PDA

View Full Version : Bio-degradable string trimmer line

FastMan
04-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Does it exist? I tried google and found nothing. Got thinking about this just now while posting in another thread. We landscapers leave tons of little pieces of petroleum based trimmer line spewed all over our customers lawns. Not at all environmentally friendly. Perhaps a big opportunity for a new product that will revolutionize and "green up" lawn care. Maybe our dear President, bless his heart, will even outlaw the oil based stuff and make "green string" mandatory. Hey, he can take the salt out of our food, so why not this? So what if it works like crap!! :usflag:

MarcSmith
04-26-2010, 09:59 AM
patent your idea...

honestly though I dot think I ever left any pieces around, the line just wears down over time.

teacherman
04-26-2010, 11:02 AM
supposedly, there is a plastic made of 40% bamboo fibers, which will break down completely. A while back, they were incorporating corn into plastic bags, which would break down to leave a residue of plastic powder. Hope that helps. No idea how durable either is. Trimmer line needs to be some tough stuff.

lawnguyland
04-26-2010, 02:14 PM
patent your idea...

honestly though I dot think I ever left any pieces around, the line just wears down over time.

Not the big pieces- miniscule particles!

So where does the 5lb spool of line disappear to? It's everyhwere! And those particles get into the water system and into the food web I'm sure too. Can't be good.

No BS I googled it the other day too-

lawnboy852
04-26-2010, 03:46 PM
I really wouldnt worry about it... I would go after the playgrounds that use 6" of shredded tires on the ground before string trimmer particles. And sure, its in the ground, but plants dont just "soak up" the petroleum chemicals in the line, and leeching into the water system isnt any worse than (much less so actually) than things done by the boating industry, pesticides, or even disposable plastic waterbottles releasing chemicals into their contents. The whole green movement is a costly hoax in my mind.

However, society loves it, so if you can figure it out, make a biodegradeable line, patent it, and SELL SELL SELL.

clean_cut
04-26-2010, 03:53 PM
That would be pretty cool, a biodegradable trimmer line, or at least a previously recycled trimmer line would be nice. I'm just not sure of the durability.

unkownfl
04-26-2010, 03:56 PM
I really wouldnt worry about it... I would go after the playgrounds that use 6" of shredded tires on the ground before string trimmer particles. And sure, its in the ground, but plants dont just "soak up" the petroleum chemicals in the line, and leeching into the water system isnt any worse than (much less so actually) than things done by the boating industry, pesticides, or even disposable plastic waterbottles releasing chemicals into their contents. The whole green movement is a costly hoax in my mind.

However, society loves it, so if you can figure it out, make a biodegradeable line, patent it, and SELL SELL SELL.

Lets not forget the roads. Look at all the oil in every parking lot and roads.

Richard Martin
04-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Husband: Dang Honey. I need to go but more trimmer line.

Wife: But I thought you just bought a 5 pound spool earlier this year.

Husband: I did but it's that biodegradable stuff. It just turned into powder right on the spool.

lawnguyland
04-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Husband: Dang Honey. I need to go but more trimmer line.

Wife: But I thought you just bought a 5 pound spool earlier this year.

Husband: I did but it's that biodegradable stuff. It just turned into powder right on the spool.

Good point, but hopefully the "theys" can come up with something that that would be durable enough for use and maybe degrade in 10 or 20 or more years- as long as it goes away eventually.

There is a patent on a trimmer line that has a biodegradable core with a very thin poly somethin wrap- which is a good step in the right direction.:walking:

I'm not too worried about it, but it would be nice to have it.

I'd also love battery powered mowers, trimmers, blowers...everything...if it was commerical quality and powerful enough (like an electric golf cart motor on a stand-on mower would be sweet). Fumes and emissions are bad. Ooops i got off topic:waving:

unkownfl
04-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Good point, but hopefully the "theys" can come up with something that that would be durable enough for use and maybe degrade in 10 or 20 or more years- as long as it goes away eventually.

There is a patent on a trimmer line that has a biodegradable core with a very thin poly somethin wrap- which is a good step in the right direction.:walking:

I'm not too worried about it, but it would be nice to have it.

I'd also love battery powered mowers, trimmers, blowers...everything...if it was commerical quality and powerful enough (like an electric golf cart motor on a stand-on mower would be sweet). Fumes and emissions are bad. Ooops i got off topic:waving:

Electric is dumb unless we go nuke. You emit more making the electricity than you do just burning gas.

lawnguyland
04-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Electric is dumb unless we go nuke. You emit more making the electricity than you do just burning gas.

Well you're right about emissions in general, but I'm talking about electric powered stuff so that I don't have to have that crap blowing in my face all day. It would be easy to start and quieter too.
I have a 36 volt black and decker weed wacker and I'd say it's almost to the point where I could use that instead of a gas trimmer. Almost, but not quite.

I don't mind nuke at all. Find one mountain to dump all the waste and be done with it!