PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Super Duty 60, Bad Boy ZT60, Toro Titan 6050

Jaybo700R
04-24-2010, 10:26 PM
(reposted and more info added from a long thread in the commercial forum...)

I am interested in both the Hustler Super Duty 60 and the BB ZT 60. I looked at both today and both look like good mowers. I was not as impressed with the Hustler dealer as he was trashing on BB as newcomers and not as refined as the Hustler line. The BB is $5825 and the Hustler is $7200 price includes upgraded suspension seat on both. The BB is very heavy duty but the Hustler looks pretty strong as well.

Kohler Courage Pro 27hp vs Kawasaki 25hp - I figure I'll mow no more than 70 hrs/yr and will do regular maintenance likely more than required amounts - Comments on engines?

Deck spindles - Hustler dealer claims the spindles are much heavier duty than the BB - Comments?

Electric deck lift vs foot operated deck lift on the Hustler? - Comments?

Any known complaints about either model? I see some small details where the Hustler is a bit more refined than the BB, but the BB seems to be constructed heavier.

Just to throw another one in here, I was considering the Toro Titan ZX6050 but they did not have that model in stock - Pricing is a bit closer to the BB @ $5900 and it seems to be pretty well spec'd and has the Kawi 26hp engine - Should I look closer at this one?

ROPS is available only on the Hustler - I am somewhat concerned about this, but I'm not sure if it is a deal breaker. Should I put more weight to my decision having the ROPS on the machine?

I appreciate any feedback here - I have about 3 acres to mow with some slope but not excessive.

..Jay

MS_SURVEYOR
04-24-2010, 11:19 PM
As far as ROPS, are you in roll over situations? I mow some what hilly property. But I'm not in danger of turning over. A ROPS would be in my way mowing around and under trees. So for me a ROPS is useless. I'm not a big fan of trans axle drives, even thou it seems like that's the way the industry has gone with residential mowers. If you're willing to spend $7200, why not look at the Bad Boy Pup or Lighting? They're more of a commercial mower with twin hydro pumps and wheel motors.

Jaybo700R
04-25-2010, 12:13 AM
As far as ROPS, are you in roll over situations? I mow some what hilly property. But I'm not in danger of turning over. A ROPS would be in my way mowing around and under trees. So for me a ROPS is useless. I'm not a big fan of trans axle drives, even thou it seems like that's the way the industry has gone with residential mowers. If you're willing to spend $7200, why not look at the Bad Boy Pup or Lighting? They're more of a commercial mower with twin hydro pumps and wheel motors.

I have a spot where there is an 3' embankment at the bottom of a slope.Now I always mow across this with my current mower (Kubota 1505 tractor/belly mower) but I know ZTR's are less stable so, that is part of my concern.

a 60" pup is over $8000 and a 60" lightning is over $9000. As it is, my original budget of $5000 has turned into over $6000.

..Jay

MS_SURVEYOR
04-25-2010, 01:00 AM
I don't know Jay. That don't seem like that bad of a slope. I'd like to see a picture the situation. I don't think your prices are correct. That very well may be what your dealer is stating. But a Lighting listed on the Bad Boy web site,

5200 Lightning Z 26hp Kawasaki LC 52" 14.5 Gallons 14 mph $7,699

http://www.badboymowers.com/view/lightning-commercial-pricing

I got a 52 inch Pup last June with a 30 hp Kohler Pro out the door for $7,000.
I mow 5 acres of Bahia Grass on rough ground in 3 hours or less.

I bet a 60 inch Pup could be gotten for $7,000 plus tax.

I think you need to talk to retrodog. He's a member here.

http://www.lawnsite.com/member.php?u=53955

He's a Bad Boy dealer, but he won't try to sell you any thing. He knows the Bad Boy pricing.

I wanted a 60 inch mower at the time. Now with the 52 inch Pup, I wonder why? :rolleyes:

retrodog
04-25-2010, 02:01 AM
Yeah, zt 60" 4999, pup 30hp Kohler 60" 6999, and Lightning 60" 26hp $7999 plus destination. Your dealer might charge $1000 destination, or he must add alot of options to the mowers. Its kinda hard to sell over the retail price when the prices are listed everywhere. I too would recommend the Pup, that way you are comparing the same priced mower. 30hp Kohler Command Pup out classes the Hustler, for a few hundred more, you could get the 31hp Kawasaki.

