PDA

View Full Version : Invoices and gratuity

mhaley927
04-25-2010, 10:43 AM
I'm just starting monthly invoicing for my lawn care service. I've always just collected as I went along. So now I'm putting together something decent looking on MS Excel that I'll leave after 3 cuts and expect payment (for 4 cuts) by the time I show up for the fourth cut. SOund alright?

Well the real question is that some of my cutomers (all residential) throw in a tip each week when they pay. Should I put gratuity percentages somewhat like they do in restaurunts right on the invoice? It would be something like this:

Price per cut: $250,000
Cuts:4

Last Month TOTAL: $1,000,000

Gratuity
10% is $100,000
15% is $150,000
20% is $200,000

Please call 111-2222 with any questions about your billing. Thanks your for chooising H&H, where if you dont tip, we talk bad about you in the truck! (omit last clause form real invoice).

Does this come across as "expecting gratuity? Will customers who already tip weekly tip monthly? Opinions are apreciated!

*I accidentally posted this in general and brought it here for more hits.

puppypaws
04-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Yes, I think you should provide this to all you care not to do business with!

flatlander42
04-25-2010, 11:08 AM
that is asking to pi$$ off customers if you ask me. I'd just let the ones that tip, to do just that.

topsites
04-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Yeah, leave it alone lol.

GravelyGuy
04-25-2010, 11:15 AM
I you have more than a handful of customers that tip, then consider yourself blessed.

flatlander42
04-25-2010, 11:16 AM
nice edit topsites! haha

mhaley927
04-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Ok.. call me greedy, but really the point is that I dont want to chase away tips by putting in place a more rigid payment structure. I'm not the big lawn outfit in my area, I'm the college kid down the street that does just as good for less money because he can, and yes, I'm blessed with generous customers and tips.

I guess I'll just leave it off the invoice and hope for coninued generosity.

topsites
04-25-2010, 11:27 AM
nice edit topsites! haha

LOL I don't even remember what all it was but I try to make it short and sweet,
those seem to work best, and yes I almost always edit, why Idk.

puppypaws
04-25-2010, 01:23 PM
A tip is a voluntary additional payment made for services rendered because of being extremely pleased with the work performed. This is not something you expect, much less ever mention in any way, shape, or form.

JB1
04-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Ok.. call me greedy, but really the point is that I dont want to chase away tips by putting in place a more rigid payment structure. I'm not the big lawn outfit in my area, I'm the college kid down the street that does just as good for less money because he can, and yes, I'm blessed with generous customers and tips.

I guess I'll just leave it off the invoice and hope for coninued generosity.

i don't think 10% is right, now days its more like 15 %, don't short change yourself.

Sammy
04-25-2010, 02:16 PM

What I read into this is that you charge way less than going rate, your customers know it and throw in some extra so you will keep the low ball price intact.

rjh4758
04-25-2010, 04:01 PM
When you go to a restaurant you know that if service was good you tip the waiter or waitress, it customary. Not so with other services because they figure you are making a fair wage and only if they think that your services far exceed what they paid for will they tip, as a general rule.

Here is an example. I just had a wrecker pull my dumb a$$ out of a customers yard this past week. The bill was $75 but I gave him a $20 because I have no clue how he was able to maneuver my truck through the gate without scratching up my truck or wiping out the fence ( less than inch clearance with the angle he had to pull the truck through the gate). He was good and he deserved it and I told him so. But this is some thing I am sure he rarely sees and I could tell by the look on his face when I handed it to him.

I would just leave the tip thing off, you will offend people if you do not. You should look at tips as a bonus and nothing more. If you need to rely on tips then you are not charging enough.

FourTrees
04-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Do what they do in restraunts.

Leave a line for the tip amount. Then total line.

If there are more than 6 people that reside in the home just add the 18% tip to the total bill and bill them accordingly no matter how crappy the service.

Just kidding.

flatlander42
04-25-2010, 04:12 PM
If you need to rely on tips then you are not charging enough.

That is how I feel when I go out to eat.

mhaley927
04-25-2010, 07:14 PM
What I read into this is that you charge way less than going rate, your customers know it and throw in some extra so you will keep the low ball price intact.

Lol its not pitty. I can afford to be cheaper and still make a decent hourly wage.

And I agree with all of the chatter about when tipping is apropriate, why, waitresses yada yada... Lets stay on topic:

Should I leave any mention at all of gratuity on an invoice... YES or NO?

(Thanks to all that have already answered and explained!)

circlelawn
04-25-2010, 07:26 PM
No, terrible idea

MyLawnConnect
05-24-2010, 10:30 PM
First month FREE, introducing a new web portal at http://www.MyLawnConnect.com

MyLawnConnect is a professional billing service for lawn care professionals. Our system allows you to easily track your customers, services, and completed jobs in real-time. Have a phone? then you can mark jobs completed by sending a text message. Our system takes care of the rest by creating your invoices. We send them out for on your behalf either paper or email. All you have to do is sit back and receive the payments. You can even accept credit card payments.

NO contract, NO setup fees.

Please contact us with any questions at 314-630-6982.