PDA

View Full Version : When behind from rain, do you just trim your lawns and cut when its dry?

Ford4Ever
04-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Its been raining like crazy here for the past few days. Right now I am three full days behind (we needed the rain though so I really cant complain). I was wondering if any of you go around and trim/edge the lawns then come back and mow them once the ground is dry enough? Do customers care if you do this? Thanks

MileHigh
04-26-2010, 09:20 PM
I was wondering if any of you go around and trim/edge the lawns then come back and mow them once the ground is dry enough?

Never even thought about doing that..but it doesn't make since to me. You would have to drive your route, trim then blow, go home, wait till the rain stops, could be days..then drive the route again, mow long grass, edge, possibly trim, blow, all for the same cut price. I'd rather just get it done in one trip, and save money...cause you obviously can't charge twice for just doing a trim one day, then coming back another day and doing a normal service...and if I could, I would be doing the rain dance every singe night.

If I get rained out for one day...everything gets put onto the next day.

If I get rained out for two days...I'm basically screwed and have to cut some thick arse grass the next week.

I do cut in the rain, but when it's down pouring or lightning going down...I quit.

Matt Hermann
04-26-2010, 09:24 PM
id still cut inless its unbearable, especially with that many days of rain all the make up work, just go over the lawn 2 times and bag it...

grassman177
04-26-2010, 09:25 PM
pretty much unless you have very few accounts this is very inefficient and i would not do it

Matt Hermann
04-26-2010, 09:29 PM
if they are smaller yards, and if he is behind 3 days, its better than doing nothing

clean_cut
04-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Is it worth the drive time to trim the lawns? It seems like it would take a lot of time and gas for 10 min on each lawn, especially if they are spread out.

Ford4Ever
04-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the input. I have never done it mainly for the reasons that you all posted. I guess I can look foreward to a few long days cutting when it finally stops :cry:

Glenn Lawn Care
04-26-2010, 10:33 PM
nope, i just make sure there is plenty of beer in the fridge!! :laugh: :drinkup:

rustyj
04-26-2010, 11:23 PM
I know someone who trims his big propertys when it rains and mows them when its dry seems very expensive to do this
Posted via Mobile Device

Larson Lawn Care
04-27-2010, 09:51 AM
I trim when it's wet especially if I have something important going on for the weekend. I just throw the trimmer and blower in the truck (less gas than hauling the trailer) and trim away. yes it will cost you more to get the lawns done but if you can trim two days worth of lawns then the next day (if dry) mow all of them and get back on schedule why not. I'd rather be on top of my schedule and spend a little more money than be behind and possibly miss out on money.

rustyj
04-27-2010, 11:09 AM
That's a good point
Posted via Mobile Device

Charles
04-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Never done it here and never will do it. Just would confuse the customer for one thing. Trim would quickly grow back with all that rain and make things uneven. You would have to blow wet grass of the drive and walk ways. Cost you gas and mileage.
Cut when wet. Better than cutting a field. I cut during light rain. This is if it is going to rain a lot during the week. Keep your blades sharp.
But whatever works for you. I just wouldn't do it. If you have to do that then you may have too many yards for the type weather conditions you get.
We all have some senile customers:

Charles, here is your check. The yard looks really nnnn wth!!!? Nah I just trimmed it up. So when will you be back to cut? Dunno whenever it dries. Ok I will hold your check until then. Next week and you are back and mow only. You were just here last week Charles! I am not paying you to cut every week! Remember I just trimmed it last week. Well it doesn't look trimmed to me!...................

Richard Martin
04-27-2010, 03:11 PM
I've been known to do it a few times. A lot of times my yards are major trimming jobs. It takes as long to trim as it does to mow. If I know it's not going to rain the next day and cutting is impossible on the current day then yeah, I'll throw the trimmer and the gas in the truck and go. It makes things a whole lot easier than trying to get 14 hours of mowing and trimming done in one day. The only added expense is that from driving the truck around. I'll pay it.

93Chevy
04-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Heck, most of my lawns it takes me just as long to trim as it does to mow, thanks to my new 48." There are some properties where this would be feasible for me, I've actually thought about doing this. Haven't had to yet, but I'm glad I'm not the only one that's ever thought of it.

Cboy7
04-27-2010, 05:29 PM
I hear that when you run a chevy , you can pretty much mow in the rain and it will look just super duper

KyLawnscapes
04-27-2010, 09:08 PM
We did this today. We have a HOA entrance thats 14 acres and takes about 15 man hrs of trimming weekly. We knocked it out today and dont have to touch a trimmer tom. Thats a good feeling.

JCPM
04-27-2010, 09:29 PM
I mow as long as it isn't downpouring. It rained most of today and I still managed 21 lawns for the day.

Last year it rained almost every week as well as 22 days in June.
Posted via Mobile Device

Larson Lawn Care
04-27-2010, 11:48 PM
Well, I'm glad I trimmed 19 of my lawns yesterday because I was able to fit in 29 lawns from 11 to 8 (9hrs) by myself. For the record, it rained this morning so I couldn't start until 11. In the past I would trim my lawns even if there was rain expected for the next several days. It has always helped me and never hurt me. I've never had to skip the mowing for a week because of too much rain making trim only pointless. Like I said before, I'd rather be ahead of the game than behind and lose money... more money than it would cost me to drive the truck around with a trimmer and blower. I have 65 lawns that I maintain on my own, so I have to stay on top of everything.

Southern Pride
04-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Lot of variables to consider.

Obviously, If you only had a few yards in close vicinity it could make sense, but honestly, no. Not worth it. Just be straight up with the customers. Surely they should understand if you can't work, then you can't work. If they don't understand, forget em'.