Jaybo700R
04-25-2010, 02:29 AM
Yeah, zt 60" 4999, pup 30hp Kohler 60" 6999, and Lightning 60" 26hp $7999 plus destination. Your dealer might charge $1000 destination, or he must add alot of options to the mowers. Its kinda hard to sell over the retail price when the prices are listed everywhere. I too would recommend the Pup, that way you are comparing the same priced mower. 30hp Kohler Command Pup out classes the Hustler, for a few hundred more, you could get the 31hp Kawasaki.

List price from my dealer, with no options:

ZT 240 60" - $5599
Pup 6000 30hp $7799
Lightning 26 kawi 60" $8899

I was adding $225 for an upgrade to the suspension seat ( and possibly another $79 upgrade to the Fieldtrax tires)

Jaybo700R
04-25-2010, 04:27 PM
List price from my dealer, with no options:

ZT 2700 60" - $5599
Pup 6000 30hp $7799
Lightning 26 kawi 60" $8899

I was adding $225 for an upgrade to the suspension seat ( and possibly another $79 upgrade to the Fieldtrax tires)

Corrected a typo - that was the 2700 ZT -

It makes me wonder then if I should push for a lower price - Problem is they are the only 2 dealers in Oregon, unless I drive 230 miles to the bottom of the state.

Jaybo700R
04-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Oh and retrodog, how much should the adjustable control arms run me?

retrodog
04-26-2010, 09:40 PM
Oh and retrodog, how much should the adjustable control arms run me?

$218 retail, just get the Pup they come standard. On the zt now the handles are bent back for a nicer ride now, I think its a waste for them on it.

Jaybo700R
05-08-2010, 04:03 PM
I demo'd a Bad Boy ZT 50 this week. I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. Dealer prices were "set in stone" and they do not do any dealing on them. The dealer is primarily a New Holland tractor dealer. We talked more about tractors than about the mower and he was not all that knowledgeable about the ZT. He said management does not allow them to cut any prices. I told him I'd buy right there if he would throw in Suspension Seat, and the adjustable handles, but no go. His price's:
$5600 - ZT
$ 225 - Suspension Seat
$ 225 - Adjustable handles
$6050 - OTD

Talked to the Hustler dealer about a SuperDuty 60" 25hp Kawi - More than willing to deal - Only problem is I could not get one until a month out. They are an actual Saw and mower shop. Very knowledgeable about their products. I like that it has a fold-able ROPS on it - The Kawi should have good power I would think comparable to the 27hp Kohler. They don't offer a suspension seat on the SD - Dealer claims the Flex Forks will make up for that.
$6549 - SD 60
$ 212 - Flex Forks
$ 51 - Handle extentions
$6812 - OTD

Anyone care to comment further on the Hustler SD 60"?

Tangojessie
05-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Just got quotes for a couple mod's last week. $5999.99 for yours in question. The "Z" 60" 25hp was $7899; Super Z 72" $8999. They are all with standard equipment for model spec. Hustler is running special now till July 31 for $100 in hustler bucks towards purchase and I would get 24month interest free financing if purchased by 31 May. Will have to test drive because my yard is accustomed to tractors and vehicle traffic daily at times. I hope these prices help. Right now I own a Great Dane Chariot Jr. 48". I have no problem with the cut(its actually really good-in the smoother areas and even slopes/small hills), its the bumpiness I have a hard time with. Lowered air in tires and it helped just a tad "I think"? Anyway I thought I'd share the info.

KNIGHT81
06-19-2010, 12:29 AM
You probably already made your purchase but here's my .02 worth. I own 3 acres in Kansas (very flat) with several trees, house & barn = standard setup.

Not knowing jack about lawnmowers I made the standard new homeowner mistake. I purchased a big box store (sears crapsman 54 w 25 hp Kohler) which lasted two mowing seasons. Seems like warranty repair Guy was out monthly fixing something. And I babied that sucker, it was the biggest baddest mower sears sold.

Fool me once same on you. Fool me twice.....so, tested several ZTR's. Hustler in my decidedly non-expert opinion is best. Fastrac Super Duty 60" w 25 hp Kawi;

List: 7400
Neg: 6350 + light-kit, flexforks and tax = 71 and change OTD.
** + the three grand errantly spent on crapsman = ten grand total ;-(.

Came down to 4 year warranty and brutally tough build. 10 gal fuel, 9 mph speed, comfy seat, ROPS, good engine is nice too. Ran it through some tall thick grass and RPMs remained consistent.

I'm no expert but I took my time, looked at several comparable models from JD, Walker, Toro, BB and Cub Cadet among others. My only regret was not making the right decision in the first place.

