PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what kind of tree this is?

DLAWNS
04-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Not so good with tree id...any ideas? I'm located in New Jersey.

Sweet Tater
04-26-2010, 09:47 PM
I do believe that is a Red Bud

Dstosh
04-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Yep-Red Bud

Pennings Gardens
04-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Eastern Red Bub.

grassman177
04-26-2010, 10:35 PM
cercis canandensis aka the redbud eastern variety. are you truely asking as you dont know your trees or what?

Crash
04-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Redbud, beautiful tree.

ALLPro Landscaping
04-26-2010, 10:38 PM
10-4 Red bud

DLAWNS
04-26-2010, 10:39 PM
cercis canandensis aka the redbud eastern variety. are you truely asking as you dont know your trees or what?

Yeah...not gonna lie, don't know much about trees. I don't do much with them here. Learning as I go....lol Thanks for the answers guys!

DLAWNS
04-26-2010, 10:40 PM
So I'm gonna guess it's a red bud? haha:laugh: Thanks again!

Dreams To Designs
04-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Hey Bill, when you come to the Rutgers winter classes next year, we'll be sure to teach you, Cercis canadensis, Eastern Redbud. it's a great native tree that is available in white flowering forms as well as the standard lavender, a weeping form, covey and a couple of additional leaf colors, being gold and purple.

Kirk

DLAWNS
04-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Hey Bill, when you come to the Rutgers winter classes next year, we'll be sure to teach you, Cercis canadensis, Eastern Redbud. it's a great native tree that is available in white flowering forms as well as the standard lavender, a weeping form, covey and a couple of additional leaf colors, being gold and purple.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk! I am sure that I will at least know this tree from this point forward. lol Do you have any info on tree or plant classes that you recommend? Let me know....I would love to learn more....

starry night
04-27-2010, 10:24 AM
One of the cultivars with purple leaves is "Forest Pansy." Because of the leaf color it is just beautiful even after the flowers.

Redbud grows native around here on very shallow soil on top of our limestone base usually at the edge of woodlands.

Dreams To Designs
04-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Bill, knowing how to identify it, is step one. Now the fun of knowing what it does, when it has interest and where it will fit and thrive becomes the true passion.

The winter short course program at Rutgers is a widely varied, intense group of landscape information and instructors that attracts students from New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New York & Connecticut regularly, while the turf program gets students from around the world.

http://www.cpe.rutgers.edu/programs/landscape.html

Any seminar where there is someone that knows more about a subject than you, not always the presenter, is a worthwhile use of your time. Taking advantage of the networking opportunities is another benefit.

Kirk

DLAWNS
04-27-2010, 10:36 AM
One of the cultivars with purple leaves is "Forest Pansy." Because of the leaf color it is just beautiful even after the flowers.

Redbud grows native around here on very shallow soil on top of our limestone base usually at the edge of woodlands.

Thanks for the extra info. I appreciate any and all new information.

Bill, knowing how to identify it, is step one. Now the fun of knowing what it does, when it has interest and where it will fit and thrive becomes the true passion.

The winter short course program at Rutgers is a widely varied, intense group of landscape information and instructors that attracts students from New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New York & Connecticut regularly, while the turf program gets students from around the world.

http://www.cpe.rutgers.edu/programs/landscape.html

Any seminar where there is someone that knows more about a subject than you, not always the presenter, is a worthwhile use of your time. Taking advantage of the networking opportunities is another benefit.

Kirk

I will definitely be interested in attending. I love learning new things as well as networking.

cudaclan
04-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Beautiful when they bloom and vibrant in color. However, it is a poor and short-lived species. Prone to cankers, insect damage and splitting in colder climates.

grassman177
04-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Forest pansy is a awesome looking tree! love them

DLAWNS
04-28-2010, 12:52 AM
I appreciate all the info guys! Thanks again!:)

grassman177
04-28-2010, 08:44 AM
when it doubt, ask a certified arborist(me!) and they most times can get your info straight.

DLAWNS
04-29-2010, 02:11 AM
when it doubt, ask a certified arborist(me!) and they most times can get your info straight.

That's awesome, I didn't know you were an arborist...

steve m
04-29-2010, 06:11 AM
yes a redbud with nice heart sharp leaves