PDA

View Full Version : Centipede Lawn - Using Image Before Soil and Seed?

Mossberg
04-26-2010, 03:25 PM
I have a centipede lawn that has some bare (or dead) spots. I also have both broadleaf and grassy weeds growing in the centipede that is not dead or bare. I want to apply Image weed control to the entire lawn to control weeds, but will this affect the seed and soil I want to put down?

I really hate how often I have to cut the lawn mostly because the weeds grow much faster compared to the centipede.

I also just handraked the lawn yesterday to remove the excessive thatch and am also thinking of aerating as well.

Which should I do first, seed or weed control? In what time guidelines should I wait to do the other? Or, can I do both now?

Atlanta, GA area
Centipedegrass Lawn.

Thanks LS.com!

Mossberg
04-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Here are some pics.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee7/MossbergSlim/The%20Yard/IMG_1891Medium.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee7/MossbergSlim/The%20Yard/IMG_1892Medium.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee7/MossbergSlim/The%20Yard/IMG_1893Medium.jpg

Mossberg
04-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Oh, and does anyone know what type of plant those borders around the beds are? They were there when I bought the home. I don't want to apply weed control product and it kills the planting bed borders. :D

Thanks!

Mossberg
04-27-2010, 11:59 AM
anyone? :(

Mossberg
04-28-2010, 12:26 PM
no help? :(

I guess I'll just spray Image for the weeds now and put the seeds and soil down a couple weeks later and hope for the best.

bob1usa
04-28-2010, 08:58 PM
You can not reseed for 6 months after applying Image with Atrazine.
Stay away from ornamental and tree roots. And always read the label &
labeling before using any herbicides or pesticides.
Bob Boseman
Boseman Lawn Care

Mossberg
04-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks a bunch Bob!

ArTurf
04-30-2010, 12:08 AM
Most herbicides have a time before you can seed ofter application. You will need to read the label on each. I would knock out the weeds and do things to promote health & vigorous growth. Wait awhile and see if the grass spreads and fills itself in. If needed overseed early June if needed.

RAlmaroad
04-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Mr. Mossberg--I have one of your shotguns. Sorry I couldn't write until now as I'm not home during the end of the month and middle of the month. DO Nothing and write me. You may have to post at least 25 posts before your PM kicks in. I can tell you this: You're going to have to invest in a lot of hoses or a good irrigation system or that grass is gone. What you have is drought damage. Centipede is beautiful grass but you've got to respect what it needs. What "Image" are you using? Is it the "Image" from Lowes that covers 8000 sq. ft? or something else. I use "Image" but mix my own. I suggest that you re-sod those spots. and fill in around the small gaps with a loose potting soil or spagnum peat moss blend. NO FERTILIZE YET! AND WATER three/day and keep that sod wet, wet, wet, It will take three weeks for it to start to root. Then we'll talk PROPER Maintenance via PM. Or just Hire me to come over there from TN. with a load of sod, and irrigation equipment. Do you have a shallow well?

There's so much to be done!

Oh yes, that border plant is lirope or monkey-grass. Best to put down a metal border--it spreads from root nodules that look a lot like a very small onion. They multiple fast. Or, In the winter you can just cut them close to the ground and use an electric edger and cut out the nodes.

Roy

Mossberg
04-30-2010, 10:38 PM
I bought the Image (nutsedge killer - safe for centipede) that is sold at Home Depot in the bottle that attaches to the end of the hose. I am currently getting my backyard graded and sodded with Zoysia. I want to do the front, but I am running out of money fast between the deck being built and the sod in the rear going in. (The back yard took priority because I have NO lawn in the back after I had approximately 40 trees removed)

I may just try to maintain the front enough to get through the summer until my money tree grows more cash hopefully next year. :D

I've already bought the centipede seeds and topsoil. I also have the Image as well. I figure I may as well try to make it look at least presentable for the time being.

So should I put the seeds and soil down now, and battle the weeds with the riding mower for now, and use the Image in a month or two after?

Thanks a bunch for your help guys!

I'm a total newb to this stuff.

Mossberg
05-01-2010, 12:02 AM
The back yard (for reference of why I have no coin left for the front yard!) LOL

this was right after the trees were removed

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee7/MossbergSlim/The%20Yard/IMG_1688Medium.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee7/MossbergSlim/The%20Yard/IMG_1690Medium.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee7/MossbergSlim/The%20Yard/IMG_1691Medium.jpg

RAlmaroad
05-01-2010, 06:56 AM
You could remove the centipede sod from the worst large spot and fill in the smaller spots until you have an even turf; then get it going with milogranite fertilize and lots and lots of water. You really need to use some potassium nitrate to help the root zone start to get healthy and start to set stolons.
Image will kill your grass unless it is growing actively. Read your label!!!
Then in the big spot where you have removed the sod; sow the centipede--it will not germinate until Mid-June when it gets really warm. Keep it watered and watered well. No fertilize on the freshly seeded spot.
I could check in on you as I'm through Spartanburg (Just over the hill via 25 from Greenville)...I know Lawrenceville well; I have some great friends there.
Good Luck--There's a lot of work there--no matter what you do. I'd spring for irrigation first before tearing up the lawn and if the Zoysia is not down yet after grade work is done. At least lay in your pipe (1" PVC Schedule 40--no thin wall trash) and cap your ends and flag locations. Then sod. That sod is going to have to be kept wet anyway for a month or it will die out quickly in the heat of the summer.

Photos came in right after this post--Start a sawmill on those pines...

Perfect time for pre-irrigation pipe to be put down in the back.

Roy

ArTurf
05-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Mossberb,

Listen to Ralmaroad, he know his stuff. I have learned a lot from him.

I am an irrigation installer & applicator. Definately install your irrigation before anything else.

Zoysia in my experience is a much easier grass to maintain than centipede. If it is practical I would sod the front with Zoysia in addition to the back yard.

Mossberg
05-01-2010, 01:11 PM
I definitely want to do the front grading/sod as well as irrigation, but I am fresh out of money unfortunately after other expenses have come up.

I will eventually put zoysia in the front. I just can't afford it right now after everything else. :(

You guys have been a great help!

Thanks a bunch!