PDA

View Full Version : stripes

sirsweatsalot
07-02-2002, 06:01 PM
how-D well i have what may be a dumb but o well. my mower sripes better then anyone elses but the thing is i run the front caster wheels with little to no air should i keep what works or should i go out on a limb and switch up the heights on the deck itself?

oh yeah i was comming home from cutting one day and i looked over at this kid cutting his lawn with your standard issuse 21" and it had the best stripes i have ever seen comming from a 21" i guess in the future i better watch out for that kid.

FrankenScagMachines
07-02-2002, 11:18 PM
Well you can very easily do damage to both rim and tire on those casters if you run them almost flat to flat. They can also come off the bead pretty easily at this flatness. I would say you're getting better stripes that way because it's changing the deck pitch which theoretically makes them stripe better.
There should be an adjustment on the mower to change deck pitch. What mower are you running? Kit? Could you post some stripe pics? Thanx,
Eric

sirsweatsalot
07-02-2002, 11:26 PM
well eric im not to proud of my machine but it does the trick...its a cub cadet comercial series 48" deck. it runs great. i'll be awhile getting some pics of stripes because...its getting pretty dry here. but i have run the wheels at the same psi in the past and have broke the bead but i don't want to mess up what i have going for me.

FrankenScagMachines
07-03-2002, 07:40 PM
that's not a mower to be ashamed of. I'm jealous. True if I would get a new one it wouldn't be that one but only because I don't know much about it and it's a relatively new machine i think(???) but I haven't heard any bad about them yet. You ought to be able to adjust the deck pitch and get the same results only with those tires aired up. You will ruin your wheels and tires this way and you can't afford the downtime associated with a tire coming off of a rim anyway. Just figure out how to adjust the deck pitch and put the front at least 1/4" lower than the back, and check that it's level side to side. Measure from the blade tips not the edge of the deck as some decks aren't the same in front as in back. Just rotate the blades to where you need them to measure from them to the LEVEL garage floor.
Good luck,
Eric
ps looking forward to the pics

lawnrangers
07-03-2002, 07:52 PM
i also run a cub comm. TANK SERIES, stripes wonderful.they are just now getting to where people notice the cub mower. we have 2 tanks.over 170hrs. no problems yet....

rodney
07-03-2002, 08:15 PM
dont they have a full width roller on the back of the deck ? if so air the tires up and keep striping.