PDA

View Full Version : weight of a yard of mulch?

STIHL GUY
04-25-2010, 08:24 PM
does anyone know a rough estimate of how much a cubic yard of mulch weighs?? Thanks

PerfectEarth
04-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Average moisture.... about 800 lbs.

lukemelo216
04-25-2010, 08:34 PM
ya is it really wet, or dry and does your supplier give you a heavy yard, light yard, or what?

my supplier heaves the bucket full probably an extra 1/3 of a yard on there when he scoops so 3 yards for me is really probably close to 4yds

jeffslawnservice
04-25-2010, 08:47 PM
I think if its dry then 750 and if its wet then 1000 so some where between those two numbers.

STIHL GUY
04-27-2010, 03:03 PM
ok thanks. i was just wondering how much i could load into my truck

TLS
04-27-2010, 03:07 PM
If your talking about your 2500HD, even with decent height side boards, you really cant overload it with mulch.

I'd watch with your Ranger though.

Think Green
04-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Our supplier takes the loader from the bottom side of the mountain of mulch. The water drains down that deep, so getting dry loads is unfortunately a nightmare.
It depends on the density of the mulch. Double hammered hardwood can weigh as much as 1500--1700 lbs. moist.

That is if the loader gives you a full scoop plus some...??

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
04-27-2010, 09:06 PM
good question man....today i went to pick up some topsoil w/ the 5x8 tiny trailer. needed 4 yards. could only load 1 1/2 each time. SUCKED. We are buying a 6x10 tommrow w/ a 3500 lb payload. 15in tires, 16in sides, double hitch tongue, heavy duty axle. got it brand new for $1200. Its gonna help us alot with mulch jobs,soil and everything else. Goin back and forth to pick up supplies really burns time and gas

P.Services
04-27-2010, 09:17 PM
no way in hell does a yard of mulch weigh 1,500 pounds. Did you smoke a yard of crack or what? i will take a yard to the scale with me before the weekend and tell you for a fact.

P.Services
04-27-2010, 09:19 PM
im thinking more like 400-500 pounds. I can put a yard of mulch on a tarp and drag that mother like a mule and its not even that hard, shoot i can lift it off the ground if i bust a nut and i know i cant lift 1,500 pounds. Thats just crazy talk.

Think Green
04-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Picasso,
Minor mess up from the finger board, don't blow a nut there!.....was accidentally distracted by my kids.!!! Sorry!
Like I said, it depends on whether you are getting a full yard or a 7.00 an hour boy doing the loading and give you a level scoop. We get a full scoop plus! Two scoops makes a yard for us and it does weigh around 900 plus...........wet.
You get a yard of pine and it will weigh less!......correct? No one specified what type.

P.Services
04-27-2010, 09:40 PM
no but he specified a YARD that means one yard! 27 cubic feet of mulching goodness. Not a yard plus some, not a skinny yard. ONE CUBIC YARD.

Think Green
04-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Well,
You are correct, but I haven't seen two people load the same cubic yard of mulch either, so how in the world can a person accurately weigh the mulch to give a person a complete weight?? I made a damn mistake while typing!!! Can we move on?

Original poster,
Use your best judgement, make sure you have good load bearing axles and learn from experience what the trailer can handle. Don't listen to two grown men argue about the physics of material when it is clear that mulches can weigh differently. This is totally absurd.

P.Services
04-27-2010, 11:19 PM
The guy asked a weight and many people have provided him with answers that are complete guesses. I will measure up exactly 27 cubic feet and go weigh it. I need to know the answer also. It will be lightly moist hardwood mulch double ground.
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
04-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Ya so I think the most I've had in my f250 (long bed) is 5 yards, and I think I am able to put 6 yards in, if you have a ranger, you might be able to put 1 in... :laugh:

How far are you going?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikes lawn care
04-28-2010, 10:27 AM
i work in the yard at a landscaping company. one yard (dry)roughly weighs 800 if wet, your lookint at like 900-1000

jvanvliet
04-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Ima thinking go to HOME DEPOT & pick up a bag O mulch. They contain 2 cubic ft. my guess is maybe 10 - 15 lbs. not much more for the cheapo red. 27 cubic ft. per yard X 7.5 = you do the math.

maybe I'm just strong & it only feels like 10 or 15... buy one & get on the scale with it, then get on the scale without it divide the difference by 2 then x 9.

Geez.....

