PDA

View Full Version : Whats your price on 2.8 acres

BLC1
04-25-2010, 08:56 AM
2.8 acres that has finish grade. Needs to be run over with rock hound or something similar. Wide open area and will be seeded and strawed. What do you charge for a larger job like this.

lukemelo216
04-25-2010, 10:51 AM
personally I am not a fan of straw or blankets, I like to use encap lawn starter.......it holds water really good, provides starter fertilizer, and speeds up the germination process. 1 bag covers 3k on the high end and it doesnt have any weed seeds like straw does.

How bad are the rocks? I would venture to say that you could effectivily rockhound it if it isnt bad in like 2-2.5 hours. I dont know what your area is, but by me we use 5lbs/k new install so thats 610lbs of seed. I probably would get a discount on the amount of bags (mine are 25lb bags.)

You would probably be better off, using a power seeder on the front of your skid steer to do it quicker. Id put down 2.5lbs NS and then rake it in, and then 2.5lbs EW and rake that in. Go over the top of it with the lawn starter (flows through a spreader) While the guy is planting with the skid steer have a 2 other guys using the back of a leaf rake to mix the seed into the topsoil, and do it both ways (better coverage and less missed spots)

Id be at probably 18 man hours labor ($720) probably about 5 or 6 loader hours ($465) Seed with lawn starter ($2590) and material haul off/disposal ($50). Id bid it anywhere from 3700-3900.

SeedPro
04-25-2010, 11:13 AM
Straw?

LOL

What for?

I'd do a job like that myself for 200 dollars per thousand or roughly 20,000 dollars.

Take 2 days.

SeedPro
04-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Id bid it anywhere from 3700-3900.

Good grief man. That's dirt cheap.

JB1
04-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Good grief man. That's dirt cheap.

yep it might be cheap, but he wouldn't be laughed out of the place, as with your price.

lukemelo216
04-25-2010, 11:37 AM
You have to remember, no topsoil, no grading nothing. Its basically just seed work if you would read the post and question.

Couple hours to rock hound it, if it isnt really bad. Then if you dont want to use the loader to seed, two guys with push spreaders, and two guys with rakes. Take about 1 hour to spread the first pass of seed. Then everyone finishes raking the pass in, then go the other direction. So your talking like 2-2.5 hours to seed by spreader........Then while the other guys are loading up the equipment, two guys with spreader spread the lawn starter............probably about 1 hour of work for that and your done. You could be in and out of there 5-6 hours tops with 4 guys

rcreech
04-25-2010, 11:44 AM
If it is already pretty flat and open I would be somewhere around $4,000 to $5,000.

That would include Harley Raking twice, rock/debris removal, primary seeding TTTF at 8#/k, starter fert and straw blown on.

If there wasn't a lot of stone and is as open as you say I would easily have it done in about 5-6 hours with 3 guys!

rcreech
04-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Straw?

LOL

What for?

I'd do a job like that myself for 200 dollars per thousand or roughly 20,000 dollars.

Take 2 days.

How do you justify 20 grand...and why 2 days?

My cost including man hours and equipment is under $2000!

Turboguy
04-25-2010, 11:55 AM
I just seeded a 2 acre job this week for $ 4500.00. Usually I get $ 2000.00 an acre for seeding (hydroseeding not that it matters). I had a little more travel time in that one and it was hard to get into so I upped my price a bit. I would think with the rockhounding about 5-6 grand would be about right. I have another 16 acre job I am doing at $ 1950 an acre. I do have a good profit built in and could do it for less but am busy enough that I don't feel like working cheap. You need to make money on what you do.

rcreech
04-25-2010, 12:01 PM
The key to doing these jobs cheap and effeciently is having the equipment and people to do it right...and to get in and GET out asap.

When a customer asks why I charge so much for seeding...I tell them that when I pull up I will have 40 grand in equipment and get it done in half the time of anyone else and usually I am priced exactly where I need to be!

