PDA

View Full Version : Trailer gate assist

tomofficial
04-26-2010, 10:43 PM
I have a 12 foot open trailer with heavy duty gate, looking for feedback on which is the best assist mfg to lighten the load on opening and closing the gate, Thanks!:usflag:

HARRIS Property Management
04-26-2010, 10:48 PM
I have a landscape truck with a 16 ft bed and a heavy duty tailgate. Last winter I installed a hydraulic ram that has a 'gravity' down and 'power' up. The switch is installed close to the tailgate. Me or my guys have never had a back ache since! Was about a $500 project and well worth the money.

grassman177
04-26-2010, 10:52 PM
we have tried many, and the type that are enclosed with rollers and braided cable all, i repeat all broke cables all the time. not worth it. now we have some elegators and they may be ugly and are big springs, but dude, they seriously work very well

MikeKle
04-26-2010, 10:58 PM
I have a landscape truck with a 16 ft bed and a heavy duty tailgate. Last winter I installed a hydraulic ram that has a 'gravity' down and 'power' up. The switch is installed close to the tailgate. Me or my guys have never had a back ache since! Was about a $500 project and well worth the money.

So you have a separate hydraulic system for one trailer gate? I thought about trying an electric ram, or linear actuator, but was unsure how fast it would operate. I would hate to spend all that money building it and having to wait forever for it to raise and lower every time! I use the Eric Elm gate assist, which is not the safest, but it works great! Ive often wondered if those cylinders that open hatchbacks and engine hoods would work? pneumatic cylinders, They are not that pricey and some of them can handle alot of weight! But I think it would be hard to determine the exact size and weight rating you would need, and the placement would have to be exact to get the maximum benefit, but they could be mounted on the underside of the gate instead of taking up rail space too. I may look into this a little more? Anyone have this type of set up?

jpp
04-26-2010, 10:59 PM
I have the gorrilla gate lifts. Knock on wood that I don't have the same luck as grassman177. Have only had it for one year.

LouisianaLawnboy
04-26-2010, 11:03 PM
I have a Racke 'Em Manufacturing Double Barrel lift. It is like a big bike chain and then a normal chain at the end. I hope it holds up. Been having it for a few months now. Well worth the $$$. I think they are having sell right now too, for like 139.00 shipped to your door.

ashgrove landscaping
04-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Just lift the gate up p!@#$%^. You sit on a mower all day or walk behind, doesn't matter, dont ya. Jesus i cant stand the laziness with you people. Unbelieveable! You guys should be ashamed of your laziness.

04-26-2010, 11:08 PM
So you have a separate hydraulic system for one trailer gate? I thought about trying an electric ram, or linear actuator, but was unsure how fast it would operate. I would hate to spend all that money building it and having to wait forever for it to raise and lower every time! I use the Eric Elm gate assist, which is not the safest, but it works great! Ive often wondered if those cylinders that open hatchbacks and engine hoods would work? pneumatic cylinders, They are not that pricey and some of them can handle alot of weight! But I think it would be hard to determine the exact size and weight rating you would need, and the placement would have to be exact to get the maximum benefit. Anyone have this type of set up?

I went to a hydraulic repair shop and bought a ram and pump from him. The pump and tank is all together and isnt really that big. Mounted under the bed. Its not slow raising up or down...it all depends on the size of the hoses you use to allow how much fluid to flow. I had to build my own mounting brackets but if anyone has a grinder and welder then you dont have a problem. Its the stuff...especially when you dont have to open and close a gate 15 to 20 times a day.

04-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Just lift the gate up p!@#$%^. You sit on a mower all day or walk behind, doesn't matter, dont ya. Jesus i cant stand the laziness with you people. Unbelieveable! You guys should be ashamed of your laziness.

My gate weighs almost 300 pounds. Its 8 feet wide and 6 feet tall when unfolded so come lift my gate all day 'Mr Macho Man'.

LouisianaLawnboy
04-26-2010, 11:13 PM
My gate weighs almost 300 pounds. Its 8 feet wide and 6 feet tall when unfolded so come lift my gate all day 'Mr Macho Man'.

I don't think he is ever used a gate assist. Once you use one there is no going back.

ashgrove landscaping
04-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Well harris that s your own fault. Why would you have a 300 pound gate?!

LouisianaLawnboy
04-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Well harris that s your own fault. Why would you have a 300 pound gate?!

Because he got tired of lifting his mower up to the back of his ranger like you.

ashgrove landscaping
04-26-2010, 11:18 PM
I have used a gate assist before and think they are silly and a gimmick and waste of money. Get in shape is all I can tell you guys who use one.

