabin people you will always get repeat business they may need more soil deliver'd or some building supplies etc.

If I didn't live in this rural area and lived in a city where the only offroad my truck seen was backing into a residential yard 2wd drive would be fine. Why have all that extra running gear being pushed around under your truck when you don't need it even if you lived in a area that sees snow 4 wheeldrive just gets you in trouble in the snow.

A good set of traction tires and a limited slip diff will get you out of the tougher spots in a city but if you live in a rural area where a 4x4 trail is classed as a driveway 4wheel is a must.

Albemarle Lawn
08-10-2002, 11:57 PM
And keep the $10K in change.

The Avalanch is a toy like an ATV. It's sprung too soft and you will fret every scratch.

You can buy a nice diesel truck about 4 years old for $15k and a nice car for $10K like a 3 year old Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, or TDI diesel Passat or something.

KB

Southern Lawns
08-11-2002, 01:10 AM
Who needs snow to have a 4X4, We take ours on the beach about everyweek. No 4X4 and you do it the old fashioned way, you tug all your cr@p from a parking space about 1/2 mile from the beach:angry: . Every winter we go skiing and snowmobiling up North. Gotta have 4X4. Spend the extra money, get the 4X4. You have beaches in Fl;). Better resale, it's there if you want it. Otherwise it's kinda like buying a Mustang with a 6 cyl. I wanna be a muscle car but I just aint there yet!:D

m&m
08-18-2002, 08:01 PM
if ya can afford it, get it...........like he said, if ya need it you have it.......i wont be without 4x4

it only gets those in trouble in snow cause they dont know what they are doing......they dont deserve to have a 4x4...lol

Alan
08-22-2002, 09:55 PM
My one experience with pickups in Fl made me a firm believer that 4wd is just as handy there as it is up north. I was visiting friends in Sebring and on the way home, US 27 about 10 miles south of Lake Wales I pulled truck and trailer off the road to look up a phone number. Typical FL sand once you left the pavement and I would still be there if I hadn't had a Traction Enhancement Lever to pull. I used to run 2wd up in Vermont, but after owning my first 4wd back in 72 I have not been without one since.

corban
09-19-2002, 09:13 PM
I also do residential work. I just recently bought my first 4x4 and I love it. It really opens up a lot of options. Ex: If you ever need to pull out shrubs, if a friend (or yourself) is stuck in a ditch, if you have to drive on someones wet lawn, offroad fun, ground clearance, pulling a trailer in the rain, etc. Not to mention it is just plain embarassing to be a lawn guy and be stuck in the mud. Before getting 4x4 I got stuck on a steep intersection in the rain, got stuck in a customers driveway when cleaning up ice storm tree damage, pulled over to help someone out of a ditch and got myself stuck, etc. A 2 wheel drive truck is like having a trimmer with two openings for string but only using one. It'll work for some stuff, but is definitely needed for other times. It really is not that much more money anyway. Adding 4x4 is about 5% more costly and about 40% more useful.

Also, good tires can make a huge difference in performance and looks of a truck. I recommed the Goodyear "Work Horse", which will greatly improve a 2 wheel drive's performance.

cat320
09-19-2002, 09:21 PM
The advalanche is an over priced toy nobody wanting to do any real landcaping work should really buy it.In my opinion it's the uglyest truck chevy had made yet including the 2003 pick ups.

hustlers
09-22-2002, 10:39 PM
my 2wd toyota could go through anything these ford 4*4
could go through.
I also got a 4wd and used it 3 times in 4 years and paid an
extra 3K for it that adds up to $1000 per towing

I should have got a tow truck for 50 bucks the 3 times
and saved $2850
go with 2wd

Nomoslowmow
09-22-2002, 11:30 PM
I got a 4X4 mainly for trips to the land fill. Rain combined with freshly moved fill combined with big truck traffic combined with a fully loaded trailer makes for a scary pull to the top of the hill! Then try to turn around and back up to unload!

If no dump trips, I would have a 2WD.

Bob