If I am going up against a guy with a rototiller.... :)

SeedPro
04-25-2010, 12:25 PM
How do you justify 20 grand...and why 2 days?

My cost including man hours and equipment is under $2000!

2 days because I work alone, and if you want to seed 3 acres and prep the soil for under 2 grand....be my guest.

As a matter of fact if your work is top quality I will use you as a subcontractor.

I just sold a roundup and machine seed on 14000 sq ft for 2500, and sell jobs like that all the time.

SeedPro
04-25-2010, 12:27 PM
yep it might be cheap, but he wouldn't be laughed out of the place, as with your price.

So beit. I'd move on to the next gig.

I charge 150 to 175 per thousand for machine seeding and get it all day long and people say they thought it would be more.

your 610 pounds of quality seed alone would cost you anywhere from 950 to 1200 dollars.

Unless you're buying junk from Tractor supply.

I do high end seeding. Not mickey mouse seeding.

SeedPro
04-25-2010, 12:30 PM
If it is already pretty flat and open I would be somewhere around $4,000 to $5,000.

That would include Harley Raking twice, rock/debris removal, primary seeding TTTF at 8#/k, starter fert and straw blown on.

If there wasn't a lot of stone and is as open as you say I would easily have it done in about 5-6 hours with 3 guys!

Blowing straw on a seed job just screams rookie to me.

I'm sorry but it does.

You don't need straw on a seed job unless it's on the side of a freeway.

SeedPro
04-25-2010, 12:32 PM
What you guys have to consider when pricing lawn installation is what it would cost the client to sod it.

Anyone know the price of sodding 3 acres?

SeedPro
04-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Honestly though the best way to go about a job like that is to hydroseed it.

It's really not a job I would probably bid anyhow. I am more into renovations than new construction.

A lot of it has to do with competitions prices because everyone thinks they can toss cheap tractor supply seed around and walk away with a check.

I am one of if not the only one in my area that machine seeds and renovates, and I don't seed it and forget it. I stop back every few days to check the moisture levels and to make sure everything is on track.

lukemelo216
04-25-2010, 01:59 PM
my seed would cost me around 1500 actually. I dont know the exact discount I would get though off the top of my head. I get it for 2.49/lb. Its Reinders Premium 60 Seed mix, 60% kbg, 20% rye, 20% fescue easily the best seed in my area. I wouldnt machine seed it though. I mis spoke that part. I would just use 2 spreaders and spread it, rake it in and spread it again. 4 guys can spread the seed and rake it in, roughly about 2.5 to 3 hours. seed installed with the starter I would be at around $3200 and then with the skid loader work and haul off $3700-4000 or so.

He said it already has the final grade, just needs the rock hound. That will till up the soil enough for the seed to go in.

if you have ride on spreaders you can do it quicker probably. hydroseeding would be the way to go though as others said. Or what you could do, is the area around the house seed it and then hydroseed the rest. do like 20k around the house and then all the stuff away from it just hydro

rcreech
04-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Blowing straw on a seed job just screams rookie to me.

Rookie..:)

So you are telling me that you should make more then me doing it yourself vs doing it with 3 guys in a half day?

You are such a moron!

I would definitely straw a lawn of that size...just to hold the moisture! There is no way one could water that much area.

Now if in the fall...I may not worry about it due to more rainfall and declining temps.

rcreech
04-25-2010, 02:42 PM
2 days because I work alone, and if you want to seed 3 acres and prep the soil for under 2 grand....be my guest.

I didn't say I would prep it for under 2 grand...I said my COST was under 2 grand!

That means I would NET 3 grand!

I am very happy with going out in a day and making 3 grand and still getting to start or possibly complete another job before going home for the day!

