PDA

View Full Version : Best mower brand for wet conditions?

lawnsaspire
04-27-2010, 01:51 AM
While I think it's been established that the Quick mowers are the worst mowers for wet or even thick grass and clogging problems, I was just wondering what mower is the best for wet conditions? Which one seems to you to have the least problems w/ clogging? I've heard Scag, but what do you think?

lawnboy dan
04-27-2010, 09:30 AM
you can forget toro wb with tbar . awefull in wet

topsites
04-27-2010, 09:34 AM
That's like folks who ask me what kind of grass will do well in the shade.
The simple answer is none of them do, same with mowers in the wet.

Rivervalleylawns
04-27-2010, 11:35 AM
That's like folks who ask me what kind of grass will do well in the shade.
The simple answer is none of them do, same with mowers in the wet.
What about fescue or zohia sp?
Posted via Mobile Device

FastMan
04-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Any mower with a scag velocity deck. Seems to be the consensus around here that that deck is best in the wet stuff. If I was still back in Buffalo it's what I'd have.

Lawnman J
04-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Its been raining here in Louisville the last week and I have been out mowing with my Q36 and I have had no real issues ,some double cutting because I put it off a few days hoping it would end..but all in all I pounded them out without no problems...

Mike Blevins
04-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Any mower with a scag velocity deck. Seems to be the consensus around here that that deck is best in the wet stuff. If I was still back in Buffalo it's what I'd have.

I'll second that. I mowed a set of townhouses yesterday in the rain and the velocity plus 61" deck did an awsome job.

Bob_n_weave
04-27-2010, 01:17 PM

That's interesting, My new Toro 36" WB T-bar has been doing good in the wet grass.

FastMan
04-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Obviously, the T-bar drive control has nothing to do with wet grass performance, it's all about the deck. Bob n weave, do you have the turbo force deck on your new toro?

FastMan
04-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Mike, glad to hear you're still lovin your tiger. Sorry I deserted you and went with a Toro G3. With the cutting conditions I'm dealing with out here in the dry air colorado mountains, the velocity deck just didn't offer enough of the advantages it does back east to justify sacrificing the handling I liked more in the G3/lazer.

Hey, do you have the kaw 29 efi in your rig?

joslawn33
04-27-2010, 01:48 PM
John Deere 7iron is without a doubt the best. Ive ran scag since 03 demoed a deere in 08 and was just amazed last year here w ky was mostly ran was cutting grass in november never seen the grass like it was last year. Anyway mowed wet grass all last year with no probs at all. Liked it so well sold the tiger cub and bought a 710a john deere with a 7iron 48in deck it does real well to. The one I bought in 08 was a 830.

RTR Landscaping
04-27-2010, 01:50 PM
The Scag Velocity deck cuts wet and high grass really well.

mowerbrad
04-27-2010, 02:02 PM
I'll agree with the John Deere 7-iron deck. The 7-iron decks have performed the best for me in wet conditions.

clydebusa
04-27-2010, 02:07 PM
That's interesting, My new Toro 36" WB T-bar has been doing good in the wet grass.

Same here, but I will say when you disengage it you have to do a clean up.

BrunoT
04-27-2010, 03:07 PM

Thanks for that valuable well thought out advice.

I'm curious. How does the T bar steering affect the deck?

Which deck are you talking about? They make fixed, floating, sfs, turbo force, and other designs. Two blade, three blade? Which was it? What grass were you cutting?

Or were you just having a few beers and got carried away?

Mike Blevins
04-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Mike, glad to hear you're still lovin your tiger. Sorry I deserted you and went with a Toro G3. With the cutting conditions I'm dealing with out here in the dry air colorado mountains, the velocity deck just didn't offer enough of the advantages it does back east to justify sacrificing the handling I liked more in the G3/lazer.

Hey, do you have the kaw 29 efi in your rig?

Yes my tiger has the 29 dfi. No telling how much money I have saved on fuel in the last 3 years. Especially since I just realized that gas is etching up near 3.00 a gallon again.

FastMan
04-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Yes my tiger has the 29 dfi. No telling how much money I have saved on fuel in the last 3 years. Especially since I just realized that gas is etching up near 3.00 a gallon again.

Have you done any GPH fuel consumption measurements? I'll be interested to compare them to what I get in my new kohler 29efi. I believe your kaw has more cc's (I could be wrong), so by rights the kolher should do better, but it will be interesting to see.

LawnCareNoobie
04-27-2010, 06:43 PM
John Deere's 7 Iron.

mowerbrad
04-27-2010, 07:07 PM
When you look at decks for mowing wet grass there is alot to look at. You have to make sure that the discharge opening is large enough to disperse the clippings properly to avoid clumping. The more baffles under the deck, the worse the deck will perform in wet conditions. "Square" corners in decks will trap grass and cause clumping, decks that have smooth corners will cause less clumping. You will also want to make sure that the mower that is coupled with the deck has the power to move through wet or thick growth.