MS_SURVEYOR
06-19-2010, 02:13 AM
You probably already made your purchase but here's my .02 worth. I own 3 acres in Kansas (very flat) with several trees, house & barn = standard setup.

Not knowing jack about lawnmowers I made the standard new homeowner mistake. I purchased a big box store (sears crapsman 54 w 25 hp Kohler) which lasted two mowing seasons. Seems like warranty repair Guy was out monthly fixing something. And I babied that sucker, it was the biggest baddest mower sears sold.

Fool me once same on you. Fool me twice.....so, tested several ZTR's. Hustler in my decidedly non-expert opinion is best. Fastrac Super Duty 60" w 25 hp Kawi;

List: 7400
Neg: 6350 + light-kit, flexforks and tax = 71 and change OTD.
** + the three grand errantly spent on crapsman = ten grand total ;-(.

Came down to 4 year warranty and brutally tough build. 10 gal fuel, 9 mph speed, comfy seat, ROPS, good engine is nice too. Ran it through some tall thick grass and RPMs remained consistent.

I'm no expert but I took my time, looked at several comparable models from JD, Walker, Toro, BB and Cub Cadet among others. My only regret was not making the right decision in the first place.

I too after mowing 5 acres of Bahia Grass for 19 years had to get something that could just do the job. Lawn tractors just couldn't hold up. It was a fast death. They just wore out in a couple of years. Then it was the 16 to 18 hours of mowing time. By the time I finished, it was almost too late to start with the grass being 12 inches high again. I spent my whole life mowing, repairing mowers, and praying for a break. Or better yet, hoping my mower didn't break down. We started getting a large part of the property bush hogged. Not the prettiest lawn to look at. But it keep the critters at bay. Last year my wife and I started looking at ztr's after her father died. We started mowing her mother's place and the deck went out on my Sabre LT. They hired a small LCO guy to mow until I could get the new deck on the Sabre. He showed up with a Yazoo ztr, and that impressed my wife!!! So after my mower was fixed my wife started mowing her mother's lawn with the Sabre. Then the rains set in, and both our places were a mess. LET's GO MOWER SHOPPING!! :cool2: We looked, and looked, and looked. I wanted every mower we saw. I've never met a mower I didn't like. :rolleyes: We were passing a tractor store when I saw something about Bad Boy Mowers Are Here! So we pulled in. She was making deals with the salesman about Husqvarna, and Toro home owner models. :cry: I went back to the Bad Boy models. WOW!! My wife and the salesman came back to where I was, and my wife went WOW! I was looking at the Lighting, she started looking at the ZT. After some research we agreed on the 52 inch Pup with the 30 hp Kohler Command Pro. The rest is history. Good History at that. We can now keep out place mowed no matter what. The Bad Boy Pup is up for the task. The Sabre is at my mother in law's place keeping her lawn mowed. And doing a grand job of it. What use to take me days mowing my place. Loosing ground if only one problem happened, now only takes me 50 hours a year no matter what mother earth throws at us.

It's only $$$. Spend it on something that will do the job. It's money well spent.

Tangojessie
06-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Well I have to apologize for a discrepancy on my last post! The "Hustler bucks" is only given for the sport model! Although they do have the 3 year 0% financing through 31 July!(No I'm not associated with a dealership in any fashion). I'm also pleased to inform of my purchase of a Hustler Super Z! :clapping: Comes with the suspension seat plus I'm adding the flex forks. I went with the rear discharge(more money...yea!), but I believe the extra work hours I have put in will more than pay for itself. Took a lot of thought but I have several mulched beds and got tired of trying to trace around all of them(some are close together), without spitting grass over them. Worst downfall is not only am I selling 2 mowers(Craftsman lawn tractor and Great Dane CH. Jr) to get this, but now my smaller tilt trailer(5X9) won't carry the new mower(bummer, back to selling!!)Thanks to all you guys and gals for the info in this forum!!!:usflag:

