PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Husqvarna 326 Weed Whacker- Runs for 5 mins, shuts off..

airsoft1779
04-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Holla all. This is my first post here. I run a neighborhood lawn service (im 15) and have about 15 lawns a week and growing till about the end of october, and with all this use my husqvarn weed whacker isn't working right.

It will run for about 5 mins, then shut off, then run for maybe 2 mins then shut off, then it wont work at all, well maybe a few seconds but then off again. I have a new spark plug, air filter, the correct gas mixture. It also will leak gas when it is hot, but not when its normal tempature. My plan was to get it serviced, but the turn around time is 2 wks for every shop in my area, so It looks like I have to fix this myself. I am thinking to replace the fuel filter and all the fuel lines, but can't think of anything else to do. Also, I have opened and closed the cap to mk sure it is getting air and keeping presure, but that doesn't seem to work. I have about 3 days too till I must use it.

1 option is borrow or rent a weed whacker and take mine to the shop to get by for the next 2 wks. or

2 get mine serviced and just buy a new one also, seems like it would be a good investment and good to have.

Regardless, I need to figure out the problem. Any help or advice would be great! Thanks!

airsoft1779
04-26-2010, 05:45 PM
btw, I couldn't find the engine or machine #, but everything is stock.

rlitman
04-26-2010, 06:42 PM
If it stops working only when hot, then its probably the coil.
Not sure about your leaking gas when hot problem though.

dutch1
04-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Are you buy any chance getting any oily residue around your muffler exit? If so you may want to pull and clean(burn off) any carbon buildup of the antispark screen in the muffler. I would see no need to replace fuel lines unless they are leaking. Replace the in tank fuel filter and see if anything changes.

DT Lawn Care
04-27-2010, 08:10 AM
I'm voting that it's the coil, though the fuel leakage does sound a bit weird.

Merkava_4
04-27-2010, 11:02 AM
I recommend that you fix the fuel leak first and then work from there.

Lawn N Order
04-27-2010, 11:17 AM
It depends where the fuel leak is. The tank shouldnt be under pressure. the intake will suck the gas in no matter what, if anything, you want it to vent properly. If it isnt venting, it might not run right. I had a chain saw and the plastic fuel cap swelled up due to the gas affecting the plastic cap. It was a common problem with the saw. The cap couldnt vent right and the saw would stall out under load because it want getting enough gas. Even if your not trimming, its always under load because it has to spin the shaft and head while its idleing.

If the carb is set too rich, it might not be burning all the fuel and that could cause a "leak". Unless you know how to tune it right, I.E. setting the high, low and mix screws, I would take it in. If you set them wrong, you could fry it. Even being set too rich can fry it. I would say its most likely a carb setting or maybe some crud is stuck in the needle/seat valve causing it to flood.

After it stops working is the spark plug wet? Where is the fuel leaking from?

airsoft1779
04-27-2010, 01:05 PM
what is the coil? Where is it located? I dont think Im getting oil from the muffler, but will check the anti-spark screen and try and clean/replace it. The fuel leak is coming from where fuel lines that go into the carburator and the carburator area. The lines look like they are just hangin on lightly, feel loose and worn down. The carb is set to stock, never have needed to touch it in all the many seasons I have had it. The cap is venting properly too.

Thanks for all your help

DT Lawn Care
04-28-2010, 10:11 AM
The coil is the part that generates the spark for your plug. You know the black wire that you put onto your spark plug? That is connected to the coil. When coils go bad, they lose spark when they get hot.

airsoft1779
04-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Ok, thanks. Are coils universal or do I need to order the specific part. I just installed a new fuel filter and fuel lines and will go out and try to find the coil

DT Lawn Care
04-28-2010, 04:56 PM
Ok, thanks. Are coils universal or do I need to order the specific part. I just installed a new fuel filter and fuel lines and will go out and try to find the coil

No, it will need to be ordered from a parts source online or at your dealer.

airsoft1779
04-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Ok, I will look into that. I tried to start it a few moments ago and it wouldn't start at all. IDN what the problem is. I am prtty sure I have the lines in right. I also noticed some fuel is leaking from the muffler. I didn't notice this before but it is. what could this be a sign of?

Lawn N Order
04-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Carb is flooding over. Either its a faulty needle/seat valve or the carb is set too rich and not burning all the fuel. Before you spend the money on a new coil I would pull the plug out, set it on the side (still connected) and pull it over. If you dont see spark, then its a coil issue or maybe a faulty on/off switch. If you have spark, then its a fuel delievery problem (carb problem). I'd spend more time figuring out whats wrong instead of throwing parts at it. No need to replace parts that are working fine.

DT Lawn Care
04-29-2010, 08:56 AM
Carb is flooding over. Either its a faulty needle/seat valve or the carb is set too rich and not burning all the fuel. Before you spend the money on a new coil I would pull the plug out, set it on the side (still connected) and pull it over. If you dont see spark, then its a coil issue or maybe a faulty on/off switch. If you have spark, then its a fuel delievery problem (carb problem). I'd spend more time figuring out whats wrong instead of throwing parts at it. No need to replace parts that are working fine.

If you are going to test the coil, run this test after it shuts off on you when hot.

whosedog
04-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Order a new carb for $60 from your dealer,install it;problem solved;also get rid of the spark arrester.Those rubber fuel pumps deteriorate from the ethanol added to gas.First take the carb apart and clean the needle valve,if you can't get it to run right(after adjusting the hi and low speed valves)you need a new carb.Fixed my chain saw and hedge trimmer over the winter that way,for $60, it's like a new machine.

lawnboy dan
04-29-2010, 08:44 PM
i have had a bad carb on one of my huskys too. they are zamma -a brand thats prone to failure

Alan0354
04-30-2010, 04:21 AM
When it die, try loosen the gas cap and see whether it will start to test the gas cap.