PDA

View Full Version : First mow with JD 830a

BCPHOTO
04-25-2010, 12:44 PM
JD 830A was delivered yesterday. 640 hrs on a 2008, 27 hp as Kawi, 72" 7Iron Pro deck. Condition was great -- little wear, just a some paint scrapes on the trim side of the deck.

Yard is 4 acres, lots of trees, orchard, flower beds etc. I let the grass grow and in some spots was 16 inches high. Mostly it averaged 8-10 inches.

I set the deck height at 4" and slowly waded and sank into the sea of grass and clover, the green washing over the front like waves over the bow of a destroyer. One pass was made and I looked back and the cut appeared to be more like 3 inches so I set the deck to 5" and mowed the rest.

After scalping one stump, tearing up some turf, grazing the steel trash can and nearly doing a back flip when the ROPS hit a tree limb (lifted the front about 3 ft.) I managed to mow the entire wet (raining here in Indiana) quagmire in 3 hours. The result was amazingly good. I won't be using the ROPS anymore though -- that thing will get you killed.

I used about 2 1/2 gallons of fuel. The ride was good -- not quite as good as my friend's 3000 Ferris, but close. Previously, my two Crapsman machines would literally throw me up so high on some bumps that the seat kill switch would activate.

The Crapsman's would leave a ragged mess of a cut -- ridges, grooves and stragglers and I wouldn't begin to be able to cut grass that tall. The Deere is flat and even -- distribution of clippings was even as well. The clippings of 16" grass appeared to be about 1 1/2' long.

The mower is fast and powerful -- bogging only a tiny bit in the tallest field type grass.

Negatives:

1. Went under a small pine tree limb and it hit the throttle lever, shutting it off, killing the engine. I think full throttle should be back and not forward.

2. Saw a few stragglers from the right side when cornering left -- that may be due to the wet and tall grass conditions. Next cut will tell a better story.

Overall very happy with the purchase.
BC
Hope, Indiana

BCPHOTO
04-25-2010, 02:44 PM
60" 7Iron Pro deck.

BC

Sammy
04-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Comparing a Sears Crapsman to a commercial mower is no comparison at all.

Good luck with your 830.