STIHL GUY
04-28-2010, 08:36 PM
i loaded 3 yards in the 2500HD before i built the sides and it handled it real nice. now that i built the sides ill be able to load even more

Raymond S.
04-28-2010, 09:06 PM
I have an 8' EZdumper insert in my 96 F250 long bed and have 12" sides on. I can haul 3 yds nicely but don't think I have room for 4 yds. I have always been told 700lbs for a yard of mulch, average moisture.

Picasso, I'd like to see you pick up that yard of mulch on the tarp. Drag it?...maybe. Pick it off the ground?...no way.

ajslands
04-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Ima thinking go to HOME DEPOT & pick up a bag O mulch. They contain 2 cubic ft. my guess is maybe 10 - 15 lbs. not much more for the cheapo red. 27 cubic ft. per yard X 7.5 = you do the math.

maybe I'm just strong & it only feels like 10 or 15... buy one & get on the scale with it, then get on the scale without it divide the difference by 2 then x 9.

Geez.....

It'd be heavier in there because the bags trap in moistere.
Posted via Mobile Device

PMLawns
04-28-2010, 09:26 PM
........ go with an average of 800 lbs. per yard. Gotta love the undertone here at times,......... you got 1,500 lbs. a yard........ to a mentioning of a crack smoker, ........who may happen to know someone who can lift an entire yard of mulch...........on a tarp no-less. I can't imagine it being far from the 800 lb a yard previously mentioned. I run two F350's one is a dump truck with a 7'x9'x3' box....her squats pretty well with 6 yards on. Now, if only I can hire a few guys who can carry a yard apiece, that "1 yard a man hour" figure just got blown to s&*^!!!!!!!

This sounds like fellas in my area, talking about a cord of wood over an open pit....we could do this for days!!:dizzy:

Superior L & L
05-01-2010, 09:46 PM
how funny!!
Ive always based a yard of mulch on 800#. Now im sure most everyone on here know more than me because ive only been landscaping for 16 years :)

tyler_mott85
05-01-2010, 10:24 PM
See there's a conflict between bulk mulch and bagged mulch. Quite frankly you either get screwed on bagged mulch or you get one heck of a deal with bulk mulch.
I bought 45 bags of 2cuft Cedar mulch yesterday and loaded them into my full size long bed Chevy half-ton. Stacking them up I was able to get them in two rows of four wide. So I still had a solid 3 foot of bed behind the bags. The truck didn't even know it had any weight on it. Now if we do the math 45x2 cu ft is 90 cu ft. divide that by 27 you get 3.33 cubic yards of mulch...stacked on the front half of my bed...maybe a foot above the sides. How is that possible? I am able to stack 7 bags of mulch on my 3 cu ft "homeowners" wheel barrow and roll it around and it only feels like a couple hundred pounds. yet, it's half a cubic yard "according to the bags".

Whenever I buy bulk I have always been told that for a 8ft bed on a full size truck you can get two cubic yards flat or 2.5 heaped. But you can actually see my half-ton squat with 2 "bulk" cu yds of mulch.

Now when you take the actual measurements of my truck (1993 Chevy Long-bed Full size) The length is closer to 97 inches. Tot he inside of the rails is 62 inches and the height is around 19. Do the math ... 178 Cu inches which is 6.59 Cu Yds. ARE YOU SERIOUS?! And that's not even taking into consideration that there is more space within the sides of the bed. But taking out the room taken up by the wheel wells it probably balances out equally.

So if you buy bulk you get 2.5 yards heaping. I'd say I could get 65 2 cuft bags in my truck easily and thats around 4.8 cu yds.

Sounds to me that bulk is the way to go and when you measure you better be making those "yards" you get from your mulch dealer take up the same volume as 2 cu yds.

As for the weight of one cubic yard? Its all relative to what you call one cu yard.

Superior L & L
05-02-2010, 07:56 AM
See there's a conflict between bulk mulch and bagged mulch. Quite frankly you either get screwed on bagged mulch or you get one heck of a deal with bulk mulch.
I bought 45 bags of 2cuft Cedar mulch yesterday and loaded them into my full size long bed Chevy half-ton. Stacking them up I was able to get them in two rows of four wide. So I still had a solid 3 foot of bed behind the bags. The truck didn't even know it had any weight on it. Now if we do the math 45x2 cu ft is 90 cu ft. divide that by 27 you get 3.33 cubic yards of mulch...stacked on the front half of my bed...maybe a foot above the sides. How is that possible? I am able to stack 7 bags of mulch on my 3 cu ft "homeowners" wheel barrow and roll it around and it only feels like a couple hundred pounds. yet, it's half a cubic yard "according to the bags".

