PDA

View Full Version : Customer wants grass cut 3 times within a week?

STL Cuts
04-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Just got a call from a friend of mine asking me if I could mow their place while they are out of town. I say not a problem and ask the dates.

They want it cut the 5th of May, the 8th or 9th, and then the 12th as well. They also want it cut very high. No bagging.

I repeated the dates multiple times to verify I had heard right and I had. I've never ran into somebody that wanted it cut this often.

They do keep a very nicely manicured lawn, I just never noticed it being cut this often.

Anyone else ever run into this? I'm not complaining, just wondering.

MrRob
04-25-2010, 05:47 PM
i will cut it everyday of they would like to pay me!

RandallM
04-25-2010, 05:54 PM
I just had the opposite thing happen. Client wanted me to move to a 3 week schedule instead of bi-weekly. I told him the price just went up $20, and that doesn't include bagging.

rjh4758
04-25-2010, 06:00 PM
What the customer want the customer gets. Some people are real particular about their lawns.

A neighbor of my parents sits in his lawn and digs the weeds out every spring because he does not believe in herbicides. Must say he has a very nice yard too.

shooterm
04-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Its not out of the norm. Growing up I had to do this at the home I grew up in. Mow high, three times a week, at different angles everytime. Looked amazing and dont remeber ever having weed issues or even running alot of fertilizer. It excessive and more akin to a disorder then a lawn pratice.:)

Southern Elegance
04-25-2010, 06:31 PM
we mow many of our properties 2x per week,but 3?

Hoy landscaping
04-25-2010, 06:56 PM
i would love that!

davis45
04-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Never done any 3 times a week. But I would if someone asked. We do however have a few that we do every Tuesday and Friday.

dwost
04-25-2010, 08:18 PM
I cut mine every other day. During the heavy growing season it's a must with irrigation. If I go more than 3 days I'm cutting 3-4" of new growth off the top and it's a mess. If they are paying you why worry?

cozymonkey
04-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Thats funny I actually wondered about this. I saw a neighbor on a street that I have 4 clients on. I have been to their street four times in the last week and a half and everytime I have been there, the neighbor has been mowing his lawn. Their yard is by far the greenest thus far this year and I actually had a client of mine just joking with me ask me why their lawn didnt look that green. I simply told them that it could if they wanted me to come by and mow three times a week.

grassman177
04-25-2010, 08:46 PM
i have several i do twice a week, but they are fanatics (my kinda people) but most wont consider paying for this service, three times a week actually would be hard as i change my mower loads daily depending on the route and may not always have the right machine which in turn would cause lost time to get the mower that day just for one lawn etc, you can see how crazy it could be !

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
04-25-2010, 08:51 PM
i would love to have multiple yards like this

STIHL GUY
04-25-2010, 09:01 PM
i would love to cut that often

g21
04-25-2010, 09:08 PM
It really shouldn't matter. Do it daily if they want! Remember, you are in the business of selling manhours. Sell as many of them as you can! If you are using production ratios for pricing out your work, you may want to make an adjustment for this type of service, You will be mowing more quickly than usual as well as all of your other tasks. So you want to make sure your pricing is adequate. Also, to help remain competitive, you may want to suggest edging every other visit. This way you are only really charging them for a quick mow and blow on the in-between visits.

David Perez
04-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Hello everyone. I have a Business Office and they need to cut their lawn, trim the excess with the machine and do a weekly maintenance. Grass is very high, and have to prepare the ground and plant some flowers. how much will be charged for this first time and how much will it be weekly .The total of the area is 7,100 sq. ft. Thanks

Sammy
04-25-2010, 09:59 PM
I had one like that. Guy went on vacation for 12 days.
Wanted it cut every 3rd day. No Problem ! ..... $45 a pop !

lawnproslawncare
04-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Hey, they might be that customer who is doing random check of your work and could lead to a new full time gig for your biz.

