PDA

View Full Version : Best trimmer in $300-$450 price range?

lotsagrass
04-25-2010, 03:35 PM
I believe I'll have some side work coming up pretty soon and I'm wanting to replace this piece of crap consumer grade trimmer with a pro trimmer. I've used a Stihl FS80 in the past and it was great. I'd like to get something with even more power than that for my price range, if possible. I don't care if it's 2 stroke or 4 stroke but since I want the most power for the buck I guess we'll be talking about 2 stroke.

I want something with...
- Straight shaft, long enough so I don't have to bend down to use it! (I'm only 5'8")
- Lots of power
- Reliable
- Durable
- Comfortable shoulder strap

I've only used Stihl as far as pro grade trimmers go (don't have one right now though) so I'm not familiar with the other brands. Since Stihl is easy to buy where I am and has plenty of dealers for support, I lean towards Stihl, but I'm open to suggestions for other brands, as long as they are at least as durable and powerful as Stihl.

Thanks

eatonpcat
04-25-2010, 09:15 PM
I believe I'll have some side work coming up pretty soon and I'm wanting to replace this piece of crap consumer grade trimmer with a pro trimmer. I've used a Stihl FS80 in the past and it was great. I'd like to get something with even more power than that for my price range, if possible. I don't care if it's 2 stroke or 4 stroke but since I want the most power for the buck I guess we'll be talking about 2 stroke.

I want something with...
- Straight shaft, long enough so I don't have to bend down to use it! (I'm only 5'8")
- Lots of power
- Reliable
- Durable
- Comfortable shoulder strap

I've only used Stihl as far as pro grade trimmers go (don't have one right now though) so I'm not familiar with the other brands. Since Stihl is easy to buy where I am and has plenty of dealers for support, I lean towards Stihl, but I'm open to suggestions for other brands, as long as they are at least as durable and powerful as Stihl.

Thanks

Sounds like you can't lose if you're willing to spend that much dough!!

ajslands
04-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Echo, redmax, or shindaw (or however you sell it) if you're looking to spend 450$, buy the shindaw,
Posted via Mobile Device

fastcat
04-25-2010, 10:41 PM
stihl fs 130 i love mine and its not to heavy tons of power.

lotsagrass
04-26-2010, 07:13 AM
Hopefully I won't have to pay anywhere near the high end of my budget. I'd much rather have more money leftover to buy a few other things I need. It's hard to find pricing for Stihl products on the web. I know they only sell them at local dealers, but even simple pricing is hard to find online.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go check a few local dealers to see what they offer and what the pricing is. Some of the Echos I've seen look pretty nice, but I guess I need to see more of a selection. I've only seen the ones they sell in the big stores.

mrealty
04-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Hopefully I won't have to pay anywhere near the high end of my budget. I'd much rather have more money leftover to buy a few other things I need. It's hard to find pricing for Stihl products on the web. I know they only sell them at local dealers, but even simple pricing is hard to find online.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go check a few local dealers to see what they offer and what the pricing is. Some of the Echos I've seen look pretty nice, but I guess I need to see more of a selection. I've only seen the ones they sell in the big stores.

Go here:

http://www.stihldealer.net/locator/

and type in whatever city you want to compare pricing. The dealer with pricing on the web (there are many) will have a dollar sign out in the right column. Click on the dollar sign and it will take you to the dealer web site where you will find the pricing.

I've heard the South East has cheap pricing on Stihl. You could check the dealers in Augusta for the low end of the pricing scale.

Concerning the trimmer, I just bought a Stihl FS 110R and it's awesome. I can take down small trees with that baby (with a blade attachment). Although, the only thing I have to compare it to is a cheap residential Lowe's trimmer. So, anything's a step up from that.

Hope that helps.

Regards.

shotgunshane
04-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Check out Tanaka. They make really light weight, well balanced solid shaft trimmers. 7 yr residential warranty. You can price them on Amazon before seeing a dealer.
Posted via Mobile Device

WH401
04-28-2010, 09:13 AM
The Stihl FS-90 starts at about 300, and the FS-130 runs up to around 4 I believe. Any of the trimmer models in between those two would be excellent choices. The only one I would hesitate on would be the FS-100RX, since it has a hollow shaft and a lighter duty gear box. The idea is it's supposed to be a dedicated line trimmer and your unable to run attachments on it. So it all depends on your use. I have the FS-90 and love it.

