PDA

View Full Version : Just an unconventional thought on trimming.

A1Lawns
04-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Has anyone ever paid a guy to go out and trim their lawns a day or two before you show up to cut? I won't go into the reasons for this..but has anyone done this, and why?

HARRIS Property Management
04-26-2010, 11:44 PM
never. But will be interested to hear why anyone would do this....

A day or two in advance..I would be afraid the customer would think we showed up and just trimmed,in return creating unnecessary problems

MikeKle
04-26-2010, 11:51 PM
Why waste extra fuel to visit the same property twice? Although I have heard of big outfits having a trimming crew and a mowing crew that go around separately. I would never get caught up operating like that anyway, plus you would end up blowing twice, once when you trim and again when your done mowing...why do that?

rustyj
04-27-2010, 12:20 AM
No way this would cost company way to much
Posted via Mobile Device

FourTrees
04-27-2010, 12:55 AM
I'd never do it. But I got this friend (older gentleman) who pays someone to go to a large account and trim then blow the place. Its a massive trimming job, I know I actually used to have the property.

Like I said he is a friend, but part of me wonders about his actual profits on the place doing this method. I know the work involved and know about what the property is worth each cut having done it. Unless he is getting a killer deal on wages for the trimmer guy then it just does not seem profitable.

LwnmwrMan22
04-27-2010, 01:24 AM
1-2 days in advance, no. There'd be too many places grass would end up on the sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, etc.

However, I've got an irrigation guy that also does some lawn mowing on the side.

Together, we have enough work for a trimmer guy for 2 days per week, so he trims for us on those 2 days.

He'll start about an hour before we go out, and throughout the day, he'll either trim my buddies property, or mine.

We have our schedules set up so the lawns pretty much stagger back and forth of where the trimmer guy will be.

We do the same thing in the winter with 2 guys that snowblow. They run between our properties.

I also do all the fertilizing at on my buddy's properties in exchange for him doing all the irrgation work on my properties.

We're essentially running 1 company seperately.

ed2hess
04-27-2010, 10:12 PM
We handle some HOA properties in reverse to your plan. We mow them a day or so before the trim team gets to the site. This way one guy can mow the properties which takes about a day each. Five trim guys can knock out the trimming in about 2 hours or less. Otherwise we would have to put multiple mowers to balance with trim guys. I like mowing first because it reduces the amont of trimming.