PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Choppers

Turf Ranger
07-02-2002, 06:43 PM
I purchased a x2001 about a month ago, but i was wondering if any1 who has had a dixie before has had this happen to them... when i start it up it smokes. Is this cause the rings havent settled yet or is it and oil leak, or is it just cause its new? thanks for the help

ProMo
07-02-2002, 08:38 PM
probably some oil on the reed valve should go away

Richard Martin
07-03-2002, 05:07 AM
Kohler engines are a little picky about how they're shut off. Let it idle at 1,500 to 1,600 rpm for a minute or so and then shut it off. The smoke at startup should stop.

awm
07-03-2002, 09:38 AM
white is oil, black is gas. on a new engine niether is a biggee ,but u might get your dealer to adjust it a tad and follow previously given advice.

FrankenScagMachines
07-03-2002, 08:33 PM
Actually guys, not to sound like a smart @$$, but you need to let it idle more than just a minute before shutting it off. It should be at least two or three minutes, if not 5. A liquid cooled engine is different, I don't think they need to idle much at all, but ANY air cooled engine needs at least two or three minutes at idle before shutdown to properly cool the valves and valve seats etc. This ensures that they cool slowly whereas if you shut it off hot, it can warp the valves and it's just not good on the motor. Yes Kohlers are more particular about this than other motors but all air cooled motors need a few minutes to cool. Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you.
Happy mowing!
Eric