PDA

View Full Version : Double blades

mowingbtyard
04-25-2010, 06:09 PM
I have read alot about running dual blades. Can anyone give me pros and cons? I have a couple of exmark walkbehinds and would like to try duals but don't know how to install them or what kind of blades. Also what about safety? When installing do I leave out one of the washers on the blade assembly or what? Any help is appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device

dwost
04-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Not trying to be a PITA but, please use the search feature.

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=4919436

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=4919443

lifetree
05-11-2010, 08:53 PM
I know there's been alot of threads about double blades, however, I'd like to ask a specific question ... is there an after market part that can be purchased to act as a spacer between the 2 blades on a spindle ?? Something similar to the Dixie Chopper X-Blade attachment.

ajslands
05-11-2010, 10:45 PM
I know there's been alot of threads about double blades, however, I'd like to ask a specific question ... is there an after market part that can be purchased to act as a spacer between the 2 blades on a spindle ?? Something similar to the Dixie Chopper X-Blade attachment.

A few washers should do the trick!
Posted via Mobile Device

dwost
05-12-2010, 12:19 AM

Why?.........

Sammy
05-12-2010, 12:24 AM
I was wondering the same thing, why put a spacer on ?

dwost
05-12-2010, 12:27 AM
exactly..............there is no need.............cross em up and let em rip :)

lifetree
05-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Why ?.........

Simply out of concern that if I were to hit something without having anything to hold the 2 blades in place ... they could possibly come out of alignment causing the blades to do some damage under the deck, or, to the spindle !!

I was wondering the same thing, why put a spacer on ?

Concerning the spacer, maybe that's the wrong term to use ... but something to hold the blades in place at the 90 degree angle while they're on the spindle in case you hit something.

dwost
05-12-2010, 11:03 PM
You can tack weld them if you are concerned. I've run them for years without any issue to the blades or spindles. I've even bottomed out one of the blades causing them to rotate and the only damage was to the blade edge that a quick sharpening fixed. I wouldn't worry about it.

THEGOLDPRO
05-12-2010, 11:05 PM
is their any real need for duals tho?? whats the advantage?

ajslands
05-12-2010, 11:12 PM
is their any real need for duals tho?? whats the advantage?

Theirs none! Just cons!

If you hit a rock couldent the blades just come together and wouldent do anything? Also it would be tougher on your mower
Posted via Mobile Device

dwost
05-12-2010, 11:12 PM
With my setup it makes a difference in cut quality, disbursement, and how much it breaks down the grass in one pass. This is especially true when cutting thick, high wet grass. It blows right through it. It also creates additional vacuum under the deck which aids in bagging. You really need to experiment and find a setup that works for your needs and machine. Different blade combo's can make a huge difference. Some help others hurt performance.

STIHL GUY
05-12-2010, 11:51 PM
it seems like youd need a real powerful motor to sucessfully run double blades

lawnboy dan
05-13-2010, 06:53 AM
the only advantage is you wear out spindles and clutchs twice as fast

Sammy
05-13-2010, 07:59 AM
I have been running doubles on a 16 h.p., 48" mower for 9 years.
Just replaced the clutch last year.
I use a high lift on top, regular lift on bottom.

Pros: Cleaner cut, fine clippings, lots of vacuum and great discharging.
Cons: You pick up almost anything in the lawn.

ajslands
05-13-2010, 08:04 AM
the only advantage is you wear out spindles and clutchs twice as fast

Lmao :laugh: :laughing:
Posted via Mobile Device

whosedog
05-13-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm going to ask my dealer before I try doubles,don't want to wear out clutch or spindles prematurely.If he okays it I'll try it,it sounds like it might work.If it saves me time of running back over clippings to disperse/mulch them,hey time is money.So you take out a lower blade spacer to compensate for the extra blade,cross blades in an X and tighten the same as a single blade?

dwost
05-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Do a search, this has been discussed and beat to death. You will find points and counterpoints to running doubles. Do what makes you comfortable. I've been running them for years without an issue. To each their own.

lifetree
05-13-2010, 11:32 PM
... Do what makes you comfortable. I've been running them for years without an issue. ...

Apparently you run doubles on your Bad Boy ... do you run them on anything else ??

lifetree
05-13-2010, 11:36 PM
I have been running doubles on a 16 h.p., 48" mower for 9 years. Just replaced the clutch last year. I use a high lift on top, regular lift on bottom. ...

That's good to know, you just replaced the clutch after runnig doubles for 9 years !!

Concerning the blades to use that's also interesting ... many people on LS that have commented about that have said that they run gators on top and high lift on bottom ... that's the combination I'm thinking about using ... do the high lift on top and regular on bottom give a better vacuum than gator blades would give ??

Sammy
05-14-2010, 12:08 AM
When I use the high lift on the bottom, they wear out 3 times faster than when they are on top.

Sammy
05-14-2010, 12:10 AM
I'm going to ask my dealer before I try doubles,don't want to wear out clutch or spindles prematurely.If he okays it I'll try it,it sounds like it might work.If it saves me time of running back over clippings to disperse/mulch them,hey time is money.So you take out a lower blade spacer to compensate for the extra blade,cross blades in an X and tighten the same as a single blade?

What model mower you running ?

AOD
05-14-2010, 12:23 AM
I bet doubles mulch the crap out of leaves nicely. I might try it just in the fall.

dwost
05-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Apparently you run doubles on your Bad Boy ... do you run them on anything else ??

I don't have it anymore but I also ran them on my Gravely WB. It was a 48" w/15hp Kawi and it handled it no problem. Again, I achieved great results with a double setup. I ran the eXmark solid foils and stacked them with low lift gators on top.

I do run them on the BB.

As for leaves, yes it pulverizes leaves. The only issue is it does create so much turbulence you will get some blowout at the front of the deck. This is a non-issue in grass.

whosedog
05-14-2010, 08:36 AM
What model mower you running ?

52" wright stander 25 hp kawi.