PDA

View Full Version : When to change vehicles and equipment ?

Bunton Guy
07-02-2002, 04:13 PM
In the next 2 months I will be adding on atleast 30 new Commercial accounts if not more (working on even more) Just curious if you guys think that justifies getting a Cabover ? I really dont want to run the wheels off of my F-350 anymore than I have to. Along with this I will be getting a 61" Z and another 36 to take over for my tired Gravely 36 that is atleast 5 or more years old. When did you guys make the decision to go to a cabover ?

AL Inc
07-02-2002, 06:54 PM
Bunton-First, what is the situation with these commercial accounts. Are they locked in? I would be hesitant, of course, to buy anything to do work that wasn't definite. That being said, I bought a 1995 UD (Nissan) cabover about 2 years ago. I was also working with a Chevy one-ton dump. I needed something with a little more power and GVW, so I bought it. The truck is used for both maintenance and construction. I'm really happy with it and I love the diesel. I would say I would buy another one of these before I bought another Chevy or Ford. I guess what it boils down to is if you need it, buy it. Good luck, Mike

Bunton Guy
07-02-2002, 07:02 PM
We work everything off of 1 Year contracts and anything over 50,000 per year is a 2 yr. + contract. All of these accounts are gas station chains.....also we might be adding in 50+ other gas station chain in here soon if everything works well.

proline32
07-05-2002, 10:34 PM
I was gonna say run em till they drop dead, but you are paying in a much larger league than I am..... If you can justify having the vehicle and you think it will benefit you then why not.

Bladewielder
07-06-2002, 12:38 AM
Congratulations on your business growth. It sounds impressive. Just keep it simple. If you feel you really need something now and can afford it get it. Just make sure that you are confident you will still need it tomorrow.

strickdad
07-06-2002, 12:47 AM
this is easy, run your equipment till its no longer profitable....

LAWNGODFATHER
07-06-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by strickdad
this is easy, run your equipment till its no longer profitable....

Once it costs you more than a new one each month it is time to say good bye.

You will know when this is. If it causes many problems or prone to break down then it's time.

Cabovers. I looked at them and find the nissan to have the most getty up n go. And did like the 14mpg you can get with them.

Turfdude
07-06-2002, 11:01 AM
If you're serving a chain of stations, then you're probably doing a lot of travel. I would definately want a reliable vehicle as you'll be putting on a lot of miles. Can't afford to have vehicles break down when going far distances. Personally I only go about a 10 mile radius. My trucks range in year '88, '90, '93 & '94 and in miles from 51000 to 108000. All are in excellent running condition for age, but would not want to do far travel. Average 8000 miles per year per vehicle.

Bob

LAWNGODFATHER
07-06-2002, 04:53 PM
One more thing I forgot to mension, these mini cab over trucks were designed as delivery vehicals. They have an aprox. 220,000 to 250,000 mile diesel engine life span. Near thoses numbers they recomend a total rebuild. I have seen some go many more and some not get even close but they should get in the upper 150,000+ without a problem.

Oil changes every 6,000-10,000 miles.

The Nissan has a 6 cylinder and the mitsu, hino, isuzu/gmc have a 4 banger.

If I am not mistaken they have an unlimited milege in thier warrenty.

On the smaller wheel bases they have an awsome turning radius.

Try and get around the 14,050 gvw or higher.

Diesesl with A/C an AT.

The diesels hold their value alot more than a reg truck or even the gas model cabovers.