You wouldn't sell anything for those prices around here!

rcreech
04-25-2010, 02:46 PM
my seed would cost me around 1500 actually. I dont know the exact discount I would get though off the top of my head. I get it for 2.49/lb. Its Reinders Premium 60 Seed mix, 60% kbg, 20% rye, 20% fescue easily the best seed in my area. I wouldnt machine seed it though. I mis spoke that part. I would just use 2 spreaders and spread it, rake it in and spread it again. 4 guys can spread the seed and rake it in, roughly about 2.5 to 3 hours. seed installed with the starter I would be at around $3200 and then with the skid loader work and haul off $3700-4000 or so.

He said it already has the final grade, just needs the rock hound. That will till up the soil enough for the seed to go in.

if you have ride on spreaders you can do it quicker probably. hydroseeding would be the way to go though as others said. Or what you could do, is the area around the house seed it and then hydroseed the rest. do like 20k around the house and then all the stuff away from it just hydro

I would use a TTTF/PR mix and can get it for $.75/lb. My total seed cost would be a little over $700. I would have another $140 in starter plus labor and equipment which I figure at my cost of $70/tractor/hour.

I would make out on this like a bandit at 5 grand! Do it all the time! :)

rcreech
04-25-2010, 02:48 PM
What you guys have to consider when pricing lawn installation is what it would cost the client to sod it.

Anyone know the price of sodding 3 acres?

That really doesn't make sense! Sod takes more water over the long haul then seeding!

I wish you lived closer...because I would take you out of the seeding business!

Seeding is one of our specialties and I have the equipment to run you out on your prices!

Sounds to me like you are just not effecient if you have to charge that much. What equipment are you using? How would you do this job to justify 20 grand for a one man band?

lukemelo216
04-25-2010, 03:00 PM
I use the lawn starter instead of seed, never had a problem with wash out except for near gutters, in that case i straw that area, but I have very little weed development with my product. Cheapest I can get seed here is $1.18/lbs and thats 30-50-20 (kbg, fescue, rye). I just stick with the premium 60 mix and have great results. If I am over seeding I might use a little lower mix, but new lawns thats my mix.

1 guy on this can finish this in 1 day if you roll up at like 7 am and work till about 7 pm less time if you use a light drag to mix the seed in.

rcreech
04-25-2010, 03:19 PM
I use the lawn starter instead of seed, never had a problem with wash out except for near gutters, in that case i straw that area,

I don't use straw for erosion control as much as for a way to hold moisture. If you use straw you can water less and or get less rain.

I don't always use straw but on lawns of this size, and depending on the time of year it is a must if you want good germination.

lukemelo216
04-25-2010, 05:11 PM
ya that makes sense this stuff holds water really well too its almost like the paper mulch you put into hydroseed mixes

rcreech
04-25-2010, 05:53 PM
ya that makes sense this stuff holds water really well too its almost like the paper mulch you put into hydroseed mixes

Can you please explain how you apply the product and cost?

SeedPro
04-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Rookie..:)

So you are telling me that you should make more then me doing it yourself vs doing it with 3 guys in a half day?

You are such a moron!

I would definitely straw a lawn of that size...just to hold the moisture! There is no way one could water that much area.

Now if in the fall...I may not worry about it due to more rainfall and declining temps.

If you can't properly water a lawn that's not my fault. Straw makes a mess, inhibits germination, makes a mess, and it's silly to use.

I turn down seeding work all the time because I can tell people won't or can't water a given area be it 1000 sq feet or 10,000.

Putting straw on a seeded lawn is so old school and lawn mowing guy it makes me cringe.

SeedPro
04-25-2010, 07:23 PM
I didn't say I would prep it for under 2 grand...I said my COST was under 2 grand!

That means I would NET 3 grand!

I am very happy with going out in a day and making 3 grand and still getting to start or possibly complete another job before going home for the day!

You wouldn't sell anything for those prices around here!

Well then I am glad I don't live around "there"

I provide a specialty service that no one else in my area is offering to my knowledge, and sodding is three times as expensive as what I do.

Lot's of guys can spread seed and blow straw.

That's not what I do.

Nor what I want to do. I'll leave that to you mowing contractors with a tractor payment.

