PDA

View Full Version : Double amputee with ZTR advise needed.

Z400ACDC
04-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Hello
I bought a 03 Grasshopper with 25 kholer and 61" deck with 1100hrs on it 4 years ago. I take care of about 10 acres with it. My 5acre yard gets mowed when needed and the other 5 acres of wooded area gets a trim about 4-5 times a year. OK, the mower now has 1550hrs on it. Should I think about selling it and get one with less hrs or just repair my when needed. It runs good and mows great! I over-servise it. I change the oil&filter about ever 60 hrs and the hydro-oil every year. I can't afford a new one. What would you do? THANKS!!!!!

MJB
04-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Hello
I bought a 03 Grasshopper with 25 kholer and 61" deck with 1100hrs on it 4 years ago. I take care of about 10 acres with it. My 5acre yard gets mowed when needed and the other 5 acres of wooded area gets a trim about 4-5 times a year. OK, the mower now has 1550hrs on it. Should I think about selling it and get one with less hrs or just repair my when needed. It runs good and mows great! I over-servise it. I change the oil&filter about ever 60 hrs and the hydro-oil every year. I can't afford a new one. What would you do? THANKS!!!!!

I would just look at a replacing the engine down the road. That mower should last you for years yet. The engine is probably good up until 2000 hrs before it will start losing power. If your happy with it I would keep it. I ran my GH for many years over 3000 hrs.

FastMan
04-26-2010, 11:55 AM
You're putting on about 110 hours a year. That means you won't hit 2000 hours until another 5 years. Many guys get that many and more hours out of there rigs, mowing commercially with them. Sounds like you treat yours like a baby, so should be able to expect at least the same. You like it, it's running well, it has more life in it. I think the answer is clear.

tstutz
04-26-2010, 12:00 PM
i agree those grasshoppers can run for thousands of hours.

driver5
04-26-2010, 01:47 PM
keep servicing your machine. Run it till you have a problem. Then treat the problem.

Keep on keepin on.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
04-26-2010, 02:31 PM
You can expect a lot more hours then that out of that mower. If you really wanted to you could have a shop measure engine tolerances, but it's unnecessary.

Z400ACDC
04-26-2010, 07:24 PM
You're putting on about 110 hours a year. That means you won't hit 2000 hours until another 5 years. Many guys get that many and more hours out of there rigs, mowing commercially with them. Sounds like you treat yours like a baby, so should be able to expect at least the same. You like it, it's running well, it has more life in it. I think the answer is clear.

It does not get treated like a baby. My yard ain't no golf course. It was just a pasture field. How long can I expect the hydro's to last? If one goes out, sould you replace both? How would you clean out the wheel motors and lines? Thanks!!

MJB
04-27-2010, 11:04 AM
You should get 3500 hrs or more out of your hydros. Should not even be an issue for no more than you use it. Just be careful not to allow any debris or dirt get into the oil when servicing them every year.

FastMan
04-27-2010, 11:21 AM
It does not get treated like a baby. My yard ain't no golf course. It was just a pasture field. How long can I expect the hydro's to last? If one goes out, sould you replace both? How would you clean out the wheel motors and lines? Thanks!!

As landscapers, our mowers see rough conditions on a regular basis, and with employees operating them probably get treated with less concern then I imagine you afford yours. I concur with MJB, your hydros should have many years of life left in them.

Z400ACDC
04-27-2010, 01:19 PM
You should get 3500 hrs or more out of your hydros. Should not even be an issue for no more than you use it. Just be careful not to allow any debris or dirt get into the oil when servicing them every year.

I clean the mower well before I servise it. I don't want to add more dirt than I am taking out. Thanks guys for all your help!:dancing: