PDA

View Full Version : Shindaiwa EB 802 or Echo PB 770?

DodgeGuy18
04-25-2010, 12:35 AM
I am looking for a new backpack blower and have narrowed my choices down to the Shindaiwa EB 802 and the Echo PB 770. Which would you purchase and why?

metro36
04-25-2010, 12:56 PM
EB 802 as I own one and have had better luck with it than my other echo blowers I owned in the past. Plus the shindy has been out longer than the new echo model.

jvanvliet
04-25-2010, 07:22 PM
EB802... quick start and blows like a hurricane

THEGOLDPRO
04-25-2010, 07:25 PM
only newbs buy echo crap.

Lagniappe
04-27-2010, 08:53 PM
What a dumb statement. Compare the Echo 770 to any blower out there. Better numbers, and more fuel efficient. Not rocket science.

Have had a Echo 770T for right around a month. The bad boy has already paid for itself.

mictrik
05-02-2010, 01:49 AM
"Better numbers"

Well one thing I know for sure is that the "numbers" are almost always made up. Marketing seems to have control of the numbers of every brand. I would wager that the EB802 is more powerful that the PB-770, especially if one removes the ridiculously constrictive spark arrestor cover. I also believe that the EB802 will prove to be one of the most reliable BP blowers ever made. I am also sure that Echo blower will be very reliable.

Alan0354
05-02-2010, 04:57 AM
How many of the people voted actually have try both and make an objective comparison?:rolleyes:

rob7233
05-02-2010, 07:58 AM
I voted for the Shindy but I'm partial. Objectively, the 802 is older, has proven reliability, lighter in weight and likely because it's an older design will run cooler and be less restricted than a newer model, thus lasting longer. The newer the model, the more restricted & leaner it's going to be and that equals more heat. Now just add the alcohol (ethanol) to add even more to the heat factor. Ethanol will gum up the works while potentially washing away the little lubrication at start up of 2 cycle mix. >> (Make sure to always use the Marine grade Stabil fuel preservative). Besides, for example the EB630's were/are bulletproof!

Echos seem to run into carb issues 2-4 years down the road which is expensive to fix. Save money on fuel now, spend it later on carb work..?? On the other hand, the 770 is now, the most powerful as far as the ratings and from a previous poster who claims it to be more fuel efficient (did he compare the 802/770 directly, in real world fuel consumption and is the 770 a 4 mix?).
How's your Echo dealer and what is Echo's commercial warranty for the new equipment?
You will still have to pay for the labor and your time anyway to get it fixed. Just some things you might want to consider.

Alan0354
05-02-2010, 04:55 PM
only newbs buy echo crap.

Not true. In my area Echo and Shindaiwa are the biggest. Mostly Echo blowers with only the Husky 150Bt/RM EBZ5001 make up the rest. Echo and Shindaiwa Trimmers make up most used. It is regional nothing to do with quality.

joed
05-02-2010, 07:26 PM
I just bought the Echo PB770 a few weeks ago. I've used for about 1.5 hours. Here's what I found:
Pros

Starts well
Lightweight
Nice "air conditioning" unit on the back

Cons

Not as powerful as Echo claims. It's about the same as the Stihl BR600 which I also own but not as strong as my old Redmax 8000.
Sucks fuel. For a 63 cc engine, this thing goes through gas, more so than my old Redmax. Hopefully this improves with a break-in period.
Short tubes are a pain. You have to be right on top of debris to blow it and you have to bend down to get stuff too

Overall, the PB770 is a nice blower but I've been disappointed with the power. I bought the unit to replace my 5 year old Redmax 8000, which was showing signs of age. I tested the PB770 and the Shindaiwa EB8520 in my dealer's parking lot and it appeared to me that the Echo outblew the Shindaiwa but it's hard to tell unless you get it out on a jobsite. In retrospect, I do wish I'd have taken the Shindaiwa EB8520. It was $130 more but I think I'd have liked it better. I can't compare the PB770 to the EB802 since I've never tried it but I'd say that since the EB802 is not as strong as the EB8520, you'd probably find the PB770 to surpass its performance.

DodgeGuy18
05-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Do I dare ask this.....?

Should I also be considering the Stihl BR 600 Magnum?

joed
05-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Do I dare ask this.....?

Should I also be considering the Stihl BR 600 Magnum?

For an everyday blower, definitely. I have a plain old BR600 (2006 model) and it's never given me any trouble. Fuel efficiency is fantastic as is the light weight. I can't think of any better everyday blower than this one. Now, when it comes to clean ups, especially in the fall with leaves, then you might want to looks elsewhere: Shindaiwa EB8520, Echo PB770, or Redmax 8001/Husqvarana 180BT. The raw power of the Redmax is incredible. I've come to the conclusion that you should not believe the manufacturer's ratings on air volume and air speed. They never seem to match real world performance. Example, both the BR600 and PB770 are rated higher than the Redmax in air volume but I can tell you, from 1st hand experience, that the Redmax outblows both of them.