SeedPro
04-25-2010, 07:25 PM
I would use a TTTF/PR mix and can get it for $.75/lb. My total seed cost would be a little over $700. I would have another $140 in starter plus labor and equipment which I figure at my cost of $70/tractor/hour.

I would make out on this like a bandit at 5 grand! Do it all the time! :)

.75 cents a pound for Turf Type Tall Fescue and Perennial Rye?

lol

Where do you get seed at those kinda prices?

SeedPro
04-25-2010, 07:34 PM
That really doesn't make sense! Sod takes more water over the long haul then seeding!

I wish you lived closer...because I would take you out of the seeding business!

Seeding is one of our specialties and I have the equipment to run you out on your prices!

Sounds to me like you are just not effecient if you have to charge that much. What equipment are you using? How would you do this job to justify 20 grand for a one man band?

Well for one you are wrong. Sod takes less watering than seeding. but at any rate, I would have one of you hillbillies come in with your tractor and remove rocks, re grade, (because I have seen what some of you call final grade and I laugh my butt off) and I would machine seed with whatever type of turf the client wanted after we discussed what their expectations are and what the turf will be used for. Be it 100% Blue, 70-30 Blue Rye, Turf Type Fescue, Bentgrass etc.

Then I would install the seed with a machine in two directions possibly three, and apply starter fertilizer. I also wouldn't dream of taking on a job like this unless there was a full boogie sprinkler system to cover all areas, and I would have them watering pretty much 24 hours a day or however long it took to water each area three times a day for 10-15 minutes depending on water pressure, and what kind of heads they use.

Like I said.....I get 150-175 per thousand all day for machine seeding. The 200 I'd say for this job would also be for rock removal and final grading.

I know it, and I are expensive. I get that.

I've machine seeded 10 lawns last week alone, and have more to do.

JB1
04-25-2010, 07:40 PM
i think the words full of himself fits here or better yet full of crap might be a better choice.

SeedPro
04-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Heres before and after photos of just one job I have done. last year. Roundup and double aerate and machine seed on 10,000 sq ft.

1900 bucks.

I am doing the back and sides this year in May. 14000 sq ft. 2500 bucks.

As you can see....the guy had nearly the best looking lawn on the cul de sac when I started. Had bentgrass patches he hated. So we killed the entire front off. Don't sell yourselves short.

SeedPro
04-25-2010, 07:44 PM
i think the words full of himself fits here or better yet full of crap might be a better choice.

I encourage you to buy a machine seeder, and sell machine seeding and renovations. Charge 150 per thousand.

It's a very profitable specialty service and people really like it and are glad to pay these prices.

Or? Cut grass....toss seed and straw for cheap.

I don't care.

SeedPro
04-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Heres another. Front, sides and a very little of the back around the home. Roundup and re seed, single aeration 3000 sq ft.

800 bucks.

JB1
04-25-2010, 07:50 PM
[QUOTE=SeedPro;3537723]Heres before and after photos of just one job I have done. last year. Roundup and double aerate and machine seed on 10,000 sq ft.

1900 bucks.

I am doing the back and sides this year in May. 14000 sq ft. 2500 bucks.[/QUd

thats a nice job, but the question was on 2.8 acres and not 10,000 square feet. You did a nice job there and you need to stick to the small jobs, but there is no way you can do a acre or more with your pricing, as for seed price we are buying seed cheaper than we ever have this year.

SeedPro
04-25-2010, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=SeedPro;3537723]Heres before and after photos of just one job I have done. last year. Roundup and double aerate and machine seed on 10,000 sq ft.

1900 bucks.

I am doing the back and sides this year in May. 14000 sq ft. 2500 bucks.[/QUd

thats a nice job, but the question was on 2.8 acres and not 10,000 square feet. You did a nice job there and you need to stick to the small jobs, but there is no way you can do a acre or more with your pricing, as for seed price we are buying seed cheaper than we ever have this year.

