PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love those mulch jobs!

MikeKle
04-25-2010, 10:26 AM
I love doing mulch jobs, I can get it fairly cheap and it doesnt take long to lay at all. Most of my properties that I do mulch for I try to do it from the truck instead of the trailer, so I can pull the truck right up to the spot and just shovel it out, no wheelbarrows! Lucky for me, the way my properties are laid out, I can do this without leaving any ruts or tracks. I did a 2 yard job last week, took me about an hour to lay it all. The lady asked me what she owed me, I told her since it went quick and I didnt have to use any wheelbarrows, it would be $130, which got me $84 profit, she thought that was too low and gave me $200. so it worked out better than I thought! I dont think most people know how cheap regular bark mulch is?

PerfectEarth
04-25-2010, 10:29 AM
You might wanna look up the definition of "profit" there, Donald Trump....

MikeKle
04-25-2010, 10:44 AM
$46. for 2 yards of mulch, original charge of $130. = $84.
but since she paid me $200. it ended up being $154. in profit.

topsites
04-25-2010, 10:48 AM

Your truck and trailer costs a good $1 a mile while loaded with the stuff,
keep in mind there is nothing else doing in that time because you have to
reserve the entire outfit just for that.

So the clock's ticking from the time you leave your house...

And I'm not sure exactly how you do things, but I can tell you that heavy loads (like of mulch)
are the number ONE reason why the tires on my trailer wear, they last about 3 years and
cost $100 each to replace...
Cheaper tires hardly last the season, why I buy the expensive ones.

Oh, and then, yes I'm on a roll, sucks...
If you are truly making so much profit?
That's not necessarily a good sign either.

Sorry, not to spoil the party but greed is a bad thing, too.
I guess seeing how the lady paid you extra this isn't the case thou...
Slow down a little, what I'm trying to say.

Anyhow, hope it all works out for you.

PerfectEarth
04-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Ah right. I assume then you have no other operating costs or overhead.

Truck maintenance
Salary (to cover ALL personal expenses)
Insurance and worker's comp
Equipment maintenance, tools
Fuel
Phone, office expense, etc
Retirement
TAXES
Advertising
Labor
Fees, licensing, certificates
Uniforms, safety equipment
.....shall I go on?

Learn what "profit" means.

stephen424
04-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Yo, he made $84 profit. Quit hating on him. If he wants to break it down like that then so be it.
If we worked in the corporate world and made $60k a year...we'd say we made $60k a year if someone asked. We wouldn't say "well, I gross 60k but after taxes, gas, daycare, mortgage, water bill, light bill, clothing, etc...I make $30k"
We'd just say we make 60k
So sthu
Posted via Mobile Device

tjlco
04-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Ah right. I assume then you have no other operating costs or overhead.

Truck maintenance
Salary (to cover ALL personal expenses)
Insurance and worker's comp
Equipment maintenance, tools
Fuel
Phone, office expense, etc
Retirement
TAXES
Advertising
Labor
Fees, licensing, certificates
Uniforms, safety equipment
.....shall I go on?

Learn what "profit" means.

Now why would you go and ruin his parade....ughhhh sometimes I wish had none of that crap....we should start a topic...why to do things the wrong way:laugh: I mean I lke the way my bank account looks before all that....I'm just sayin....stupid expenses....lol

PerfectEarth
04-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Another accounting wizard... thanks Stephen, for the insightful words and absolutely irrelevant comparison.

Running a business is about as different as you can get from going into the office everyday from 9-5 an getting paid on Friday. You don't "profit" from a salary. Stating a salary number is different than stating a profit number on a job, for a quarter, or for a year.

It has nothing to do with "hating on him".... he might realize that after a few of these jobs, his awesome "profits" have been eaten up by, for example as Topsites said, the need to buy new tires- or put fuel in his truck. This gross profit thing is the most misunderstood thing out there with some guys- it's short-sightedness.

By Us Company
04-25-2010, 11:19 AM
I don't even think $46 dollars would cover one hour of labor and material costs. That's not including all other overhead costs. Are you paying yourself? For 2 Yards installed I would have been at around $175 to $180.

sdk1959
04-25-2010, 11:27 AM

I know you meant "gross profit" and not "net profit" after all your other expenses are deducted which can be low if your a solo operator thus still leaving you with a very nice "net profit".:cool2:

If you just say profit, most on this forum most will assume you mean "net profit" and will run you through a litany of all your other expenses to deduct. In future posts make sure you state which or you will get a earful.

I think it was a nice job profit wise, time wise and effort wise. It was a gravy job you don't get too often in the business and it was good of you to share it on this forum.

They say misery loves company, well I like to hear more upbeat good news too, it's encouraging.:)

MikeKle
04-25-2010, 11:35 AM
I understand what you all are saying about gross and net profit. This job was only about 2-3 miles from the nursery where I buy the mulch, so, its very close, and I try to schedule all the mulch jobs for one day, so I dont loose much mowing time, but with all the rain days lately, that is out the window anyway! I had hoped to get out mowing today, as it was bright and sunny when I got up, but within an hour, it is dark and there is rain moving in again for today!

By Us Company
04-25-2010, 11:36 AM
How much do you pay for mulch?

clean_cut
04-25-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm glad you feel you're successful in the biz, show us some pictures :)

Frue
04-25-2010, 01:52 PM

My man! What about delivery? I bet there was at least a hour for that so now you are at 2 hours...... What about prep time of the beds? Not harpping but you really need to check how much profit you really got there.

CTmower
04-25-2010, 03:19 PM
I just finished a mulch job i quoted at 6 yards for $600. Did all my measuring and it came out to 5.23456444 yards. Edge the property which took a good 4 hours then another 3 hours to lay the mulch. Hemlock mulch cost me $30/yd for a total of $180. After my costs I technically made $420 or $60 per hour. Its a little under the $80 per hour I try and make but I cant really charge more then $100 per yd for mulch jobs. After you add in insurance and gas its drops slightly but just figured I'd give you an example.

Tharrell
04-25-2010, 03:50 PM
I don't care for mulch as a ground cover or mulching as a job.
Sorta like shoveling snow in the hot sun to me.
Glad you like it though.
Pine needles are better for me. Twice a year and easier to handle.

Puddle of Oil
04-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Yo, he made $84 profit. Quit hating on him. If he wants to break it down like that then so be it.
If we worked in the corporate world and made $60k a year...we'd say we made $60k a year if someone asked. We wouldn't say "well, I gross 60k but after taxes, gas, daycare, mortgage, water bill, light bill, clothing, etc...I make $30k"
We'd just say we make 60k
So sthu
Posted via Mobile Device

:laugh::laugh::laugh::clapping::clapping: