PDA

View Full Version : Ledge Stone Retaining Wall - ?

timscherer
04-27-2010, 03:23 AM
I would like to know how high can you build a dry stacked ledge stone retaining wall before you need to use mortar for the ledge stones, and a concrete foundation as opposed to aggregate material?

Any information to this question or additional related information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

4Russl5
04-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Sub it out to someone who knows what they are doing so everyone is happy. Particularly your customer.

timscherer
04-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Sub it out to someone who knows what they are doing so everyone is happy. Particularly your customer.

I thought this forum was used to get answers to questions to help share information on projects to improve quality of work, not answers like this - Thanks.

Anyone who can help answer my question would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

traderfjp
04-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Use a block adhesive. Dig down and add base. Then lay your blcoks on this and use adhesive for each block. The block will break before the adhesive bond.

Moneypit
04-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Use a block adhesive. Dig down and add base. Then lay your blcoks on this and use adhesive for each block. The block will break before the adhesive bond.

Wow, you should really stop giving people advise. The sad part is, someone who does not know any better might actually listen to you.

traderfjp
04-27-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm trying to be helpful. Here u go: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/h2layconcreteblock Basically what I said but with a concrete footing and mortar.

Moneypit
04-27-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm trying to be helpful. Here u go: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/h2layconcreteblock Basically what I said but with a concrete footing and mortar.

That link is to a DIY version of how to lay concrete block. Did you post the wrong link?

yardworks, inc.
04-27-2010, 10:48 PM
You can build a wall very tall if you know what you are doing. Stone walls have to be built a certain way, with the right setback and constructed very carefully. There are not very many stonemasons left who can build a natural stone retaining wall correctly. I would not try this if you have no experience, you are asking for trouble. There is a stonewall association based in Kentucky that might be able to help you locate someone in your area.

4Russl5
04-28-2010, 10:32 AM
As a dry stone mason who does this for a living.... It would be like me asking you for advice to maintain and mow a large estate or condo complex. I would be totally out of my league, even though I own a mower and hand pruners. If you are a GContractor, sub it out. Go to the Dry Stone Conservancy, www.drystone.org and read up.

timscherer
05-08-2010, 01:06 AM
I just want to thank everyone for the advice and your time answering my question. I will continue to do my research so I can expand my business and get more involved into Hardscaping.