PDA

View Full Version : Once again

theminigardener7
04-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Last Friday, I was working at one of the regular maintenance jobs on a residential street. The house has a 5 ft. hedge in front and the street is a little bit busy. (more walkers than drivers) So I had just finished weedwacking and I walked down the driveway to find my trailer, more empty than normal. I thought to myself "this is weird... I don't remember lending anyone anything, and I thought I brought everything with me." Upon closer inspection, i found my fairly thick chain had been cut. They had came, cut the chain (not the lock) and stolen one of my commercial hondas, a echo pb 755 blower, and an astron small hedge trimmer... All in the matter of 5 minutes no more than 150 ft. away. I felt like I had been punched in the stomach after losing $1800 in less than two minutes. I saw a guy washing a car across the street and asked him what he saw. He said, " this guy in a small car came and stopped, took a look at what was in the trailer, cut the locks, dialed a number in his phone, and within a minute a white escalade was there to load up everything. He told me that he thought they were working for me, and didnt think anything of it until they sped away. (?) Anyways, after questioning the carwasher, I went down the street to another gardener friend who was working and borrowed his mower for that house. While I was mowing, the car washer came up to me and said the guy just drove by again, and gave me a description of the man and the car. I called the cops and of course they didn't give a flyng f*@# eventhough I had a vehicle description and beginning of the license plate. The funny thing was, they obviously knew what they wanted: I put the mower in the front of the small trailer with the edger behind it, they took the edger out and put it to the side in order to grab the mower, they also tried to take my extended hedge trimmer but failed to cut that lock. So I don't know if you guys have the same type of stalk then steal situations overthere, but here in LA, they practically have it to a science now.

Trevor8
04-25-2010, 11:32 PM
that sucks. Some cops are lazy and don't do anything.

C & T Landscaping
04-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Time to wait in the truck with the good 'ol shotgun and wait for them to pull up. Hop out and see how they like their nice shiny Escalade full of buckshot.

JFGauvreau
04-26-2010, 09:16 AM
That's sucks that you were close to them and it only took like 5mins, what kind of dude would think someone else is working for you when they have to cut your chain to get the equipment? lol.

I hope you find your stuff bud!

ProMo
04-26-2010, 09:31 AM
I had the same thing happen a few months ago and have since installed an alarm system with motion detector. It goes off as soon as you enter. The next addition is a pepper sprayer just in case.

JFGauvreau
04-26-2010, 10:07 PM
I had the same thing happen a few months ago and have since installed an alarm system with motion detector. It goes off as soon as you enter. The next addition is a pepper sprayer just in case.

What is the range of that detector? like if someone is walking by the trailer will it go on? and what is the price for those if you don't mind me asking?

Falcon50EX
05-01-2010, 03:00 PM

Would u give more info on your system? Thanks :usflag:

Charles
05-01-2010, 03:23 PM
That's sucks that you were close to them and it only took like 5mins, what kind of dude would think someone else is working for you when they have to cut your chain to get the equipment? lol.

I hope you find your stuff bud!

They probably had the witness blocked so he couldn't see everything or he wasn't that focused on what was going on. Your mind sometimes doesn't register crazy stuff like that until it is too late. This is why crooks can walk into a store and ACT like they are there to pick up their Big screen TV and probably somebody in the store would actually help them load the stolen TV up.
Many thefts occur during daylight hours because that is when people least expect them to. A truck pulls up to your neighbors house at noon. Oh, they must know he is there.
Tag team theft is common here now

ProMo
05-01-2010, 11:24 PM
What is the range of that detector? like if someone is walking by the trailer will it go on? and what is the price for those if you don't mind me asking?

i am using an alarm from http://www.supervisionsecurity.com/trailerguard2.html i purchased the original tg1 unit at a local trailer store and wasnt happy with the product as i was able to rip my equipment off lol. I called the company and spoke with mark and he upgraded my unit and added the motion detector with a toggle to go between motion and door sensors. The motion switch is located at the rear of trailer facing forward so unless you physically go into trailer it does not activate. I also wired it into the breakaway switch and forgot to disarm it one day and it stopped me as soon as i got in the street. The battery is powered by a solar panel on top of the trailer and the alarm is activated by a key chain remote. I saw a pepper spay dispenser that will hook up to this system which will give me a chance of meeting anyone that dares to enter my trailer again.

theminigardener7
05-02-2010, 01:21 AM
i am using an alarm from http://www.supervisionsecurity.com/trailerguard2.html i purchased the original tg1 unit at a local trailer store and wasnt happy with the product as i was able to rip my equipment off lol. I called the company and spoke with mark and he upgraded my unit and added the motion detector with a toggle to go between motion and door sensors. The motion switch is located at the rear of trailer facing forward so unless you physically go into trailer it does not activate. I also wired it into the breakaway switch and forgot to disarm it one day and it stopped me as soon as i got in the street. The battery is powered by a solar panel on top of the trailer and the alarm is activated by a key chain remote. I saw a pepper spay dispenser that will hook up to this system which will give me a chance of meeting anyone that dares to enter my trailer again.
wow, thats pretty cool, if you don't mind my asking, how much was it? Also, how audible is the siren?

