PDA

View Full Version : Making curves

CSLC
04-25-2010, 08:09 PM
What do you guys use to make your curves in walkways and patios...

Crash
04-25-2010, 08:21 PM
What exactly do you mean???? If it's very precise you could use a string line attached to a fixed point. Besides that, just paint it out, cut it and you're on your way.

CSLC
04-25-2010, 09:09 PM
When the pavers are down I over lay them and use snap edging to get my curves to be aesticilly pleasing and the home owner's visions what do you guys use?

greatinmulchbeds
04-25-2010, 10:25 PM
over lay then usually i'll take thin pvc like 1/2 inch and bend till the curve looks good mark it and cut it

PlatinumLandCon
04-25-2010, 11:20 PM
use 1/2" electrical conduit... very flexible and you can put sections together to make long smooth curves.

pghlandscape
04-26-2010, 12:24 AM
use 1/2" electrical conduit... very flexible and you can put sections together to make long smooth curves.

this is the best way to do it!!!! we then mark the stone with "soap stone " and cut the pavers with a chop saw, lift the pieces out touch up the base if needed and install the soldier course. its dusty but super fast and very uniform

PlatinumLandCon
04-26-2010, 12:02 PM
this is the best way to do it!!!! we then mark the stone with "soap stone " and cut the pavers with a chop saw, lift the pieces out touch up the base if needed and install the soldier course. its dusty but super fast and very uniform

I bring a little cheapo 3gal air compressor with a blower nozzle to clean off pavers so when we finish cutting we can get all the superfine dust out of the stones. Then drop in soldier course and off you go. Some people disagree with cutting in place (zedosix) but I find it to be super quick and don't have the need for a table saw like he's got.
Posted via Mobile Device

Surfdunn
04-26-2010, 04:29 PM
I use my edge restraint and mark with a soap crayon.

zedosix
04-26-2010, 04:37 PM
I bring a little cheapo 3gal air compressor with a blower nozzle to clean off pavers so when we finish cutting we can get all the superfine dust out of the stones. Then drop in soldier course and off you go. Some people disagree with cutting in place (zedosix) but I find it to be super quick and don't have the need for a table saw like he's got.
Posted via Mobile Device

Try a gas powered blower, they are indespensible when preparing the brick for sand. Yup we mark with snap edge and bring to a table saw. There are other ways but this works for us.

greatinmulchbeds
04-26-2010, 05:29 PM
electrical conduit is a good method platinum since you can make it longer, going to have to try that. That's the only problem with pvc is the length.

zedosix
04-26-2010, 05:36 PM
electrical conduit is a good method platinum since you can make it longer, going to have to try that. That's the only problem with pvc is the length.

Just snap them together, why is that a problem.

greatinmulchbeds
04-26-2010, 05:51 PM
are you referring to the pvc to snap them together? then yeah I could take some pvc couplings to make it longer and I have done so in the past but when you bend longer sections it almost becomes impossible because the first section will try and straighten out and not really give you a smooth curve unless you have 10 people holding it

Crash
04-26-2010, 08:01 PM
We use the brick edging and a pencil, seems to work the best. The electrical conduit method sounds like it would work good to though.

DJJS
04-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Electrical conduit here too, lay it down, form the curve mark it with soapstone and cut it in place with the demo saw, bringing the pavers to the saw takes way longer then the saw to the pavers

zedosix
04-26-2010, 08:29 PM
are you referring to the pvc to snap them together? then yeah I could take some pvc couplings to make it longer and I have done so in the past but when you bend longer sections it almost becomes impossible because the first section will try and straighten out and not really give you a smooth curve unless you have 10 people holding it

No I was referring to snap edge.

Rex Mann
04-26-2010, 09:18 PM
We use 20 foot sections of 3/4 irrigation line. They have bells on them, so we can couple them together. And, they do not warp like the gray electrical ones. They cost $1.89 each!

Peace,

Rex

http://pavers.ning.com/

rustyj
04-27-2010, 01:08 AM
Flexible tent supports works good mark and cut
Posted via Mobile Device

forestfireguy
04-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Not sure I get the question, but if you mark each one and cut it no way, set you edge restraint, lay in the field, mark accordingly for your soldier course and demo saw cut the whole run, one shot. By far the most efficient way I've ever seen.