PDA

View Full Version : Time to replace all lawn equipment - need input

tomas21
04-25-2010, 12:50 AM
My current equipment were hand me downs from my father but they are all on their last legs. I'm looking for a new mower, trimmer, and blower for our first home. Backyard is about 1000sq ft & frontyard is about 3000 sq ft.
I want something durable yet won't break the bank so input is appreciated.

Old Equipment

Gas powered Lawn Mower
Brand: Craftsman Briggs & Straton, 6.0 Horsepower, 20" Rear discharge
Model: 917.387381

Trimmer
Brand: Poulan Weed Eater Featherlight
Model: FL1500

Gas powered weed edge trimmer
Brand: Echo
Model: GT-2000

GreenwithEnvyLawn
04-25-2010, 01:37 AM
Toro Makes a great push mower. Can find them at Home Depot. For a trimmer and blower I like Stihl equipment. But Echo is good too and can also be found at Home Depot.

MarcSmith
04-25-2010, 07:10 AM
fora residential application, do not over look the honda mowers.. well made and would do fine.

The echo products sold at home depot namely the straight shaft trimmer is light commercial grade. We use them on campus and we can get 5 years out of them.

and a hand held blower would suffice.

you should be able to get a full package for around 1,000

another option for which I have no experience is the echo split shaft unit which allows you to swap out the "tool" end of the equipment. so you buy the power unit, and then you can buy attachments.

Do look at your local lawn and garden dealers. As it is nice to have a relationship in case you need to have work done. I would consider for small equipment. Stihl, Echo, Shindiawa.

I have a shindiawa trimmer and edger that are going on 14 years old with the first 5 years of its life was commercial existence with my business.

if you buy from a big box store I woudl stick with a commercial brand name at the very least, parts are easier to come by and dealers won't scowla t you when you bring it in. My small engine mechanic works on personal equipment for side money, and watching him source parts for the non commercial brands, home lite, poulan, ect, doesn't look fun..

tomas21
04-25-2010, 05:35 PM
So which models should I look at in terms of...

Honda Push mower
Echo Blower & Trimmer
Stihl Blower & Trimmer

tomas21
04-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Anyone have input for equipment models for me to look into for a mower, trimmer, and blower?

shotgunshane
04-26-2010, 06:54 PM
I recently bought a Tanaka trimmer and am very impressed. Extremely light weight and well balanced. They come with a 7 yr residential warranty. Amazon sells them, so you could price them out before seeing a dealer.

Stihl backpack blowers are the only ones to look at. I will never own anything else.

Posted via Mobile Device

tomas21
05-02-2010, 04:54 PM
So far this is what I'm looking at for my application

Blower:
*Husqvarna 125B 28cc 2-Cycle Handheld Gas Blower
Echo PB-251 25.4 cc Gas Power Blower

Trimmer:
Echo SRM211 21.2 Cc 17" Straight Shaft Trimmer
Echo SRM225 21.2 17" Straight Shaft Trimmer
Husqvarna 128LD 28cc 2-Cycle Straight-Shaft Gas String Trimmer

Mower:
Still researching...

tomas21
05-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Any Honda mower recommendations?

capnrob97
05-03-2010, 08:31 PM
So far this is what I'm looking at for my application

Blower:
*Husqvarna 125B 28cc 2-Cycle Handheld Gas Blower
Echo PB-251 25.4 cc Gas Power Blower

Trimmer:
Echo SRM211 21.2 Cc 17" Straight Shaft Trimmer
Echo SRM225 21.2 17" Straight Shaft Trimmer
Husqvarna 128LD 28cc 2-Cycle Straight-Shaft Gas String Trimmer

Mower:
Still researching...

I bought the Echo PB-251 recently, so far I like it. Only have the cheap Weedeater blower to compare it to though.

piste
05-04-2010, 10:40 PM
I'll save you a lot of time here...pay close attention...

Mower...buy NOTHING at big box stores...find a local dealer and get a commercial grade mower and spend AT LEAST $500...Toro SuperRecycler or Honda. Virtually EVERYTHING at Home Depot and Lowes is crap. How do I know? Learned the hard way. Lawnmowers are one thing that you do indeed get what you pay for.

Trimmer...get a Stihl...whichever one floats your boat...they are all great.. FS45 is fine for homeowner and about $150...or you can easily spend twice that on another model if you feel like it...not sure any of that is worth it though. The one thing they don't tell ya though is how to REALLY start them...two pulls with choke on....it should start and then immediately stall...open up choke...one or two pulls and you are good to go. Very quirky...but very consistent.

Blower....Toro electric version Super something or other...cord is a pain but it's a well reputed model.