Whenever I buy bulk I have always been told that for a 8ft bed on a full size truck you can get two cubic yards flat or 2.5 heaped. But you can actually see my half-ton squat with 2 "bulk" cu yds of mulch.

Now when you take the actual measurements of my truck (1993 Chevy Long-bed Full size) The length is closer to 97 inches. Tot he inside of the rails is 62 inches and the height is around 19. Do the math ... 178 Cu inches which is 6.59 Cu Yds. ARE YOU SERIOUS?! And that's not even taking into consideration that there is more space within the sides of the bed. But taking out the room taken up by the wheel wells it probably balances out equally.

So if you buy bulk you get 2.5 yards heaping. I'd say I could get 65 2 cuft bags in my truck easily and thats around 4.8 cu yds.

Sounds to me that bulk is the way to go and when you measure you better be making those "yards" you get from your mulch dealer take up the same volume as 2 cu yds.

As for the weight of one cubic yard? Its all relative to what you call one cu yard.

WOW my head is spinning from thinking about all these numbers. Just having to deal with all them plastic bags is enough for me to stay away from bagged mulch. Or you coul dbe "joe" homeowner and use them as weed barrier :dizzy:

tyler_mott85
05-02-2010, 09:15 AM
I prefer the bagged mulch due to the ease of moving it around. No shovels, no raking, no mess in the back of a truck or trailer. Just open it up and dump it where you want it with minimal manipulation with my hands. As for the bags I recycle them which gives the customers something to feel good about when they ask what I do with 100s of bags.

ajslands
05-02-2010, 09:19 AM
^ you forgott no money too!

Ya so we agreed on 800 lbs,

Since we're on this topic, how much does a yard of 3/4 down gravel weigh? I was guessing about 3k lbs but idk...
Posted via Mobile Device

lukemelo216
05-02-2010, 09:27 AM
3/4 gravel 1 yard is 3400lbs. There are 1.7 tons to 1 yard.

cgaengineer
05-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Around here if you ask them what the cost is per yard they say we sell by the scoop. Ask them the volume of "the scoop" and they say "I don't know". So yall are lucky you can buy by the yard.

P.Services
05-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Tyler, you need to re-do your math buddy. Your out in left field.
Posted via Mobile Device

coxslawncare
05-02-2010, 12:17 PM
According to my distributor mulch weighs around 500 lbs per yard. I've never weighed it though and the mulch I get is typically pretty dry

tyler_mott85
05-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Tyler, you need to re-do your math buddy. Your out in left field.
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha wow yeah you're right. What was I thinking?

:hammerhead:

STIHL GUY
05-02-2010, 09:41 PM
i guess we have come to the conclusion that it weighs an average of around 800 lbs

ajslands
05-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Yup
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
05-02-2010, 10:26 PM
3/4 gravel 1 yard is 3400lbs. There are 1.7 tons to 1 yard.

Oh $h!t! I had a yard in a half in my truck yesterday, plus a 15.5' loaded enclosed trailer in tow, (the leaf springs were on the frame!)
Posted via Mobile Device

Grass Shark
05-25-2010, 12:53 AM
wow, i thought it was like 400-500 pounds a yard!! I had 6 yards on my single axle 2990lb gvw trailer, trailer weighs about a 1000 lbs. So that was like 5800lbs on my axles? talk about under rating. I guess thats right my normal cutting equipment comes to 3800 lbs with the trailer. wow I never did the math... ouch

Grass Shark
05-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Oh $h!t! I had a yard in a half in my truck yesterday, plus a 15.5' loaded enclosed trailer in tow, (the leaf springs were on the frame!)
Posted via Mobile Device
enjoy the company of your transmission, before it leaves this life... lol

360ci
05-27-2010, 08:48 PM
good question man....today i went to pick up some topsoil w/ the 5x8 tiny trailer. needed 4 yards. could only load 1 1/2 each time. SUCKED. We are buying a 6x10 tommrow w/ a 3500 lb payload. 15in tires, 16in sides, double hitch tongue, heavy duty axle. got it brand new for $1200. Its gonna help us alot with mulch jobs,soil and everything else. Goin back and forth to pick up supplies really burns time and gas

You'll like my trailer. It's only a 4x8 utility, but it's the more versatile one I've owned, and it's also the oldest. I have 2' high sides with a 3' high front wall, made out of angle iron, barn board and plywood with a 5000lb axle and XL 15" tires. I'll post a photo eventually...although it's not much to look at but it's handled anything I've been able to throw at it.

I looked at a 6x12 trailer but prices here in Ontario are way expensive ($2K+ for open, $4.5K+ for enclosed)