PDA

View Full Version : Trust your gut

armyofgoodmusic
04-24-2010, 08:05 PM
This morning i got a call from a strange old lady asking for and estimate....she had a lot of weird and in depth questions. So i go over meet with her agree on a price for mowing sign a contract and mow for the first time. She watches me mow the entire time and waves to me as i drive away saying thank you. 6 hours later i get a call and she is pissed....her exact words are "you did a sh#t job i dont want you working for me anymore". So i kindly reply im sorry could you please tell me what i did wrong so for future reference i can focus on that. She says when i blew the small tree buds off the driveway that i didnt blow them into her brush pile which is 100ft away. She never asked me to do this...you blow everything into the yard...thats what i always do. It was a couple hand fulls of very small tree buds if that, really not much at all. So she says im not going to pay you for the mowing today and im not going to honor your contract and hung up on me. When she first called she sounded so strange i thought about telling her i couldnt service in her area so no estimate was given. Should have trusted my gut...now im out time and money. What would you guys do to make this better......Im sick of people thinking that i read minds and when they find out i dont they think its ok not to pay me.

clean_cut
04-24-2010, 08:12 PM
I guess just live and learn.... No need to spend the time to take her to court or anything, if you want to try to keep her as a customer (which you probably don't), you could go out to her lawn and offer to rake out the tree buds or something.

lil_cote_93
04-24-2010, 08:15 PM
round up ice cubes….

zturncutter
04-24-2010, 08:23 PM
This is a common scam. She most likely pays almost nothing for lawn care year after year using the services of many different providers and then firing them. This crap has nothing to do with your service, do not worry about it.

rwar
04-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Dont let it get to you too much,sounds like you just got taken by a nut job,shake it off and move on

MajesticUSA
04-24-2010, 09:04 PM
round up ice cubes….

BAHAH Thats awesome... Does round-up freeze ? LOL

C4chris70
04-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Cut your losses, it would only get worse over time.

yardguy28
04-24-2010, 09:30 PM
i would turn her over to a collection agency.

she doesn't have a leg to stand on as far as not paying you for that work. she signed a contract so she can't really get out of at least paying for the first cut.

as for blowing things back into the yard i personally don't do this. if there are leaves or tree buds or anything else besides the grass clipping i blew there i run the blower before mowing so that stuff gets all chewed up and disappears or sent into the grass bag if i'm bagging the lawn. that way when i'm done all i have is whatever grass is on the hardscape from the mower and trimmer.

Lawn Pawn
04-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Seriously..... sounds like Alzheimers.

I would right it off and feel bad for the lady.
Very nice client I have is sliding down that chute.

MikeKle
04-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Take her to small claims court, you have the contract! At least it may make her think twice about doing this again if you keep her tied up with court dates, and if she looses, she must pay the court fees! and she wont be able to get out of that fee! Id think with the contract, you have a slam dunk!

brodo374
04-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Most of us have similiar stories. I truly hate people like that and hope that it all returns to them in some way at some time.

rain man
04-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Sometimes old crooks were once young crooks but this could be a mental problem associated with advancing years. I would let it pass. Hopefully when we get in that shape someone will give us a break too.

armyofgoodmusic
04-25-2010, 12:19 AM
i dont think this was her first time with this. When i gave her an estimate she told me about the last 2 companies that mowed for her...one left the gate open and lost the job because of it, the other one lost the job because according to her he was rude by asking "How long have you lived here?"....i should have left after she told me these things but sometimes you'd like to think that you can do a good job even to someone who may be hard to please and i consider myself a very good and appropriate business owner. NOPE....some people are just rude...with my experience its old women. Honestly out of all 50 of my clients the old women are the worst..by far. It seems as if they really dont have anything better to do then ***** about little things. If they dont complain about everything they slow you down because they want to talk everytime your there about their grandsons t ball team or something stupid that i act like i care about. HA!

ElephantNest
04-25-2010, 09:10 AM
I'd go directly to the notary public and lien her house. Then, I'd head over to the small claims court, and file a suit. Period. Wouldn't think twice about it.

When you show up in court with your proof of a Mechanic's lien, and your story, she will owe you for the job you did, the court costs, the cost of filing the lien, AND the cost of removing the lien ( you may have to remind the Judge to add that last fee onto the judgement, but they will).

If you were not allowed to try to rememdy the situation, she loses.