Tangojessie
06-19-2010, 12:28 PM
I too after mowing 5 acres of Bahia Grass for 19 years had to get something that could just do the job. Lawn tractors just couldn't hold up. It was a fast death. They just wore out in a couple of years. Then it was the 16 to 18 hours of mowing time. By the time I finished, it was almost too late to start with the grass being 12 inches high again. I spent my whole life mowing, repairing mowers, and praying for a break. Or better yet, hoping my mower didn't break down. We started getting a large part of the property bush hogged. Not the prettiest lawn to look at. But it keep the critters at bay. Last year my wife and I started looking at ztr's after her father died. We started mowing her mother's place and the deck went out on my Sabre LT. They hired a small LCO guy to mow until I could get the new deck on the Sabre. He showed up with a Yazoo ztr, and that impressed my wife!!! So after my mower was fixed my wife started mowing her mother's lawn with the Sabre. Then the rains set in, and both our places were a mess. LET's GO MOWER SHOPPING!! :cool2: We looked, and looked, and looked. I wanted every mower we saw. I've never met a mower I didn't like. :rolleyes: We were passing a tractor store when I saw something about Bad Boy Mowers Are Here! So we pulled in. She was making deals with the salesman about Husqvarna, and Toro home owner models. :cry: I went back to the Bad Boy models. WOW!! My wife and the salesman came back to where I was, and my wife went WOW! I was looking at the Lighting, she started looking at the ZT. After some research we agreed on the 52 inch Pup with the 30 hp Kohler Command Pro. The rest is history. Good History at that. We can now keep out place mowed no matter what. The Bad Boy Pup is up for the task. The Sabre is at my mother in law's place keeping her lawn mowed. And doing a grand job of it. What use to take me days mowing my place. Loosing ground if only one problem happened, now only takes me 50 hours a year no matter what mother earth throws at us.

It's only $$$. Spend it on something that will do the job. It's money well spent.

A guy I work with purchased a Bad Boy 2 years ago because at the time our loc. Hustler dealer wouldn't move on pricing. He's seems very satisfied with his purchase!!:waving: Thought I'd let you know...

KNIGHT81
06-19-2010, 03:36 PM
"It's only $$$. Spend it on something that will do the job. It's money well spent."

....well unfortunately I'm retired Army so spending ten grand on something that should have cost seven grand isn't pocket change to me. I wish I had taken the time to research places like "lawnsite.com" and listened to some of you smart guys before I went out and dropped three grand on junk initially. Buy quality - its only painful once.

Speaking of BadBoy, BB and one other were my final choices before I ended with Hustler. BB made what appeared to me to be an excellent machine. The other one was a machine popular in Kansas (built here as are Hustlers) called "Zipper". I don't see it discussed here but my neighbor owns one, he let me try it - damn fine machine.

But the Hustler dealer is close enough, I could drive my mower to it. Plus 4 year warrenty sealed it. What-ever-the-case, I'm glad I found this site, listened to some of you guys and in the end, finally made a good choice.

MS_SURVEYOR
06-19-2010, 03:56 PM
"It's only $$$. Spend it on something that will do the job. It's money well spent."

....well unfortunately I'm retired Army so spending ten grand on something that should have cost seven grand isn't pocket change to me. I wish I had taken the time to research places like "lawnsite.com" and listened to some of you smart guys before I went out and dropped three grand on junk initially. Buy quality - its only painful once.

Speaking of BadBoy, BB and one other were my final choices before I ended with Hustler. BB made what appeared to me to be an excellent machine. The other one was a machine popular in Kansas (built here as are Hustlers) called "Zipper". I don't see it discussed here but my neighbor owns one, he let me try it - damn fine machine.

But the Hustler dealer is close enough, I could drive my mower to it. Plus 4 year warrenty sealed it. What-ever-the-case, I'm glad I found this site, listened to some of you guys and in the end, finally made a good choice.

Well Good For KNIGHT81! It'll give all the service you'll need!

:drinkup:

KNIGHT81
06-19-2010, 04:52 PM
"Well Good For KNIGHT81! It'll give all the service you'll need!"

apologize - if there is seperate forum for this please re-direct me.

...ok, I'll take you up on that. My 3 acres....think of one perfectly square acre. Now think of three of those in a row. Again, its Kansas = flat. The rear-most acre is out of control pasture. What is best way to turn it into lawn like the rest of my yard = Kentucky BG & Fescue? What s a reasonable budget? $1,000.00 or $2,000.00? I'm thinking hire a guy to pulverize it - then seed/fertilize. Is it that simple? What are the better seed options for my area? Fertilizer blends? I plan to do this in September.

Advice?

again, sorry if this is posted in wrong place.

Tangojessie
06-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Knight 81, you should be able to go to your nearest co-op/ farm supply to get info on the better grasses for your area. Someone in this forum may have a better answer but so far my co-op has not led me wrong. 3 acres of perfect square lawn huh! Mine is somewhat different!! :dizzy: Kind of like it though. Happy mowing. Should get my Hustler on Tues. and can't wait.