MikeKle
04-26-2010, 11:20 PM
I went to a hydraulic repair shop and bought a ram and pump from him. The pump and tank is all together and isnt really that big. Mounted under the bed. Its not slow raising up or down...it all depends on the size of the hoses you use to allow how much fluid to flow. I had to build my own mounting brackets but if anyone has a grinder and welder then you dont have a problem. Its the stuff...especially when you dont have to open and close a gate 15 to 20 times a day.

Oh yeah, Ive seen those combined hydro units, I bet that is a nice set up, could you post some pics of it? and to that idiot who thinks we are lazy..You try raising and lowering that gate all day when you have a bad back to begin with, it even gets heavy by midday for young 20 yr olds! If there is a solution that makes your job easier, it is not lazy, it is innovative BTW!

04-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Oh yeah, Ive seen those combined hydro units, I bet that is a nice set up, could you post some pics of it? and to that idiot who thinks we are lazy..You try raising and lowering that gate all day when you have a bad back to begin with, it even gets heavy by midday for young 20 yr olds! If there is a solution that makes your job easier, it is not lazy, it is innovative BTW!

I will take a short video of it opening and closing and where the hydro unit is mounted tomorrow evening when I get in and post it. Thanks, I think its a good setup.

tomofficial
04-26-2010, 11:38 PM
we have tried many, and the type that are enclosed with rollers and braided cable all, i repeat all broke cables all the time. not worth it. now we have some elegators and they may be ugly and are big springs, but dude, they seriously work very well Thanks I'll try them!

milkie62
04-26-2010, 11:48 PM
My gate is suppose to support 3000 lbs.It has to weigh at least 125 lbs. You just cannot grab it and pick it up.I plan on getting one of the lifts.
By the way Mr ash grove I do all the things that ash grove guys can do and I definitely would love an assisted gate !!!!!!

dhardin53
04-27-2010, 11:06 AM
i Built my own spring assist lift. It's 6'6" wide and 6' long, it fold in half so it only 3' tall.One hand with little effort will close the gate. Or that's till i was loading my skid steer. The gate alone weighs 250 lbs. and will handle any mower out there but my skid steer is 6500 lbs. I was supporting the ramp when loading the skid steer, but once last year I left a pin in the braw bar and it got hooked on the ground and the ramp as i was loading and it bounced a few times and the jack stands fell way and i jumped on the ramp and nearly folded it in two. Well to say the least its sprung some, but after a lot of straighting it works well still usable, just more effort to raise it.

My problem this year is i just had open heart surgery 7 weeks ago, so as soon as i get caught up I'm going to add a 12v boat winch to the spring assist.

Its sucks getting old....

Dan H

Quality Cuts PLS
04-27-2010, 11:12 AM
elegator - simple and works great. It is much better than the Gorilla Lifts I had in the past. My 3 year old lifts the 6.5 x 4 gate with one finger. I think I posted about this in the past, but it is a custom made spring to be used in this configuration - not a garage door spring.

MikeKle
04-27-2010, 11:29 AM
i Built my own spring assist lift. It's 6'6" wide and 6' long, it fold in half so it only 3' tall.One hand with little effort will close the gate. Or that's till i was loading my skid steer. The gate alone weighs 250 lbs. and will handle any mower out there but my skid steer is 6500 lbs. I was supporting the ramp when loading the skid steer, but once last year I left a pin in the braw bar and it got hooked on the ground and the ramp as i was loading and it bounced a few times and the jack stands fell way and i jumped on the ramp and nearly folded it in two. Well to say the least its sprung some, but after a lot of straighting it works well still usable, just more effort to raise it.

My problem this year is i just had open heart surgery 7 weeks ago, so as soon as i get caught up I'm going to add a 12v boat winch to the spring assist.

Its sucks getting old....

Dan H

Youve had open heart surgery 7 weeks ago and you are out doing this type of work?!!!

mowisme
04-27-2010, 12:04 PM
David- forget about ashgroves comment- totally un-called for. Like saying..why use self propel when you can just push non-motor powered one..less being lazy. If you have 10 accounts..no big deal- you have 75+ then it is a big deal. If you have perfectly healthy back- maybe..but if you have not so healthy back- you need to do it smart-no other choice unless you want to be bed ridden half the week...( none of the above does he know) and of course size and strength all are factors too- I been lifting weights for 35 years- I'm 57..and my gate was close to yours- let me tell you- trying to raise and lower all day after a hard workout night before got to be a real challenge at times. Just forget his comment. research the ones that have some positive nput to them. Geno