BINKY1902
04-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Echo srm-230. $280. I have used mine commercially for three years no problems. Like it better than my $450 Stihl 110 for sure.

Ted Bell
04-28-2010, 11:51 PM
I use a Stihl FS 130 about once a month on a rural piece of property where the weeds and grass are thick. It has plenty of power, a shoulder strap and I have had no problems.

MDTRD
04-30-2010, 01:17 AM
I personally like ECHO. I haven't seen too many non-ECHOs out in the field.
http://shop.echo-usa.com/Product/ProductCategory.aspx?Category=trimmer

lotsagrass
04-30-2010, 06:20 AM
I personally like ECHO. I haven't seen too many non-ECHOs out in the field.
http://shop.echo-usa.com/Product/ProductCategory.aspx?Category=trimmer

the SRM280 looks nice and the 5 year warranty is very nice indeed. One thing I don't see is t he handlebar grip like the Stihl has. If it can be added, it looks like that would make the Echo more expensive than say a Stihl FS110 which has the handlebar grip and a slightly bigger 31cc engine (Echo is 28cc).

topsites
04-30-2010, 09:50 PM
If you want the most power for the dollar,
Nothing beats the Stihl FS-100rx

Not even the 130.

And it's not a trimmer, it falls under the class of brush cutters, of course a lot of us use them as trimmers.
Buy it, fall in love with it, divorce your wife and marry your trimmer, with the FS-100rx all that is a foregone conclusion.

dcgreenspro
04-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Redmax.
Anything redmax...anything. I have had both a trimmer and back pack for 6 years. Never a problem and I work these things to death. Both start on the second pull EVERY time! Never a doubt

lotsagrass
05-06-2010, 08:23 PM
I had a suspension seat on order for my mower but it's been on back-order for a few weeks and now they say a few weeks more, so I cancelled my order for that and used the money to go buy a Stihl FS110 with the handlebars. I love this thing. Lots of torque and it plows through the weeds/grass like nothing :) I love how the head doesn't let the grass wrap around it. It just flies right off. This will last me for many years. It's nice and quiet too. I noticed on the new ones, they don't even put the 4-mix label on the trimmer anywhere. Maybe people were confusing things and not mixing the gas. Who knows. It does mention it in the book though.

lotsagrass
05-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Figured I'd take a few photos of it while it's still relatively clean :) It still has the new engine smell too. Price was $379 before taxes.

http://www.openbloom.com/photos/859178463_mcHQR-L.jpg
http://www.openbloom.com/photos/859177978_gdG9p-L.jpg
http://www.openbloom.com/photos/859178174_gMKZG-L.jpg
http://www.openbloom.com/photos/859178286_CyeGk-L.jpg
http://www.openbloom.com/photos/859178345_2r5TN-L.jpg

fastcat
05-06-2010, 11:22 PM
why would you want handle bars on a trimmer. that will get annoying

nepatsfan
05-06-2010, 11:27 PM

I agree. That thing is probably a beast for brush cutting but if you are using it for lawn maintenance.....I dont know. How do you flip it up side down. Seems like it would be cumbersome to trim a yard.

lotsagrass
05-07-2010, 06:18 AM
I used an in-law's FS80 in the past with the handlebars and I thought it was comfortable. I have a lot of trimming to do...a ditch-line and so on. Around the flower beds I just tilt it a little to the right and get an angle on it. I've had several trimmers without the handlebars and I've tried turning them upside down or holding them straight up and using them to trim the bedline, but to me that's uncomfortable and I'm not very good at it. I realize you guys probably need to get in and out quick when you do your jobs and you probably put the trimmer in a lot of different positions than I would....but to me the shoulder strap and handlebars is very comfortable for an hour straight of trimming. Ultimately what matters to me is just basic trimming. I tend to also run the string into the ground along the bed lines and trees (just an inch or two) so I can remove all the grass/weeds and extend the time before I have to come back and trim again.

eatonpcat
05-07-2010, 12:42 PM

You can pretend your a fighter pilot!!

This is why you have an option, Some people like the handle bars I assume!!