Here's some pictures of the scag velocity, JD 7-iron and exmark triton (hope this works).....

theheisk
04-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Velocity Plus! No complaints with mine in wet or thick conditions.
Posted via Mobile Device

luckylawnboy
04-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Had them all deere by far. They do not cut the blades up as small but they do not ball up and make green gooo. Go demo a new Deere then you will see. My Deeres use less gas because the decks are more efficient and require less power when handling lots of grass.

BrunoT
04-29-2010, 05:21 PM
When you look at decks for mowing wet grass there is alot to look at. You have to make sure that the discharge opening is large enough to disperse the clippings properly to avoid clumping. The more baffles under the deck, the worse the deck will perform in wet conditions. "Square" corners in decks will trap grass and cause clumping, decks that have smooth corners will cause less clumping. You will also want to make sure that the mower that is coupled with the deck has the power to move through wet or thick growth.

Here's some pictures of the scag velocity, JD 7-iron and exmark triton (hope this works).....

Check out the big brain on Brad! Excellent presentation.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Not sure that Quick makes the WORST deck for wet conditions....
I am sure there are plenty other's too.

carguyrob
04-29-2010, 11:41 PM
My 61" Velocity Plus deck is great in the wet, at least as good as you can get in the wet.

lawnboy dan
04-30-2010, 09:14 AM
its not the deck thats the prob-its the belts slip when mowing wet grass and will even break.

Lawn Pawn
04-30-2010, 09:46 AM
For me.......

Removing this plate worked even better for long wet grass. Love the deck.

SouthSide Cutter
04-30-2010, 08:35 PM
I have to mow when its wet and the Scag Velocity is the best Ive seen with the 7Iron next. My yard is pretty nice right now and I let it get to high. It didnt look it until you walked in it. And it was wet when I cut it. Its thick short fescue. I would be willing to make anyone a offer. If you think your mower will cut better than my TT Velocity I will let it get tall again and you can bring your mower and we will cut side beside. Now were talking 29hp gas and 61". So we need to be fair. If your mower will out cut my Scag and not clump and make the yard look nice you can have it, but if it out cuts yours I get it.

Tyner Lawn Service
04-30-2010, 10:34 PM
I like my 7 iron decks but it seems others do fine. Depends on the mowing height and type of grass.

Bob_n_weave
05-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Obviously, the T-bar drive control has nothing to do with wet grass performance, it's all about the deck. Bob n weave, do you have the turbo force deck on your new toro?

yep, Turbo Force deck on WB and Grandstand. Grandstand weighs in at 1000 pounds with me standing on it so I use WB if turf too soft for that.

LifeBack Lawns
06-07-2013, 12:06 AM
let me know if this helps...raining pretty hard if you look at the ground. Cut height was 4" also. The deck is a Velocity too. This house was for sale and bank owned. Notice the shrubs need trimming, but the bare minimum is what they want.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-07-2013, 02:00 AM
Old thread but worth commenting on.

My brother bought a Vride this year, 52" V+ deck. It has been wet as a waterfall here all spring, so lots of wet lawn cutting for that Vride. I was expecting him to say that the cut was very good with minimal clumping, in moderately wet conditions. Instead, he said he likes the manueverability of the machine, but the deck is not what he thought it could do. Still shoots wads just like any other deck, when cutting thick KBG/rye/fescues.
So my vote goes to the Deere decks - I have seen them cut in the wet they do better than my Toro deck for sure.

LifeBack Lawns
06-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Old thread but worth commenting on.

My brother bought a Vride this year, 52" V+ deck. It has been wet as a waterfall here all spring, so lots of wet lawn cutting for that Vride. I was expecting him to say that the cut was very good with minimal clumping, in moderately wet conditions. Instead, he said he likes the manueverability of the machine, but the deck is not what he thought it could do. Still shoots wads just like any other deck, when cutting thick KBG/rye/fescues.
So my vote goes to the Deere decks - I have seen them cut in the wet they do better than my Toro deck for sure.

Hmm. All I know is mine disperses them great with no clumps. I was cutting in a hard rain and a bunch of weeds, but no clumps etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cooter
06-07-2013, 01:36 PM
We have had the best luck w Deere's 7Iron. Tried velocity and in thick kbg it will still wad up. Our older 7 Irons w lower blade speed are the best for wet conditions. I have sold mowers only 1 yr old as we could not cut n the mornings. We've tried them all and always come back to the Deere's. Although we now have onw w a grammer seat and it gets used quite a bit, cut sucks n wet grass though.
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnCareNoobie
06-07-2013, 02:09 PM
For me, it seems that the bigger the deck, the better it stays clean and spreads clippings. I find a bit more build up under my 54" 7 iron decks while hardly much under the 60".