And like I said. New construction is not my wheelhouse....and thanks for the compliment.

But I just sprayed 2 acres of roundup on a job a felloow lawn guy hydroseeded last fall and it is an epic fail, and he has to basically start from scratch, regrade (because it's all washed out and rutted now), re hound, and re hydro.

Why?

Because the sprinkler system was not up and running.

It's new construction, a million dollar home, and I scratch my head sometimes. He called me to go look at it and to fertilize it. I walked the site and was in shock. Called him and told him the bad news.

Punton3rdDown
04-25-2010, 07:55 PM
I would be at @$10k if it was hydroseeded. Hand seeding would be considerably less. I am about .06 cents a square foot to hydroseed. That comes out to be around $7300 and I would probably be around 2 grand to go over it with the rock hound.

lukemelo216
04-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Can you please explain how you apply the product and cost?

its a product called lawn starter by encap professional products. Its a granular substance that you run through a broadcast spreader or a blower and cover the seeded area. When there is no slope you but it down at 16 lbs/k and on sever slopes 70lbs/k. It expands as it gets wet and it holds the water, it has starter fertilizer built into it. And it actually has been proven to provide better erosion control than straw blankets and there is no elements of weeds introduced like in straw. The other nice thing about it, is you dont have the straw blankets left over when your finished. I dont care how good of a blanket you buy, after I still see them on properties i mow for.

On the low end this bag will cover about 3k. I pay about $35/bag (pallet pricing is down to like 25-30/bag for this from Reinders. They are a local company by me but if you look online you can find a dealer.

heres a link to it http://distributor.encap.net/Products/Professional/tabid/88/LawnStarterTurfEstablishmentGranules.aspx

SeedPro
04-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Just use a considerable amount of perennial rye. Theres your erosion control on that job.....in 5-7 days IF properly watered.

Then.....you'll have a big explosion of blue, or whatever other cultivar you have mixed in a couple weeks later.

I see lawns that were covered in straw three years after they were done and I can still see the straw.

lukemelo216
04-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Thats why i started to use the lawn starter stuff. I cant stand to use the straw think about it................when we were doing straw blanket................product is 42$ to cover 1k sq feet, 10 minutes to lay 1 roll (no cutting) theres $6.80, staples $.05/blanket that comes to $48.85/1k for a straw blanket. That equates to $146.55/3k

My lawn starter stuff is sold at $50.00/bag than 5 minutes to spread so like $4 labor thats $54/3k or $18/k nearly 2.75 times cheaper and more effective and better looking than straw. Plus I can offer a lower price on higher totals straw you really cant.

Best parts its gone after the lawn begins to establish, and there are not as high of risks to develop weeds as with straw

rcreech
04-25-2010, 09:13 PM
.75 cents a pound for Turf Type Tall Fescue and Perennial Rye?

lol

Where do you get seed at those kinda prices?

:laugh:

Sod takes a lot more water! I have seen sod lawns 2 years old be lost in a drought and the seeded back lawn make it! Sod takes a lot more water!

I think we are seeing who the rookie is here!

As far as straw...it has to be used on multiple acres! It is a cheap source and although I am not a big fan it works. I only blow about 50% coverage and it works well and almost all seeders use straw on larger areas when not doing hydroseeding (which I am not a big fan of).

Question me all you want! I use Lesco Team Mates and considering I go through about 12,000 lb a year I am sure I get a pretty good price on it compared to you that just do a few seedings a year!

Show me how you seed. Lets show equipment on here big boy becasue I know I can smoke you. I run a 30 hp Kubota with a Landpride OS1548 and also have a Landpride PS1572. I run my Harleyrake on a JD3520 and pull up with a semi pulling a 32 ft tilt trailer.

Go ahead and question me but show me some pics.

We are talking larger properties here not 10K lawns. My pricing and the way I handle a 10K lawn is a lot different then multiple acres.

rcreech
04-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Just use a considerable amount of perennial rye. Theres your erosion control on that job.....in 5-7 days IF properly watered.

