PDA

View Full Version : grasshopper 321d - underpowered?

walexa07
04-26-2010, 11:46 AM
I never post here but read alot and am in the market for a good diesel ztr, preferably less than 60" cut so I don't have to buy a new trailer. Just a homeowner. Really thought I had settled on the gh321d.......went to the local dealer, and the salesman went on and on about how underpowered it was. He said he personally had one for 4 years/100hrs. He said get the 325.......but you can't get it with the 52" deck. So he recommended the 329 with the 29LC kubota.

Is the 321d really underpowered? If I am going to spend 10k on a mower I want it to be strong.

Waylan

Mowingman
04-26-2010, 01:21 PM
No, the 321D is not underpowered for average mowing conditions, using a 60" deck. With a 52" deck, you will have PLENTY of power, even in overgrown mowing conditions.
I have owned several 321D machines, and also was a Grasshopper dealer before I sold my store.
The salesman is just trying to sell you a more expensive machine that you really do not need. He is thinking in terms of commercial use, where lawncare companies want all the power they can get. Forget that, get the 321D with the 52" deck. It will do a great job, and probably last you 15-20 years if you take care of it.
Tell the salesman you want the Grasshopper regional sales rep. to bring a 321D with a 52" deck for you to try on a demo. The factory rep. almost always has access to one of those machines for demo purposes.
You can also call the factory and tell them you want to talk to someone in customer service about how the 321D will handle a 52" deck in your specific conditions. Someone there will be glad to answer any questions you might have.

jmf1969
04-26-2010, 04:26 PM
I have a 321d with a 61" deck, normal mowing does fine, if grass is really tall or wet it is a little underpowered though.
Posted via Mobile Device

tmanmi
04-26-2010, 04:51 PM
I have a 721 front mount with a 52" deck. For a home owner without any steep hills it will have enough power. I don't see the lack of power at the deck but in the hydro on hills.