PDA

View Full Version : Changing FasTrak blades

Old Pa
07-02-2002, 12:54 PM
Got a couple of sets of Gator mulch blades, have the FasTrak 44/18 up on ramps and chocked, 1/2" breaker handle and 2 foot pipe handle with a 15/16" socket, veins standing out on neck and sweat pouring down. Manual says "use a 15/16" wrench to remove 5/8" cap screw holding the blade on the spindle shaft from underneath". Who wrote this? A 5/8th capscrew at 118 footpounds in close quarters does not simply remove with an ordinary 15/16ths wrench. I've only got two questions:

1. This cap screw isn't reverse threaded, is it? Doesn't look that way from the orientation of the cutting edges.

2. How do the folks who do this all the time hold the blade and break loose the capscrew? Airwrench? The torque is obviously necessary, but there must be some technique I'm presently unaware of. :dizzy:

Thanks

Old Pa
07-02-2002, 08:16 PM
No, the blade capscrew was not reverse thread, and THE way to remove and replace is with a heavy duty air impact wrench. My new one is on the way, but the one I borrowed, a high-end Mac, banged that screw loose easily and without blade movement. Gator blades are "ready for feeding". Sure am glad I got that compressor sixteen years ago . . .

:drinkup:

Doc Pete
07-03-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Old Pa

2. How do the folks who do this all the time hold the blade and break loose the capscrew? Airwrench? The torque is obviously necessary, but there must be some technique I'm presently unaware of. :dizzy:

Thanks

I bought a nice 1/2" breaker bar, which is almost 2 feet long. As far as the blade, I use a piece of 2x4 maple and just wedge it between the blade and the deck. I wouldn't think most homeowners have an airwrench.
Pete