Then.....you'll have a big explosion of blue, or whatever other cultivar you have mixed in a couple weeks later.

I see lawns that were covered in straw three years after they were done and I can still see the straw.

You said you don't do new seedings so of course you don't use straw. I don't on renovations either!

PR totally sucks and I use as little as possible!

If you are seeing straw 3 months after seeding they didn't know what they were doing. It comes down to knowing what you are doing and what kind to use. I ONLY use Rotary straw which is VERY FINE and doesn't hardly pick up becuse it lays so flat.

I don't blow a ton of straw but probably about 30% of my props and rarely have issues!

Again...doing a summer seeding, how do you hold moisture? Especially on jobs over 1-2 acres?

rcreech
04-25-2010, 10:21 PM
I was wrong...it is $.77!

I am so embarassed! :)

I am usually within a penny...but was off 2 this time!

SeedPro
04-25-2010, 10:30 PM
That's a good price but I didn't know you were using inexpensive fescues.

I seed mostly with premium bluegrass blends that are more expensive.

!!!!

:)

rcreech
04-25-2010, 10:37 PM
That's a good price but I didn't know you were using inexpensive fescues.

I seed mostly with premium bluegrass blends that are more expensive.

!!!!

Inexpensive fescues? What do you mean?

TTTF is by far the best turf you can use around here. It has the best drought tolerance and disease tolerance while making a beautiful deep dark green lawn. It is preferred here over any other turf type!

Blue and Rye doesn't do well here unless irrigated and nobody irrigates as my average size lawn is 31K.

I had to buy about 700# of 50/50 blend of KYB and PR last week for my athletic fields and I paid $1.20. It about killed me.

Last year I was paying a $1.28 for TTTF but the bottom has dropped out of the market due to housing being down!

So are you going to show me the equipment you have to seed? I want to see why you are worth 20 grand when I am not and using the best equipment. You have bashed me so are you going to step up and show me?

Please do!

Show me your lineup!

rcreech
04-25-2010, 10:56 PM
I have a Renovator 20 and a grass stitcher. 3500 bucks, paid cash and I charge 150 to 175 per thousand.

You have 40,000 dollars in equipment and charge 25 per thousand.

Draw your own conclusions.

Yep...and you may do a couple acres a year if that, and I can do 12+ acre job in 2 days!

Your compairson is like comparing pulling a hose vs a ride on!

It cost more to have a ride vs pulling a hose also...but you can get much more done in a day and you are MORE EFFECIENT! Effeciency pays the bills!

I can do a $5,000 project in a day! Again...I can do the job posted here and net out 3 grand and still do another job. You do the math!

Trust me...it is very profitable!

Also I use the tractors for many other jobs then just seeding! I core over 40 acres every fall in residential and athletic fields and do quite a bit of dirt work.

SeedPro
04-26-2010, 06:56 AM
Yep...and you may do a couple acres a year if that, and I can do 12+ acre job in 2 days!

Your compairson is like comparing pulling a hose vs a ride on!

It cost more to have a ride vs pulling a hose also...but you can get much more done in a day and you are MORE EFFECIENT! Effeciency pays the bills!

I can do a $5,000 project in a day! Again...I can do the job posted here and net out 3 grand and still do another job. You do the math!

Trust me...it is very profitable!

Also I use the tractors for many other jobs then just seeding! I core over 40 acres every fall in residential and athletic fields and do quite a bit of dirt work.

I don't think you should give the job away cheap just because you have expensive efficient equipment. Just the opposite actually. I can make a profit doing 3000 sq foot ferts for 15 dollars too but that's not what the market will bare.

I also said my prices are high on seeding. I know that, but I believe your price is too low. It would cost them 25 grand to sod 3 acres I think. Maybe more.

I think your time, equipment and service is worth more. You should too.

I know with my limited equipment my prices get out of the ballpark on large properties. Aeration is the same way.....but don't give it away just because you have the equipment to handle the big jobs.