In the future, don't trailer your mower before you blow. Blow the walks and drives on the grass, then do a quick pass with the mower to make everything disappear, then trailer the mower.

topsites
04-25-2010, 09:28 AM
I would just let it go, move on, better off just go cut some good people's lawns
and leave this crazy lady to her own devices, don't work for her no more.

And y'all might think that's a dumb thing to say but some of these WILL call you back years later!
Yeah, out of all the things, but I would just go cut the next lawn, she's just not worth it.

Maybe be glad she only stiffed you this one cut instead of the whole month!
That's the only thing that saves a little grace, but...
Why she didn't say anything right when you were there?

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, except...

This is a common scam. She most likely pays almost nothing for lawn care year after year using the services of many different providers and then firing them. This crap has nothing to do with your service, do not worry about it.

That does kind of burn, what I was thinking about, too.
Oh well, if that's the case she'll get what she's working so hard for one day, don't be the one, just move along.
And maybe not, but it sure comes across that way.

tattooedturf
04-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Most of us have similiar stories. I truly hate people like that and hope that it all returns to them in some way at some time.

It always comes back around (you reap what you sow)

Two Seasons
04-25-2010, 04:22 PM
I was approached by a neighbor last year. She said her husband couldn't mow any more and that the lawn service guy was expensive and untimely. When she said "and look at how bad this wall looks" (the contractor did it and it looked good to me) that was the last thing I needed to hear out of her mouth. Strike three!

I told her that we were too busy and offered to pass her name along to an LCO in the area whom we trust. She walked away in a huff!

Give people enough rope (stay quiet and let them do the talking) while you are doing a walkaround with them, and most will expose themselves for who they are :clapping:

Yater
04-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Dump your next cleanup on her lawn.

unkownfl
04-25-2010, 05:12 PM
New customers, cash up front for at least the first few cuttings. A few will walk away but those are the ones who aren't going to pay anyway. I mean who is looking to get their lawn cut and worry about 20 to 30 bucks when you're already there ready to mow already. I just say look there is a billboard on the side of my truck and trailer do you really think I'm going to hide for 20-30 bucks?

KrayzKajun
04-25-2010, 05:22 PM
round up ice cubes….
O YEA

time for a visit from the lawn ninjas:sleeping:

ancjr
04-25-2010, 06:29 PM
I've had a couple friends and neighbors behave the same way after knowing them for years. Don't take it personally and consider yourself lucky for not having invested any more than you did. It can work for those few instances when there is a family member or other contact you can work through, but other than that, might as well play blackjack with your gas money and get better odds.

yardguy28
04-25-2010, 07:35 PM
I would just let it go, move on, better off just go cut some good people's lawns
and leave this crazy lady to her own devices, don't work for her no more.

And y'all might think that's a dumb thing to say but some of these WILL call you back years later!
Yeah, out of all the things, but I would just go cut the next lawn, she's just not worth it.

Maybe be glad she only stiffed you this one cut instead of the whole month!
That's the only thing that saves a little grace, but...
Why she didn't say anything right when you were there?

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, except...

That does kind of burn, what I was thinking about, too.
Oh well, if that's the case she'll get what she's working so hard for one day, don't be the one, just move along.
And maybe not, but it sure comes across that way.

so you think we want these same people years later??? i don't think so. once you've screwed up with me your done for good. anyone that stiffs me money whether they get turned over to the collection agency or not is never again a client of mine. i don't care how many years have passed. i have a list of "don't do work for" people. once your on that list your on it for good.

i would turn her over to the collection agency. he did work for her expecting to get paid a certain amount. even had a contract signed. she didn't pay. i don't care how little the amount is. i always turn non payers over to the collection agency.

Yater
04-25-2010, 11:10 PM
i would turn her over to the collection agency. he did work for her expecting to get paid a certain amount. even had a contract signed. she didn't pay. i don't care how little the amount is. i always turn non payers over to the collection agency.

Yep....try not paying a $40 phone or water bill and see what happens. Smack her credit. It doesn't even matter if you get the money back...her credit will have a collection on it and others will know not to trust her in the future. That's what a credit score is for.

mnglocker
04-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Dig a hole in her yard. Enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket. Take the bucket full of dirt and leave.

The satisfaction of her having to buy dirt to fill the hole will be worth the price you were shorted.