mtc2010
05-02-2010, 01:59 AM
TrailerGuard price here - http://www.bikebone.com/page/BBSC/PROD/Trailer-Security/SVS-300-TG2

I've been looking at this one - http://www.traileralarmsystems.com

I think either one of those would be a wise investment. I'm always worried about some one stealing my equipment since I have an open trailer.

topsites
05-04-2010, 10:57 AM
It boils down to temptation, which target to pick, ultimately temptation can hit anyone thou...
Leave a $100,000 worth of hundred dollar bills in a see-through plastic bag sitting someplace
and wonder how many folks would still do the right thing...

Not saying that makes it right.

Enclosed trailer, late model truck, brand new equipment, all this is a sign.
Some might think of it as advertising, perhaps it is.

And maybe them scrub looking guys ain't so dumb after all.

Soon as someone needs it worse than you.

below_ground
05-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Looks interesting ProMo - thanks for the link!

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-08-2010, 11:34 PM
doesnt suprise me that the cops didnt do anything. this is why i have such disrespect for cops. they will spend more time harrassing some old lady on a traffic stop than want to help find some scumbag hoodrat stealing highdollar equipment. u know why right??? cuz they arent makin any money off finding ur stuff....but they make a killing on traffic stops and useless crap that we barely even need them for. youd be better off doing your own investigation or hiring a private detective (not affiliated w/police) if you truly want to get ur stuff back. good luck man. i hope u catch em.

p.s. escalade?? makes u think of how many other mowers and equipment these "wankstas" have stolen to buy an escalade. probly havent worked a day in there life either. gotta love em

TSB group
05-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Thats a pretty unfair generalization of police officers. Is it your thinking that you can call in a description and they can just start pulling people over? They call that profiling now (thank your local liberal). If many people knew what kind of restrictions most cops had now, they would just do things the old fashion way....beat down. The truth is, you are probably not half as tough as the team of guys stealing your stuff, and if you pull a weapon...guess who goes to jail.

Short of an attack alligator named elvis on your trailer (ala Miami Vice) locking your stuff with a chain is the best its going to be. I have that same issue everytime I mow in someones back yard. I take random passes by my equipment to check things out. The fact of the matter is for these theifs, its how they make a living. Its dishonest and horrible to a hard working man, but they are quite good at it.

Insurance is there for a reason, do your due dilagence, and hope for the best. You cannot stop a motivated theif. They are ballsy and highly skilled. Cops end up getting sued more often than not because these guys know how to play the game start to finish. Its almost a no win situation.

Damn I miss the good ole western days where scores were settled with a peacemaker.

And as always, don't forget to vote Democrat! Criminals are people too!

doesnt suprise me that the cops didnt do anything. this is why i have such disrespect for cops. they will spend more time harrassing some old lady on a traffic stop than want to help find some scumbag hoodrat stealing highdollar equipment. u know why right??? cuz they arent makin any money off finding ur stuff....but they make a killing on traffic stops and useless crap that we barely even need them for. youd be better off doing your own investigation or hiring a private detective (not affiliated w/police) if you truly want to get ur stuff back. good luck man. i hope u catch em.

p.s. escalade?? makes u think of how many other mowers and equipment these "wankstas" have stolen to buy an escalade. probly havent worked a day in there life either. gotta love em

Bibbee Lawn Care
05-21-2010, 03:36 AM
Sorry to hear that, I can't believe how mad I get when I hear these stories.....

MikeKle
05-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Maybe a private type police force is what we need? A company you could hire to do what the city or county police wont do for you. Kind of like blackwater for the military, but a civilian version to handle things like this, or whatever you hire them for. Im sure this has been discussed before though. I think its a great idea, and things would get done too I bet!! I dont know of any laws that would prevent such a private police/security team?

ken gustafson
05-22-2010, 03:22 PM
What would be a real eye opener is if you really knew how much in trailer theft is really going on besides lawn equipment. 2005 number was 45 BILLION Dollars.. when I started my company in 1999 it was "only" 5 BILLION.....so theft could be a 60 billion dollar event now. Just so every one knows....theft goes way beyond the talk.....Ken

cut level
08-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Why would I go to jail if I catch em redhanded taking my stuff if I whip out the peacemaker? Cause you better believe its in my pocket. I didnt say shoot em but let em know their ass is in a real pinch.

Lefet
08-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Minigardner, sorry to hear about your stuff. I know the "feels like I was punched in the stomach" feeling as you stand there in disbelief with your jaw on the pavement.
Hope your insurance helps.

-Dalton-
08-10-2010, 09:24 PM
that sucks man. but for what its worth, the police can't really do anything with just part of a plate number. i am not taking their side, just throwing that out there.