SeedPro
04-26-2010, 07:01 AM
I think I'm just gonna run leads and do a few service calls here today. Still raining for a few more hours and it's wet as hell and going to be very windy today.

rcreech
04-26-2010, 08:02 AM
What you will learn is that the Walmart philosophy really does work in some ways. I don't work cheap...but I do work on profit and volume. I would much rather work on 1-2 acre lawns then 5-10K lawns. You can make more per K on small lawns...but I can net more per day which pays my bills!

I can go into and acre and get done in half the time as a 6K lawn. Larger lawns are much easier. I don't base my prices on anything but what I want to make and what the market can bare.

If you came in and charged the same price per K for a 3 K lawn as a 300 K lawn you would never get any work.

Again, it comes down to having the right equipment and being effecient!

The Team Mates is an awesome product. Been using it for over 5 years and it is a beautiful product!

SeedPro
04-26-2010, 10:36 AM
My price on Team Mates Plus is 1 dollar a pound, but that's in fifty pound quantities. Plus is also a bit more expensive than straight Team Mates without blue and rye. I like to use a little rye in my blends. Keeps people into it if they see some early germination and provides some erosion control.

I see you bought 1000 pounds.

I generally go through a couple thousand pounds of seed per year but have to use special blends to match up with existing so I use Premium Athletic, Great Lakes Premium, Quality 100% Blue, Shade Mix, and Perennial Rye.

I'm going to experiment with team mates when the appropriate application arises.

rcreech
04-26-2010, 04:58 PM
My price on Team Mates Plus is 1 dollar a pound, but that's in fifty pound quantities. Plus is also a bit more expensive than straight Team Mates without blue and rye. I like to use a little rye in my blends. Keeps people into it if they see some early germination and provides some erosion control.

I see you bought 1000 pounds.

I generally go through a couple thousand pounds of seed per year but have to use special blends to match up with existing so I use Premium Athletic, Great Lakes Premium, Quality 100% Blue, Shade Mix, and Perennial Rye.

I'm going to experiment with team mates when the appropriate application arises.

I had a pick up truck that day that so I only got what I could haul.

I usually go through around 12,000 lbs a year plus or minus how busy we are.

I usually seed anywhere from 29-40 acres a year...but it just depends as last year it rained all season so my seedings were down some. Overall seeding sales were about the same due to some very nice projects but acreage was down quite a bit!

Now starting off this spring I am way ahead! Who knows!

I don't try and match lawns as much any more. If I am overseeding I will even use 100% TTTF as I want to try and "update" lawns to be more drought/disease tolerant.

Marcos
04-26-2010, 05:52 PM
2.8 acres that has finish grade. Needs to be run over with rock hound or something similar. Wide open area and will be seeded and strawed. What do you charge for a larger job like this.

The bid could vary somewhat depending upon whether or not beneficial endomycorrhizae spores are sprayed into the prepped seed bed.
Otherwise, that sounds like one that could be done for around $4.5- $5 K.

rcreech
04-26-2010, 09:05 PM
The bid could vary somewhat depending upon whether or not beneficial endomycorrhizae spores are sprayed into the prepped seed bed.
Otherwise, that sounds like one that could be done for around $4.5- $5 K.

Glad to hear our price is about the same considering we are only 50 miles apart!

Marcos
04-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Glad to hear our price is about the same considering we are only 50 miles apart!

Don't sweat it.
I don't generally bid much of anything north of the Butler / Warren co line.
In my opinion parts of Lebanon, Springboro & s.Centerville are about the only worthwhile places to live up there.
Stick a fork in it: Dayton OH is d-e-a-d

rcreech
04-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Don't sweat it.
I don't generally bid much of anything north of the Butler / Warren co line.
In my opinion parts of Lebanon, Springboro & s.Centerville are about the only worthwhile places to live up there.
Stick a fork in it: Dayton OH is d-e-a-d

I dont' know...I am doing a lot of work in Miamisburg, Kettering, Centerville, Dayton etc and doing well. I am sure it isn't as good as it used to be...but still pretty darn good. Just have to find the hot spots where the money is.

