PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Seeds in Your Area ?

EdTLawn
04-27-2010, 01:38 AM
The cost of seeds here in Quebec, Canada has risen 3-4 times the cost compared to last year. Any reasons why ?

A 1.5kg(@3lbs) bag is now at a ridiculous $15.99-$24.99(CAD dollar at par now with USD) I am always on the look out for good deals. I don't what to spend more than $1.50-$2.00/lbs

betmr
04-27-2010, 02:44 PM
I wonder if it has anything to do with Canada's ban on pesticides?

EdTLawn
04-27-2010, 05:17 PM
I wonder if it has anything to do with Canada's ban on pesticides?

The ban started 3 summers ago and only certain provinces are affected and seed prices were not affected back then till this year. I was able to pick up two bags of 22lbs Scott's general purpose seeds for half price at Home Depot yesterday because the bags had a little tear in them. Home Depot has the best prices for 10kg/22lbs bags of seeds here locally regardlessly.

rcreech
04-27-2010, 10:42 PM
The cost of seeds here in Quebec, Canada has risen 3-4 times the cost compared to last year. Any reasons why ?

A 1.5kg(@3lbs) bag is now at a ridiculous $15.99-$24.99(CAD dollar at par now with USD) I am always on the look out for good deals. I don't what to spend more than $1.50-$2.00/lbs

Not sure why that would be.

I am paying almost 50% less then I was 2 years ago! Due to the lack of new construction...there is a surplus of seed!

I know a guy with a 600 acre sod farm that isn't very happy right now either. He can't hardly even give it away right now!

JFGauvreau
04-28-2010, 08:16 AM

I know what you mean man, I really don't make a lot of money on my over-seeding service, if not any money.

Last time I did a small application I put down around 7lbs for 23,00$, and they were cheap seeds to, not the best on the market, and I hate not putting the best seeds for my customers.

Try checking out Ritchie feed n seed inc. Not sure if they have some franchise in quebec. Or else keep shopping around try to buy in bags of at least 25kg.