I mow 6 properties 4 times per week...well sections of it (the putting greens)

lawnproslawncare
04-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Oh yeah. If he says mow it high, he probably is talking in the 4-4.5 inch range. Not saying your dumb but some companies in my area say 3 inches is "mowing high"

STL Cuts
04-26-2010, 01:10 AM
Hello everyone. I have a Business Office and they need to cut their lawn, trim the excess with the machine and do a weekly maintenance. Grass is very high, and have to prepare the ground and plant some flowers. how much will be charged for this first time and how much will it be weekly .The total of the area is 7,100 sq. ft. Thanks

??? Hijacking my thread? lol

[QUOTE=lawnproslawncare;3537940]Hey, they might be that customer who is doing random check of your work and could lead to a new full time gig for your biz.

Well, I doubt it is that as I grew up with their son playing basketball, and I know they enjoy taking care of their yard. Doesn't hurt to be that dependable service for when they're out of town though.

Cloud9Landscapes
04-26-2010, 03:46 AM
That's really common for really well manicured hybrid Bermuda lawns, most being mowed with a reel mower. For other types of grass, like fescue and zoysia it's crazy. Most golf courses will mow their greens daily at 3/16 of an inch with a 10 or more blade greens mower.

Hell on Blades
04-26-2010, 03:53 AM
Why complain?? mow it and collect!

Merkava_4
04-26-2010, 06:37 AM
The no bagging part is what I find the strangest.

cgaengineer
04-26-2010, 07:14 AM
And here I was thinking it was going to be a reel mowed property.

lawnkingforever
04-26-2010, 11:16 AM
I have sold a few accounts on twice a week service. It is usually Tues.-Fri. or Mon.- Thurs and just through early June or when the growth slows. It makes their yard look nicer, it is easier for me to maintain the yard, and most importantly it increases my bankroll. I will offer a small discount for the extra mowing, meaning that no edging will be done or weed trimming on the extra service day. Just mow, blow and go. Of course I will give them the normal service for the extra mowing with no discount if they prefer.

cgaengineer
04-26-2010, 11:17 AM

About $15 per cut maximum.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tinkerer
04-26-2010, 02:15 PM
I had one customer who wanted the grass short and mowed every 5 days no matter what. At that time I didn't work on saturdays and it bothered them that if a mowing landed on saturday that I would do it on sunday. I need a day off, cry me a river.

rosarioslawncutters
04-27-2010, 02:12 AM
i wish all my customers wanted 3 times a week....this means i can make the same amount of money with only 1/3 of the client i have now....

lifetree
04-27-2010, 10:48 PM
... three times a week actually would be hard as i change my mower loads daily depending on the route and may not always have the right machine which in turn would cause lost time to get the mower that day just for one lawn ...

This is why I don't think I would accept a job for 3 times a week !!

ajeaajea
04-27-2010, 11:13 PM
I just had the opposite thing happen. Client wanted me to move to a 3 week schedule instead of bi-weekly. I told him the price just went up $20, and that doesn't include bagging.

I agree, don't let him get off easy. You gotta make money somehow:nono:

topsites
04-27-2010, 11:15 PM
I have ONE I cut every week.
Their irrigation is set to 3 days a week at 120%...

It is fertilized heavy every 3 weeks, so heavy that despite almost constant irrigation sometimes I catch a burn spot (or three).

It's not the way I normally do things.
And I keep a CLOSE eye on it!

So I would ask him if this is his first time in charge of a nice lawn, most of mine are on 14 days cut at 4".
Because there's a fine chance it will ruin it, too.

On another note maybe he was thinking irrigation 3 days a week?
I'd definitely check this out deeper, something doesn't sound right.

RandallM
04-27-2010, 11:17 PM
I agree, don't let him get off easy. You gotta make money somehow:nono:

The customer emailed me today and said, "we'll stay with the two week schedule." Sometimes, ya just got to stand your ground.

ajeaajea
04-27-2010, 11:24 PM
I hate when customers try to get over on me...

93Chevy
04-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Man, I'd love to have to cut some properties every 3 days or so. I cut once a week and double cut to burn the stripes in, but if I cut every 3-4 days, I wouldn't have to double cut.

Darryl G
04-27-2010, 11:30 PM
I have a neighbor who uses a shop vac on his whole lawn. He sits on it and vacuums the whole lawn. Not kidding.