I subcontract for a large landscaper in the Dayton area and he is keeping me swamped with new work...but probably the chepest home they take care of is 300k. :)

rcreech
04-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Seedpro,

Here is how I get in and out of large acres so quick.

Yeah it takes a commitment and investment...but after you have it a while, you find out not many can do what you do and have a great market. I do a lot of seeding and not only enjoy it, but make some great money!

I also have a 72" Harley that I use to prep before the seeders. It works awesome!

Just wanted to show you my lineup since you acted like I went out and threw seed on the ground by hand and insinuated that I seed like a "mower"...whatever that means! :)

rcreech
04-29-2010, 10:29 PM
Seedpro,

No comments?

I guess I should have posted pics of my equipment long before and maybe you wouldn't have made those stupid comments like I didn't know what I was doing. :)

SeedPro
04-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Seedpro,

No comments?

I guess I should have posted pics of my equipment long before and maybe you wouldn't have made those stupid comments like I didn't know what I was doing. :)

Just saw the pics and I never said you don't know what you're doing. I said you give it away and leave some on the table and I stand by those comments.

Having efficient equipment shouldn't cost you as much earnings as it does, but I am also the most expensive company in town and proud of it and all my equipment including the truck and trailer are paid for.

I'd rather do one job for the right price than two for less per job.

Nice equipment Rodney.

Kiss my ass.

:walking:

rcreech
04-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Thank you!

My equipment isn't all paid for...but that is only because JD had 0% interest for 3 years.

I think I will be making my last payment next spring! Then it will be time to trade the orange one in for a green one and start a hew 0% loan. :)

rcreech
05-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Here is what I show up with at seeding jobs.

Talked about it earlier in this thread...but first time I have had it loaded due to all the rain.

Also take the box truck with the Z Spray to spread starter and seed, 20" Lesco Renovator and Lawn Boss for between the sidewalks etc.

It all fits on the trailer, but when we need 3 buys we just take two trucks so it isn't so packed!

SeedPro
05-07-2010, 04:08 PM
:(

I have seed equipment envy now.

Nice setup Rodney.

Im taking my lesco renovator and going home.

:(

rcreech
05-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Now, now!

As I stated before it just takes some commitment and investment, but I can promise it pays off.

With equipment like this you can just get so much done in a little time...and with small seeding windows that is important.

We started at 8 am and pulled back in tonight at 4 pm.

Did a total renovation (level and seed) on a 13 K, drove about 16 miles and did fixed a lawn from new water lines which was about 4 K (level, removed tons of rock and seeded) and then drove about 7 miles and leveled and seeded a 5.5K lawn.

If I didn't have this kind of equipment...it would have taken me all day or more to just do the 13K lawn.

Punton3rdDown
05-09-2010, 10:56 AM
rcreech your equipment is way better than seedpro. I pick you.

GrassStitcher
10-11-2010, 09:45 AM
FYI - You can buy your Grass Stitcher at any John Deere Landscape service center, if you don't see them in the store ask them to order some.

tobylou8
10-14-2010, 10:08 AM
FYI - You can buy your Grass Stitcher at any John Deere Landscape service center, if you don't see them in the store ask them to order some.

DUDE, do you think he can do that much acreage with you "cultivator". Your spam msgs are getting annoying.

GrassStitcher
10-14-2010, 11:59 AM
DUDE, do you think he can do that much acreage with you "cultivator". Your spam msgs are getting annoying.

The Grass Stitcher is used on small areas, thanks for the insightful rants?? Its not a cultivator, the garden weasel is.

FYI - I think that John Deere Landscapes carrying the Grass Stitcher is newsworthy.

stressed
12-20-2010, 06:27 PM
LOllollollollololololololloll....jesusn are u lookin to retire on this job...you must be new