MS_SURVEYOR
06-20-2010, 01:03 AM
"Well Good For KNIGHT81! It'll give all the service you'll need!"

apologize - if there is seperate forum for this please re-direct me.

...ok, I'll take you up on that. My 3 acres....think of one perfectly square acre. Now think of three of those in a row. Again, its Kansas = flat. The rear-most acre is out of control pasture. What is best way to turn it into lawn like the rest of my yard = Kentucky BG & Fescue? What s a reasonable budget? $1,000.00 or $2,000.00? I'm thinking hire a guy to pulverize it - then seed/fertilize. Is it that simple? What are the better seed options for my area? Fertilizer blends? I plan to do this in September.

Advice?

again, sorry if this is posted in wrong place.

Naw! This is as good a place for advice as there is. But I can't help you! But I think these guys might be a good start.

http://ksuturf.com/Welcome.htm

Good Luck! Ride the wheels of that Hustler. And if that don't work, grow more grass!

:drinkup:

Capemay Eagle
07-07-2010, 03:47 PM
(reposted and more info added from a long thread in the commercial forum...)

I am interested in both the Hustler Super Duty 60 and the BB ZT 60. I looked at both today and both look like good mowers. I was not as impressed with the Hustler dealer as he was trashing on BB as newcomers and not as refined as the Hustler line. The BB is $5825 and the Hustler is $7200 price includes upgraded suspension seat on both. The BB is very heavy duty but the Hustler looks pretty strong as well.

Kohler Courage Pro 27hp vs Kawasaki 25hp - I figure I'll mow no more than 70 hrs/yr and will do regular maintenance likely more than required amounts - Comments on engines?

Deck spindles - Hustler dealer claims the spindles are much heavier duty than the BB - Comments?

Electric deck lift vs foot operated deck lift on the Hustler? - Comments?

Any known complaints about either model? I see some small details where the Hustler is a bit more refined than the BB, but the BB seems to be constructed heavier.

Just to throw another one in here, I was considering the Toro Titan ZX6050 but they did not have that model in stock - Pricing is a bit closer to the BB @ $5900 and it seems to be pretty well spec'd and has the Kawi 26hp engine - Should I look closer at this one?

ROPS is available only on the Hustler - I am somewhat concerned about this, but I'm not sure if it is a deal breaker. Should I put more weight to my decision having the ROPS on the machine?

I appreciate any feedback here - I have about 3 acres to mow with some slope but not excessive.

..JayIs this mower just for your yard?? I would say go for the BB CZT series. I would look at the 50" deck and go for the commercial mower vs the 60" ZT. I would say that the 60" deck is overkill if it is just going to be for your yard, you could get away with the 50" deck.

MS_SURVEYOR
07-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Is this mower just for your yard?? I would say go for the BB CZT series. I would look at the 50" deck and go for the commercial mower vs the 60" ZT. I would say that the 60" deck is overkill if it is just going to be for your yard, you could get away with the 50" deck.

I agree. I looked at the ZT. but I didn't feel quite as conformable with the engine choices. I really didn't want to get in the ELS. The Courage was a strong engine. But I just couldn't get into them. Now the Vanguard 23 hp is a very fine engine. Even thou it has a Brigg label on it, it's not a Briggs at all. I looked at the BB CZT just yesterday at the dealer place. I must say I was very impressed looking it over. I could see me on one. Saying that, I mow 5 acres with a 52 inch deck with no regrets at all.

gmlm
07-09-2010, 06:46 AM
my dealer around here is selling the BB zt with the 26 horse briggs for 4299.00. i am thinking about it!

StanWilhite
07-11-2010, 03:53 PM
First thing to remember is (in an overwhelming majority of the time) when someone can drop their price on a product there was "negotiating room" built into the price to start with. When you go into a fancy store that sells diamonds you can bet that if you price an expensive diamond you can be assured the store will have plenty of room to negotiate.....a WHOLE LOTTA room. Try that at Burger King.
Always remember, it's not how much the seller drops the price that determines whether or not you got a good deal, it's what the final cost was. When you hear "I'll let you have it for X amount of dollars off", you should say "off of what amount"? You can price something at 1 1/2 times what it's worth, then drop the selling price by a smaller amount and please some people....don't be one of those people.
Go to the websites and look at the specs....that's what sells BadBoys. And no....I'm not affliated in any way to BadBoy other than being a very happy customer. Stan in N AL.