PDA

View Full Version : Double Blades

HarryD
07-02-2002, 03:00 PM
Ive seen in a few posts guys talking about double blades . does this mean you are putting 2 blades on per spindle and if so how well does it work ive never seen anyone do that around here

Scraper
07-02-2002, 03:43 PM
yep...do a search...you'll find more posts than you can shake a stick at!

Darryl G
07-03-2002, 12:01 AM
I just tried doubles for the first time today. I blew the motor in my only truck last week and couldn't mow one of my big bi-weekly accounts. I did all but one other account with my trim mower in my station wagon (feeling like a scrub). I normally have to double cut many areas and even triple cut some spots with 2 weeks growth, so I was not looking forward to cutting 3 weeks of growth. I doubled the only blades I have (notched high lifts) and only had to double cut one area. I was impressed how much better my mower (Exmark TTHP 48") handled the long stuff without having to slow down. I did have some trouble with leaving uncut grass near the discharge side, considerable front blow-out and a large dust cloud at times, but overall it worked very well. I plan to buy some lower lift blades soon and try them, because I'm sure I'm moving too much area with double notched blades.

awm
07-03-2002, 09:48 AM
blowout,is one drawback to doubles in drought conditions.
be careful u are not blowing the topsoil away ,in much the same manner as the duststorms of the early pt o the century.
i just use sharp bldes and rev dn.

Tony Harrell
07-05-2002, 06:31 AM
I experimented with doubles on a 5.5 B&S. It worked great and reduced my clippings around half. I think if the blades get really dull or bent is when a problem may arise. If you use sharp, balanced blades it will work great.

Bladewielder
07-06-2002, 12:26 AM
Running doubles means that you have two blades per spindle, mounted perpendicularly from one another (like the letter "X"). I think most guys leave a "normal" medium lift blade closest to the grass to do the actual mowing and then a Gator blade directly on top of that to do the mulching. There are many posts on them here. I too had never heard or thought of doing this before until I saw them talked about on this site. You will find that some controversy exists about the possible detrimental effects to a machine with repeated use due to the added mass attached to the spindles. To my knowledge Dixie Chopper is only manufacturer that at all encourages it. I think that they might be fine in really thick, neglected accounts where a high stress will be placed on the mower anyway. In a situation like this they actually may lessen the overall stress on the machine.

gravedigger5
07-06-2002, 12:35 AM
Helps my mower stripe better and a better cut at higher speeds.
Don't always work on all mowers, though. :blob3:

Are We Having Fun Yet???

yardboyltd
07-06-2002, 02:36 AM
I know gravely makes doubles kit for it's walkbehinds, but not its ZTR's... but isn't it funny how they left a blade thick washer inaddition to the saddle washer on the spindle bolt... worksout great, don't have to get extra long bolt, just take the washer off on it.... PS. Just maker sure you still have the locking saddle washer on it though.

indian
07-06-2002, 09:39 AM
can you put double blades on a 21" jd walk behind?