Runner
04-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Please do look in to just building your own. these things are just WAY too simple to do, and you can build one better than any you can buy - and for a fraction of the cost. I have about 40 bucks into mine, and have built several others for lawn services and even a school system that wanted a few. On my main trailer, I am able to lift my gate with one finger (however, I don't...I just flick it up with my toe and it comes up to waist high for me to grab and bring to the top effortlessly). There are steps on here on how to build one, including parts list. Do a search, and I know I have explained mine in detail. One of the main tricks is to do the trial size ups to know right where to put the eyebolt on your gate, and still clear the rear edge of your rail with the cable. The further toward the end of you gate you can mount it, the more leverage it will have. This is varied against the amount of pull on the spring, though. This is where the trials come in - holding or clamping the cable on the gate to see how much total pull length there is as the gate lowers.
as far as the exposed spring type lift assists,...I would go without an assist before I would trust one of these things. That spring lets go (all it takes is once), and it would take someone's jaw off the their face, if not take their head off. That's just crazy.

tomofficial
04-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Please do look in to just building your own. these things are just WAY too simple to do, and you can build one better than any you can buy - and for a fraction of the cost. I have about 40 bucks into mine, and have built several others for lawn services and even a school system that wanted a few. On my main trailer, I am able to lift my gate with one finger (however, I don't...I just flick it up with my toe and it comes up to waist high for me to grab and bring to the top effortlessly). There are steps on here on how to build one, including parts list. Do a search, and I know I have explained mine in detail. One of the main tricks is to do the trial size ups to know right where to put the eyebolt on your gate, and still clear the rear edge of your rail with the cable. The further toward the end of you gate you can mount it, the more leverage it will have. This is varied against the amount of pull on the spring, though. This is where the trials come in - holding or clamping the cable on the gate to see how much total pull length there is as the gate lowers.
as far as the exposed spring type lift assists,...I would go without an assist before I would trust one of these things. That spring lets go (all it takes is once), and it would take someone's jaw off the their face, if not take their head off. That's just crazy. Thanks Joe, was there an attachment you mentioned parts list etc? did I miss something?

alanauer
05-09-2010, 03:44 PM
My Gorilla lift wasn't costly and still works perfectly after five years.

mowisme
05-10-2010, 09:05 AM
in light of earlier post..I was wondering?..I built a tilt bed box on truck once using a Mayer snow plow electric/hydrolic ram. It will raise a 500# plow so will raise any gate. No extra resevior or pump needed ..just 12-v power supply. Power up- gravity down. BUT..will they work horizontal is in question? gear box might get starved for oil?..be sweet if worked! Just have a weather proof up/down switch near end of trailer.

alanauer
05-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Mowisme, I assume you'd take the power from the tow vehicle. But if you ever had to raise the gate when the trailer's not connected, even if it had a brake battery they're not very strong and you'd need to re-connect.

By the way, your company name is worthy of a pass-by spot on The Simpsons!

mowisme
05-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Gotcha on that name..need new one before I get old and Die. I never considered the battery. I guess you'd want to be on truck power- even then might bring down truck battery if raised/lowered 75 times + a day. Not the case here..but for others. I think it would not work right horizontal anyway. leak maybe- or just not built to operate that angle.

MikeKle
05-12-2010, 09:52 AM
in light of earlier post..I was wondering?..I built a tilt bed box on truck once using a Mayer snow plow electric/hydrolic ram. It will raise a 500# plow so will raise any gate. No extra resevior or pump needed ..just 12-v power supply. Power up- gravity down. BUT..will they work horizontal is in question? gear box might get starved for oil?..be sweet if worked! Just have a weather proof up/down switch near end of trailer.

Dont forget, a ram used to raise a trailer gate needs alot of stroke length. I doubt a ram from a snow plow will have that much stroke? I am looking into those gas shocks like are used on hatchbacks and such, they are pretty cheap and need no power supply, just have to figure out the correct weight rating one to buy? That is the hard part.

alanauer
05-12-2010, 10:17 AM
A trailer gate weighs much more than a vehicle hatch, it's longer, and it has to rotate through a bigger arc. So there might be an attachment problem. I think you'd find that something like the Gorilla Lift won't cost much more than a pair of large hatch struts.

KingImprovements
05-13-2010, 12:17 AM
I saw an LCO the other day that had two of those struts under his trailer gate they couldn't have been more than a couple inches long. Looked like he welded a tab to both the gate and the actual trailer and secured it to both pieces. He didn't struggle when picking it up.
Posted via Mobile Device

cclllc
05-16-2010, 01:33 PM
I built a set for both my trailers.I have a bad disc in my back so I had to do something(not lazy).I spent about 100.00 for both trailers and a small amount of labor on my part.They work great.I can kick the gate up with one foot.No bending over.I have 2 springs on each trailer.It is very simple to build using garage door springs.You just need to know what spring to buy.I have them covered in 1.5 inch pipe in case it snaps. I have never had any issues with them breaking unless they get damaged on my part.

MikeKle
05-16-2010, 04:15 PM
A quick note about garage door springs that many of us use for gate assists, you can get better ones and weight ratings up to 250lbs at garage door companies instead of buying from hardware stores and lowes or home depot. They are usually cheaper too! A&E door around here sells a 190lb spring with double rolled ends for $12.!!