PDA

View Full Version : Exmark blade engagement *HELP*

RCSindiana
04-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Mowing Saturday and got caught in the rain. I just had a few passes left so I was trying to get finished. Grass was thick and obviously wet so I was being hard on it. It was going along fine and the blades just disengaged. I thought I ate the belt up. Got to the trailer and the belt is still there. I reched under the deck and can pull the blades by hand and all 3 turn at same time. So I fire back up and engage the blades then the motor dies immediately. Ive tried at differemt rpms and no luck. It is a 72 exmark with the 28 efi engine. Mower runs perfect otherwise. I took it to the car wash afterwards and cleaned it up and checked it out today also. This is my main mower and we are behind due to the rain. I cant afford much downtime here. Hopefully someone has experienced this and can point me in the right direction so I can try to pick up the part in the morning. Thanks to all

mowerknower
04-25-2010, 09:40 PM
What model is this, Lazer Z, Xs, Xp or Next lazer? Do the blades try to engage or is it shutting down from an electrical problem? The xp has 3 deck belts(1 on the deck and 2 from the engine to the deck) the Z and xs have 1 from the engine to the deck and 1 on the deck. Sounds like the belt on the deck is fine but you could have an issue with a mule drive belt.

RCSindiana
04-25-2010, 11:39 PM
I hate to sound stupid but I have had the mower about a month. It says lazer Z EFI on the front the front. The model # is LZ28KC724 Serial # 482559 Like I said before it was cutting then the blades just shut down. Now whenever I attempt to engage it kills motor. I have watched the clutch area while engaging and it really shakes the clutch and belts.

RCSindiana
04-25-2010, 11:42 PM
I guess I didnt answer your question. From what I can tell it is definately trying to engage the drive belt and clutch.

mowerknower
04-26-2010, 12:02 AM
So you have 1 belt to the deck and 1 on the deck. I would remove the mule drive belt and then see if the engine dies when you try to engage the blade.

RCSindiana
04-26-2010, 12:07 AM
I will try that here in a few. Great idea. Will post results shortly. Thank You

RCSindiana
04-26-2010, 02:00 AM
Got it. Thank you so much. You got me going in the right direction. It was actually a couple things. The seat kill switch was all gummed up and stuck and that was killing the motor. The connection to the clutch was loose and that is why the blades disengaged. I wiggled it and the clutch started working again. I bought the mower used and I am finding the weak links in it real quick. I have already put 100 hours on it this spring. Thanks again